Cashman coming home

Awesome news on an otherwise crappy news day.

Has really elevated his game as a pro. Never can tell until they hit the field, but I think he's a good fit for what Flores tries to do in terms of forcing the action.

Love this ! Now I get to watch a Gopher play here on Sundays !! Still can’t believe they didn’t get AW jr.

Awesome news for Blake! Has to be thrilled to be able to come back home and play for the Vikings. Paycheck will be nice as well :)

I have read Minnesota high school football recruits are late bloomers because of no spring football. Blake Cashman seems to be proof of that.

It's a great opportunity for him. he should slot in as a starting inside LB next to Ivan Pace, with the other two defensive signees taking over the DE/OLB positions.

and with Flores as the DC, I suspect Cashman will get some blitzing opportunities.

It's a great opportunity for him. he should slot in as a starting inside LB next to Ivan Pace, with the other two defensive signees taking over the DE/OLB positions.

and with Flores as the DC, I suspect Cashman will get some blitzing opportunities.
Agree and that's why I think he's a perfect fit for the Vikings. Flores plays a very "forward" defense to force the issue and that's jibes with Cashman's skill set.

You seem dumb. Cashman was great right out of the chute as a Gopher first on special teams then LB. He was lean in HS.
Why no scholarship? Great players receive scholarships. You did not comprehend my post. Reread then think what you read.

Cashman was one of those guys who was always around the football. I'd watch him, he is on one end of the line. The play happens on the other end of the line and quickly ends ... somehow he is under the entire pile and made a tackle. He's just always in there ...

Mr. Cashman, Dinkytown Athletes holding on line 2. They'll be with you shortly, as soon as they secure funding from Mr. Winfield.

Cashman is fast and has good instincts but not particularly big. I've seen him overpowered at point of attack or miss tackles by trying to move around blockers instead of attacking. That said, I like the signing, particularly if we can find a DT or 2 to shore up the middle and let him and Pace fly to the ball.

IAs many of you doubtless recall, in 2018 the Gopher defense was a mess until Rossi suddenly found the right buttons to push. Purdue came to town with their clever schemes and things looked bleak. When I come back to Minnesota to see the Gophers once a year, I always hope for interesting weather. We got a little dusting of snow that day and Purdue acted like a disoriented west coast team. Cashman strip sacked David Blough early in the 2nd half , got a friendly hop, took it the distance and the Gophers were on their way to a surprise rout. Cashman's play was an unforgettable moment and the Gophers went on to beat up Wisconsin and then Georgia Tech in a bowl game. Big things seemed possible for 2019 after that remarkable turn-around finish. Still feels fresh in my mind. Thank you, Blake!

Last edited:

Cashman had more tackles last year than the previous four years combined.

The Vikings have agreed to a 1 year deal with QB Sam Darnold.

The Vikings defense has reformed to the Flores 3-4.

The first year the Vikings switched to the 3-4, they didn't have the right personnel.

I like watching Kendricks play. He was one of my favorites. But he was not an outside or inside 3-4 linebacker. He actually did better than I thought the year they switched.

Now Cashman will play inside, flow to the ball, stop the run, be used creatively. He was a 4-3 linebacker last season but not the Kendricks outside 4-3 type.

All those years the Vikings were running a 4-3, producing great pass-rushing DEs (Doleman, Eller, Allen) and tackles that could get the QB (Page, Randle, Williams)... Interesting to watch the defense switch it up to the Flores 3-4.

I wonder if Barr will have a roster spot too? I liked watching him play back in the day.

Top Bottom