Cashius McNeilly & Emanuel Miller (Texas A&M) both in the portal

I would rather have a lot of scholarships open for the 22 class since Ben is supposed to sign them all (slight sarcasm), so I wouldn't be crushed with no additional freshman. We probably will need some balance to the roster though.
Normally, I would agree with you. Assuming the one-time transfer rule gets passed permanently, transfers will be more common moving forward. Having balanced classes, assuring you always have some open schollies every year due to graduating seniors, isn’t going to be nearly as great of a concern. Honestly, I think the new playbook just has to be get talent on the roster in whatever form. With the influx of good ‘22 kids in MN, I would hope to have at least 4 spots open next year for incoming freshman. I have no beef if the only true freshman we take this year is Thompson and load up on seniors/super seniors/grad transfers for a one-year stop-gap.

Normally, I would agree with you. Assuming the one-time transfer rule gets passed permanently, transfers will be more common moving forward. Having balanced classes, assuring you always have some open schollies every year due to graduating seniors, isn’t going to be nearly as great of a concern. Honestly, I think the new playbook just has to be get talent on the roster in whatever form. With the influx of good ‘22 kids in MN, I would hope to have at least 4 spots open next year for incoming freshman. I have no beef if the only true freshman we take this year is Thompson and load up on seniors/super seniors/grad transfers for a one-year stop-gap.
leaving scholarships open for kids who likely won’t come here is one option. And this isn’t negativity. Just being realistic.

leaving scholarships open for kids who likely won’t come here is one option. And this isn’t negativity. Just being realistic.
You may be right, I dunno. I stand by the fact that if BJ doesn't have a good haul of MN '22 kids, you may as well shut the thing down. If we rolled the dice on a guy to shut down the borders, and he doesn't do that, then what was the point of rolling the dice? Why didn't we just hire a more accomplished coach then? Fair or not, the '22 recruiting class will IMO will do a lot to define his potential. His record will ultimately define it, but if you can sell hope and potential, that can buy you a much longer leash. Striking out on the '22 kids dashes a bunch of the hope and potential.

You may be right, I dunno. I stand by the fact that if BJ doesn't have a good haul of MN '22 kids, you may as well shut the thing down. If we rolled the dice on a guy to shut down the borders, and he doesn't do that, then what was the point of rolling the dice? Why didn't we just hire a more accomplished coach then? Fair or not, the '22 recruiting class will IMO will do a lot to define his potential. His record will ultimately define it, but if you can sell hope and potential, that can buy you a much longer leash. Striking out on the '22 kids dashes a bunch of the hope and potential.
He would have to get some really good national recruits to make up for it

He would have to get some really good national recruits to make up for it

It likely starts with this very thread.

Cashius McNeilly rated significantly higher than King as a HS recruit. Both will have 4 years to play. One can contribute in 2021 and one cannot until 2022. For me, McNeilly would make me forget about King pretty quickly.

It likely starts with this very thread.

Cashius McNeilly rated significantly higher than King as a HS recruit. Both will have 4 years to play. One can contribute in 2021 and one cannot until 2022. For me, McNeilly would make me forget about King pretty quickly.
Agreed, not to mention Miller as well, a proven p6 scorer. Get the A&m guys + Rabraca and this will hush the pessimists

From this board you would assume these two have been already signed and were 20-10 1st round picks!
I think both would be really nice gets. If McNeily coaches here the odds of landing Cashius are very high and Miller would increase from 0 to something. Have to assume these pieces are in place. I’m not sold on McNeily. Hasn’t ever played a college game that I can see

Soon, Canada will be Gopher Country, eh?

He also has a year of high school and 4 years left.
Looks like Cashius was hurt and then opted out. Do we know what his injury was freshman year?
Left foot is all I've been able to find.

im sure its been said 10 times on this thread....

but is Cashius coming here basically as a freshman with 4 years left?

Agreed, not to mention Miller as well, a proven p6 scorer. Get the A&m guys + Rabraca and this will hush the pessimists
But why would Rebraca take a chance on the Gophers when he has Iowa wanting him to start next year?

But why would Rebraca take a chance on the Gophers when he has Iowa wanting him to start next year?
Probably true, but if it was so cut and dry he would have already signed with Iowa. Maybe he likes Twin Cities as opposed to Iowa city or 10 other things. Minnesota is a big ten school with alot to offer. Minnesota basketball may not be Michigan, but its also not Depaul.

Top Bottom