Cashed Out

Reaction score
Long time Gopherhole follower and die hard fan since I was child. My uncle attended the "U" and my father and I were season ticket holders for football at the Dome and Bank till I took a job in Arizona. With that being said, I've always had pride and defended the players/coaches effort tooth and nail regardless of the outcome in basketball and football. However, it looked painfully obvious last night that something was very off from an attitude/desire standpoint from both players and coaches. I was never athletic enough to play college sports, but I had a desire to win and work my ass off when given the chance back in the day. The lack of emotion and fire sans Fox last night was very telling.

If shots aren't falling, you adjust and drive to the hole or run some movement to get guys closer mid-range looks. CBJ looked like a deer in headlights and the players were on Spring Break. I know its not in CBJ persona to get fired up regarding a bad call, but hold your players accountable for their effort at least! From an outsider's perspective, it appeared that CBJ and staff know the writing is on the wall. If you're on going to go out, at least go out guns blazing with some heart and pride! I know I'm just rambling, but I hate seeing teams play with no heart and coaches that don't adjust when being outcoached. I'm all for giving CBJ year 4, but the lack of effort shown last night is very concerning.

If I were the AD, I'd have Ryan Saunders or Niko Medved on retainer if things go South quickly in year 4. I'll probably get labeled a troll as this is one of my first posts, but last night got me pretty fired up.

Last night was really bad, and a few weeks ago I thought Ben was safe for another year.

But now they are in danger of missing the NIT and I'm starting to wonder. Coyle has been known to work the back channels before the season is over, and I thought it was odd timing that a Brian Dutcher contract extension was announced yesterday.

Last night was bad (sans Fox). No way around it. As I said in WAG's thread, I can't see Coyle making a move after going from 2 wins to 9 BT wins, but that's just what my gut is telling me.

I don't see a scenario where there's a material increase in new season ticket holders this off-season, and at the end of the day, this is a business.

Go Gophers!!

If I were the AD, I'd have Ryan Saunders or Niko Medved on retainer if things go South quickly in year 4.

How exactly does one do that? Lawyers can get retainers but active coaches who are employees of other schools or teams? I doubt that Coyle could even get University approval for that expenditure.

How exactly does one do that? Lawyers can get retainers but active coaches who are employees of other schools or teams? I doubt that Coyle could even get University approval for that expenditure.

It was a figure of speech. I should have used the term "Short List" as an analogy instead. Point being, there will be a lot more eyes on the program and conference in general with the new media rights and expanded landscape. I remember back in the day, a loss like last night would not stand in this town. I truly think Saunders or Medved would inject new energy and both play at a more up-tempo pace. I was watching the CSU vs. Nevada game last week and you could feel the energy from the CSU student section through the TV.

Last night was really bad, and a few weeks ago I thought Ben was safe for another year.

But now they are in danger of missing the NIT and I'm starting to wonder. Coyle has been known to work the back channels before the season is over, and I thought it was odd timing that a Brian Dutcher contract extension was announced yesterday.
If two/more of Garcia/Payne/Christie/Hawkins bail you have to consider pulling the plug IMO. But I don't expect it to happen in any event.

It was a figure of speech. I should have used the term "Short List" as an analogy instead. Point being, there will be a lot more eyes on the program and conference in general with the new media rights and expanded landscape. I remember back in the day, a loss like last night would not stand in this town. I truly think Saunders or Medved would inject new energy and both play at a more up-tempo pace. I was watching the CSU vs. Nevada game last week and you could feel the energy from the CSU student section through the TV.
The Dry Heat must have got to you.

I have a retainer from 8th grade, it’s a little crusty with mold, does that work?

All ADs have a short list for all HCs; that’s a common practice, as there is occasionally a Larry Eustachy situation.
Coyle has mentioned this in the past and it wouldn’t make sense he’s an outlier.

He’s not going to get a quick hook, when he’s back for season 4, he’ll have the whole year, barring a real Hindenburg situation.

He’s outperformed the projections in the B10 media, where we were picked last and we were either last or next to last in the rest of them.

The team can still finish.500 and qualify for the postseason as well, by having a good showing in the conference tourney.

Coaches have off days, just lik players do. My dad coached me
In Legion Ball and also coached community college buckets; when I ragged on him on time about a baseball decision, he looked me straight in the eye and said, what about those errors last week?

Crickets 🦗 from me.

Last edited:

Man, at least come up with two different names. I know, I know, the Minnesota connection. Just look a little bit.

This was an ugly game, for sure! I was there. Been a season ticket holder many years. Believe me, I’ve seen many ugly games, and this ranks up there with the worst of them. The team was flat, for whatever reason, made some horrible passes that turned into turnovers, and shots that were not bad shots just did not fall. It snowballed on them. Unlike the PSU game, that had a similarly ugly first half, they could not “flip the switch” and get back in it.

However, I will take issue with the premise that there was a lack of effort. Garcia was continually double-teamed. Yes, he made some bad passes out of the double team, but he played hard every minute he was out there. He had 12 rebounds. Hawkins shot horribly and assists were down because you can’t get dimes unless your teammates make shots, but he also played hard every minute (and he was defended, as usual, by bigger guards). Payne went out with a back injury. Christie got hammered a couple times in efforts to take it to the rim. Mitchell, IMO, shot too much, but that is his version of trying too hard.

What game were you watching that left you with the impression they didn’t try hard? Basketball games can run on emotion and momentum. My guess is that they get their mojo back and beat N’W.

Long time Gopherhole follower and die hard fan since I was child. My uncle attended the "U" and my father and I were season ticket holders for football at the Dome and Bank till I took a job in Arizona. With that being said, I've always had pride and defended the players/coaches effort tooth and nail regardless of the outcome in basketball and football. However, it looked painfully obvious last night that something was very off from an attitude/desire standpoint from both players and coaches. I was never athletic enough to play college sports, but I had a desire to win and work my ass off when given the chance back in the day. The lack of emotion and fire sans Fox last night was very telling.

If shots aren't falling, you adjust and drive to the hole or run some movement to get guys closer mid-range looks. CBJ looked like a deer in headlights and the players were on Spring Break. I know its not in CBJ persona to get fired up regarding a bad call, but hold your players accountable for their effort at least! From an outsider's perspective, it appeared that CBJ and staff know the writing is on the wall. If you're on going to go out, at least go out guns blazing with some heart and pride! I know I'm just rambling, but I hate seeing teams play with no heart and coaches that don't adjust when being outcoached. I'm all for giving CBJ year 4, but the lack of effort shown last night is very concerning.

If I were the AD, I'd have Ryan Saunders or Niko Medved on retainer if things go South quickly in year 4. I'll probably get labeled a troll as this is one of my first posts, but last night got me pretty fired up.
Can you imagine what Mick Cronin what have been like last night if he were the Gopher coach? Oh boy!!!!

Last night was bad (sans Fox). No way around it. As I said in WAG's thread, I can't see Coyle making a move after going from 2 wins to 9 BT wins, but that's just what my gut is telling me.

I don't see a scenario where there's a material increase in new season ticket holders this off-season, and at the end of the day, this is a business.

Go Gophers!!
There has been increased buzz in the building this year, crowds have been up, and the team has gotten some positive press. That said, I would have a hard time predicting what that all means in terms of season ticket purchases. If the squad wilts toward the end here, that won't help.

One never wants to overreact to a winning streak or a losing streak, much less one bad game. Every team has ups and downs over the course of a season. I guess I'd put it this way: if this were a serial television show, I'd tune in next year to see where this goes. Not that I'm optimistic, as I've been vocal that Johnson is clearly in the lower third or quarter of Power 6 coaches in terms of ability and experience, and that's not what you want for the program you follow and the school you call your alma mater. But with the flashes this team has shown this year and the marked improvement in wins from last year, it would be hard for Coyle to dump his own hire this offseason, even if it finished on a three-game losing streak.

As nice of a guy as Ryan is, I would steer clear. Just not that good of a coach, maybe an assistant for the Gophers. But we need a bigger splash, a mid-major up and comer or Musselman.

If two/more of Garcia/Payne/Christie/Hawkins bail you have to consider pulling the plug IMO. But I don't expect it to happen in any event.
It's not mathematics with only 1 correct answer. It's not the laws of physics.

Sometimes doing well actually backfires. And I've been called crazy for hoping that Garcia & Christie slow down a little.

All a coach at Minnesota can do is give us a chance. Which Ben has done.

Yes, Musselman would be an upgrade. Saunders might be intriguing; not sure. Medved and the others mentioned don't excite me.

Last edited:

Sometimes doing well actually backfires. And I've been called crazy for hoping that Garcia & Christie slow down a little.

Yes, Musselman would be an upgrade. Saunders might be intriguing; not sure. Medved and the others mentioned don't excite me.
Why do you qualify "at Minnesota"?

As nice of a guy as Ryan is, I would steer clear. Just not that good of a coach, maybe an assistant for the Gophers. But we need a bigger splash, a mid-major up and comer or Musselman.
I’m curious about Musselman here.

He was presumably going to do very well this year.

Those that think teams are made each year vs developing over multiple years touted this year’s recruiting approach.

They ranked #7 in transfer rankings (247) with 4 - 4 star and 1 - 3 star player.

Arkansas was preseason #14 by AP
AK was picked by media poll 3rd in SEC.

They are 6-11 in conference, good for 12th of 14 in SEC.

But Johnson does? Seriously, most others mentioned have a resume to speak of. How's the resume for Ben look?

Better than damaged
or
Worse than damaged?

Can you imagine what Mick Cronin what have been like last night if he were the Gopher coach? Oh boy!!!!
Having sat in a folding chair right behind him one night in Cincy, yes I can imagine that. Oh boy is right! :)

On the game broadcasts they talk of Johnson in the running for BIG coach of the year. On here we talk of him being fired. I bet it ends up somewhere in between?

I don’t know, I think I already 👃 change in the air…
Stop stealing my bit, you hack🥸

Is college football “still dead” or has it recovered enough for Dakota Diva’s 🧑‍🎤 self-suspension to have been lifted?

I just bumped it, in case others forgot, or you try and delete your OP.

Last edited:

Why do you qualify "at Minnesota"?
Minnesota is like most P6 schools.

Not a blue-blood...and not an Ohio State or Miami type that will bribe a kid away for a several-hundred-thousand dollar payment.

Plus we're a little behind. Been pretty bad since Haskins.

But Johnson does? Seriously, most others mentioned have a resume to speak of. How's the resume for Ben look?

Better than damaged
or
Worse than damaged?
I don't want to replace Ben with a mediocre coach. We're in position to be very good if everyone returns.

Top Bottom