Carson Shanks to Minnesota pretty much a done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another thread taken over by Dpod and his giant inferiority complex which forces him to argue every point and defend every opinion like we are writing the declaration of independence and every word matters.

In the end Dpod, they are your opinions and others have different opinions and all the arguing in the world isn't going to change anything.

Might I offer the concept of "agree to disagree" and that "time will tell" as options to your continuous and, in my opinion, quit obnoxious need to be right, even when there is no possible way to be right because it is your opinion or prediction that has not passed.

This thread is my favorite Dpod example as you pose a question and then when people answer it, you argue that they are wrong. I love it! Nothing better than reading 10, 20 and even 30 posts in a thread where your instigation creates a pissing contest or two or three. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Please do your next favorite thing and go back into some past thread and pull an example of me doing this to prove that you are not the only one that does this...I love being reminding of my imperfections and hypocrisy, especially while you go all out to prove you are right yet again...but at least I admit I have them.

The best part is, while you are doing all that to prove you are the man, I'll be moving on and never looking at this thread again. This last statement is to see if you have the restraint to walk away or if you will have to respond because you can't just let it be when someone disagrees with you or finds you behavior on this board annoying and irritating. The best part is, if you don't respond, this statement goes unchallenged and it's like your admission I am right, if you do respond to this post it is proof that this post is accurate. Have a nice day!

Another thread taken over by Dpod and his giant inferiority complex which forces him to argue every point and defend every opinion like we are writing the declaration of independence and every word matters.

In the end Dpod, they are your opinions and others have different opinions and all the arguing in the world isn't going to change anything.

Might I offer the concept of "agree to disagree" and that "time will tell" as options to your continuous and, in my opinion, quit obnoxious need to be right, even when there is no possible way to be right because it is your opinion or prediction that has not passed.

This thread is my favorite Dpod example as you pose a question and then when people answer it, you argue that they are wrong. I love it! Nothing better than reading 10, 20 and even 30 posts in a thread where your instigation creates a pissing contest or two or three. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Please do your next favorite thing and go back into some past thread and pull an example of me doing this to prove that you are not the only one that does this...I love being reminding of my imperfections and hypocrisy, especially while you go all out to prove you are right yet again...but at least I admit I have them.

The best part is, while you are doing all that to prove you are the man, I'll be moving on and never looking at this thread again. This last statement is to see if you have the restraint to walk away or if you will have to respond because you can't just let it be when someone disagrees with you or finds you behavior on this board annoying and irritating. The best part is, if you don't respond, this statement goes unchallenged and it's like your admission I am right, if you do respond to this post it is proof that this post is accurate. Have a nice day!

I like to express my opinion on a message board. Perish the thought. You're not as clever as you think you are. You also whine a lot.

At least I've never been kicked off the board.

P.S. How are your Temple insiders doing? Feeding you some juicy Matt Rhule gossip?

Hahaha, great post.

If you believe his listed height/weight at USU, he's 7'0" 235 lbs. An inch taller and 5 pounds lighter than Eliason. Sure, he probably needs to add strength, but give it time.

If this report is true, its big for the low post depth going forward. Sure, we were looking to sign someone in late signing period, but Shanks will get to work with our strength staff way before any high school recruit could. Thats huge IMO. That extra 6-8 months can be crucial for a player's physical development. Heck, look what they did for Walker/Eliason in half that time.

With Walker and Eliason our only posts, it gives us another body to develop for when they both lose eligibility in 1.5 years. Right now, we have nobody.

I never had a real problem with Tubby's fall recruiting. Yeah, it fell off a little in the later years, but he was still getting some pretty good kids. The problem came with the whole transfer bonanza and the following spring recruiting he had to do to offset it. I won't name any specifics, but there were a few questionable pickups during that time that put the program back a little bit.

Pitino is taking in some transfers that might be considered questionable, but his recruits so far have produced, so I'm not gonna sweat it at this point, too early. With a full year, my expectations for 2015 are pretty high, mainly for the local kids now that he has time to establish those relationships and build that up. Losing out on Jarvis and Alex would hurt, probably more than this year's crew even, with the time he's had to bring them in.

But above anything else, if we start winning double digit conference games on a yearly basis, then I'm not really gonna trip over a few recruiting misses haha.

Hahaha, great post.

When other people ignore the topic altogether AND attack posters, it's laughed at and congratulated. When I do it (rarely), I'm an asshole and "Don Quixote" and "Doll" and whatever other idiotic nicknames people come up with. Kudos to the Tubby Bashers - you guys really stick together. If only you could gather all the energy consumed by your hatred of the previous coach and channel it toward improving the program going forward, we'd really have something.

If you believe his listed height/weight at USU, he's 7'0" 235 lbs. An inch taller and 5 pounds lighter than Eliason. Sure, he probably needs to add strength, but give it time.

If this report is true, its big for the low post depth going forward. Sure, we were looking to sign someone in late signing period, but Shanks will get to work with our strength staff way before any high school recruit could. Thats huge IMO. That extra 6-8 months can be crucial for a player's physical development. Heck, look what they did for Walker/Eliason in half that time.

With Walker and Eliason our only posts, it gives us another body to develop for when they both lose eligibility in 1.5 years. Right now, we have nobody.

Great points.

I like to express my opinion on a message board. Perish the thought. You're not as clever as you think you are. You also whine a lot.

At least I've never been kicked off the board.

P.S. How are your Temple insiders doing? Feeding you some juicy Matt Rhule gossip?

Dpod, it's well beyond the desire to express yourself. If that was all people thought you were doing it wouldn't be a problem. People believe you are arrogant and have a need to be superior to others at all times. Whether it's true or not, perception is reality. This is the perception that people have of you. So it's your reality whether you like it or not.

Many of your points in this thread are valid, and I defended you on them. However, it is your opinion that Tubby got a raw deal. It is not a fact. It's time to move on.

P.S. You would do yourself a favor if you didn't act like you were smarter than everyone else all the time. Trust me, you're not.

Does anyone know of a good video of Shanks? I'd like to see how athletic and skilled he is.

Does anyone know of a good video of Shanks? I'd like to see how athletic and skilled he is.

This seems to be the best video on youtube. Seems like he has decent footwork, but you really can't take away too much from the video.

it is your opinion that Tubby got a raw deal

Find me one (just one) other example, ever, in any sport, of a coach getting fired coming off his best year in his position (no illegalities or violations involved) and I'll concede the point.

It's time to move on.

As I've said many, many, many times, I'll gladly move on as soon as the Tubby Bashers do. I'd be happy to never discuss Tubby here again. Why do you tell me to move on and not your fellow Tubby Bashers?

I think you would have a hard time finding people that were unhappy about Tubby's first couple recruiting classes.

But let's not pretend that being the head coach at one of the two or three most accomplished basketball schools for ten years prior to his tenure here didn't give him some immediate clout with some of the recruits. Let's just say that he had a slightly higher pedigree when he got here than our current coach.

As knee jerk and absurd as it was for many posters to try to split up playing time between Newton, Whitehead, and Vaughn....it is equally absurd to declare he will never bring in high level talent. He hasn't even coached a Big Ten game yet. We need to let this play out a little bit for me.

^Exactly^

Coach Pitino has been here only nine months and he is already being taken to task for two recruiting classes?

Is Dpo constipated again?

This seems to be the best video on youtube. Seems like he has decent footwork, but you really can't take away too much from the video.

I looked everywhere and that's all I could find also. My first impression is positive. I always like having a 7-footer on the team and if Coach P. and staff like him, I can't wait to see him play. Also, I liked his offers from Colorado State, Utah State, USC, and Nebraska.

Does anyone know why he committed to Utah St. so early? He committed the summer before his junior year in high school. Not that it matters, but I'm curious.

Wrong. Wrong.

You're so clever with your cute little nicknames.

Because he did.

Again with the nicknames. So clever. You must be a riot down at the plant.

Don't like Richard and are very critical of his every move. Correct and correct.

Bad deal being given over half a decade to make it work and paid handsomely to do so.

Bad deal all the way.

The DOLL.

Find me one (just one) other example, ever, in any sport, of a coach getting fired coming off his best year in his position (no illegalities or violations involved) and I'll concede the point.

Cam Cameron - Indiana
1997 - 2-9 (1-7) T-9th
1998 - 4-7 (2-6) T-7th
1999 - 4-7 (3-5) T-8th
2000 - 3-8 (2-6) T-9th
2001 - 5-6 (4-4) T-4th Fired

As I've said many, many, many times, I'll gladly move on as soon as the Tubby Bashers do. I'd be happy to never discuss Tubby here again. Why do you tell me to move on and not your fellow Tubby Bashers?

Remember you promised to concede the point. Yogi Berra was fired by the Yankees after losing the World Series in 1964. Yogi Berra never won a world series as a manager. The Yankees also won 99 games that season. That's the most amount of wins Berra ever had during his career as a manager.

Dpo, how are you defining best year? Is the emphasis regular season success or postseason success?

Thank you. You're right, you cannot really tell to much. I was hoping to see if he had better lift than EE, but that wasn't possible to determine through that video. His footwork did some ok, but he was also much taller than everyone else.

Thank you. You're right, you cannot really tell to much. I was hoping to see if he had better lift than EE, but that wasn't possible to determine through that video. His footwork did some ok, but he was also much taller than everyone else.

41 Carson Shanks 9.6pp
41 Carson Shanks 5.6 rpg. Pitino should be able to get a top 200 kid or a better juco than Shanks. Shanks ESPN 1 STAR RATED 86th best center...he is a walk on or a desperation scholly

Cam Cameron and Yogi Berra are both good examples. I concede the point. Berra is actually a great example, because he and Smith were both fired for reasons other than on-field/court performance.

41 Carson Shanks 9.6pp
41 Carson Shanks 5.6 rpg. Pitino should be able to get a top 200 kid or a better juco than Shanks. Shanks ESPN 1 STAR RATED 86th best center...he is a walk on or a desperation scholly

Josh Martin is a 2 star on ESPN. We wont know what type of player Shanks is until he plays in a game. That's the bottom line.

Cam Cameron and Yogi Berra are both good examples. I concede the point. Berra is actually a great example, because he and Smith were both fired for reasons other than on-field/court performance.

Not trying to be a ____ with this question. Why, in your opinion, was Tubby fired?

And he blocked Tyus Jones' shot at the end of the video.

41 Carson Shanks 9.6pp

THE SCOUT!

Not trying to be a ____ with this question. Why, in your opinion, was Tubby fired?

Teague wanted to have his own guy in place and to make a splash, particularly in basketball since he has a reputation as a basketball guru in the AD community. He got his own guy, but I think it's pretty questionable whether he made a splash.

Teague wanted to have his own guy in place and to make a splash, particularly in basketball since he has a reputation as a basketball guru in the AD community. He got his own guy, but I think it's pretty questionable whether he made a splash.

I agree with you and this happens in sports all the time where an AD/general manager wants to have his own guy in place. Ultimately, Teague is responsible for the athletic department and basketball/football are the two biggest drivers (sorry hockey) of the success or lack thereof.

Time will tell whether he made a splash. Tubby was a "splash" hire but didn't have "splash" results. Shaka was not a "splash" hire but had "splash" results. Too early to tell on Pitino.

Depends on whether you consider Hollins a PG. I also don't consider him part of the conversation, as he was never a low major recruit or player. And Tubby shouldn't be the recruiting standard for the supposed recruiting genius. Tubby's weakness was and always will be his unwillingness to play the AAU game, which is why he rarely recruited big-time studs. This is supposed to be Pitino's strength, getting rosters full of 4- and 5-star players. Their analogous 2008 and 2014 classes are heavily tilted (on paper) in Tubby's favor, and Tubby's not a great or even good on-paper recruiter. How long does Pitino get to keep bringing in 3-stars before the myth of him as the master recruiter is exposed?

In particular, I don't understand why he gets a pass on bringing in local low major players (King and Shanks) who were deemed to not be good enough for the Gophers in the first place? If Shanks is only a walk-on (doubtful), I withdraw my objection. But if Tubby had been bringing in King- and Shanks-type players in 2007/08, this board would've melted to the ground. When Pitino does it, it gets a "meh" or "I trust him".
Maybe it's because were in year one of the Pitino era that he gets a pass. I think the 2015 and 2016 classes will tell the story of Pitino the recruiter, he'll have plenty of time to work those kids so will see how it plays out. Also Kings been alright off the bench and he's only a sophomore, Malik been good in the 6th man role. Also I would say it's about recruiting the right players for what you're trying do, the Tubby era, he did that in 08 and 09, but alot of guys transferred and than guys like Ralph and Rodney just never lived up to their potential. I think we need more than an offseason and noncon games to judge Pitino on anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom