Carr in transfer portal

Cal better do his homework on Carr. He's better than what they had this year but he doesn't exactly hit shooters in rhythm.

I’ve wondered how different Carr would look in a situation that isn’t “you need to score 25 or we lose” though. I wonder the same about Mason and Coffey. Put some shooters around those guys and the assist numbers are probably higher, less scoring responsibility likely means they’d be more efficient too. Marcus in a bad year was still comfortably a top 15 player in the conference, his raw talent is really good at the college level. With better coaching and players around him, he could be a difference maker.

I’ve wondered how different Carr would look in a situation that isn’t “you need to score 25 or we lose” though. I wonder the same about Mason and Coffey. Put some shooters around those guys and the assist numbers are probably higher, less scoring responsibility likely means they’d be more efficient too. Marcus in a bad year was still comfortably a top 15 player in the conference, his raw talent is really good at the college level. With better coaching and players around him, he could be a difference maker.
Cal will require that he defend .

Cal will require that he defend .

It would be an interesting fit. He did just sit through 30 minutes a night of Devin Askew so Cal may be willing to live with Carr's defensive lapses a little more than he otherwise would.

on a side note, Cal doesn't seem long for the game to me. He's been running around talking a big game lately but I'm not seeing the fire we're used to.

Cal better do his homework on Carr. He's better than what they had this year but he doesn't exactly hit shooters in rhythm.
Carr finished 5th in the B1G in assists this year.

And that's despite losing who knows how many assists due to passing the ball to the Kalschuer Brick Laying Company, Inc.

Agree. He has never been part of a good team. The conference record of the teams he has been on a truly terrible.
He has tremendous ability but we have yet to figure out what part of the losing records is based on the way he leads a team and what part of it is just being on poor squads. I wish him the best and hope he plays on a winning squad at the highest level.

He has tremendous ability but we have yet to figure out what part of the losing records is based on the way he leads a team and what part of it is just being on poor squads. I wish him the best and hope he plays on a winning squad at the highest level.
Mostly playing for bad coaches on bad teams but he takes some of it for not making teammates better.

According to NCAA current proposal, it doesn’t appear Carr is eligible for the Covid transfer. He already did. Anybody have any insight?
Not sure why he wouldn't qualify. He has transferred once, but he sat out a year before becoming eligible here.

When’s the last time Cal had a senior point guard?

Shooter just posted that Kentucky is where Carr is looking to go.
Now it is Shooter so probably should be taken with a whole ton of grains of salt.

That said, I know Kentucky missed the tournament this year so I am sure they are desperate for some sort of quick fix. But are they in bad enough shape at the PG position that a one year guy like Carr would be attractive to them?

Would be interesting to see how Carr's game would look on a team where he doesn't have to be the main offensive threat. Very talented college basketball player who could thrive in the right environment. Not sure it will help his pro prospects but if he wants to spend another year in the college game then a place like Kentucky could make a lot of sense.

Now it is Shooter so probably should be taken with a whole ton of grains of salt.

That said, I know Kentucky missed the tournament this year so I am sure they are desperate for some sort of quick fix. But are they in bad enough shape at the PG position that a one year guy like Carr would be attractive to them?

Would be interesting to see how Carr's game would look on a team where he doesn't have to be the main offensive threat. Very talented college basketball player who could thrive in the right environment. Not sure it will help his pro prospects but if he wants to spend another year in the college game then a place like Kentucky could make a lot of sense.
I'm curious how Carr fits in when he's not THE man, given that one of the biggest problems Carr has had is a me-first attitude that thwarts ball rotation and ends up in a lot of bad shots. Carr is very talented, but I'm not sure he has the team-firs attitude needed to add synergy to a high-end team. Maybe we'll find out.

Carr finished 5th in the B1G in assists this year.

And that's despite losing who knows how many assists due to passing the ball to the Kalschuer Brick Laying Company, Inc.
This. Can you imagine his assist numbers this past season if our guys could actually make open shots? Huge impact.

Kentucky just picked up a commitment from Kellen Grady, a really good combo guard from Davidson and have a high 4* PG recruit signed for next season. I don't see Carr as a fit there.

Not sure why he wouldn't qualify. He has transferred once, but he sat out a year before becoming eligible here.
The NCAA rules reads those who have not previously transferred from one 4 year institution to another are eligible for the transfer waiver. There is no particular exception those who sat out.

The NCAA rules reads those who have not previously transferred from one 4 year institution to another are eligible for the transfer waiver. There is no particular exception those who sat out.
Interesting. Robbins & Gach would fall under this rule.

The real question with Carr is whether some of the hero ball and bad shots is because he played with inferior talent and had to do it, or if that is the only way he knows how to play. Going to a program like Kentucky would help him prove he can fit into a team with talent since he won’t be good enough to dominate the ball in the pros.

They will watch the games. The tape is easily available. If they want to blame his teammates for not finishing (like so many on this board do), they can and if they see his style of play bad for teammates (like so many on this board do) they will make that decision. Lots of opinions, but the pros and their decisions will be what’s most important. He’s not in many mock drafts. That alone is pretty telling, but his journey isn’t done yet. If he comes back to the college game, where he ends up will give a glimpse into the future ... but that is not a given either. Many blue blood recruits fail to make the NBA

Lol carr would be a great addition to Kentucky or anywhere else he goes. Doesnt hit shooters in rhythm? That's what your coming with? I dont even know what to say anymore with these comments.

The real question with Carr is whether some of the hero ball and bad shots is because he played with inferior talent and had to do it, or if that is the only way he knows how to play. Going to a program like Kentucky would help him prove he can fit into a team with talent since he won’t be good enough to dominate the ball in the pros.
Carr is not an NBA player. Going to kentucky will not make him a top 5 pick or even get him drafted any higher. It may get him into NCAA tourney though. Kind of funny how everyone says minnesota basketball isnt very good, but we should of had oturu, carr , and coffey last couple years. Definate ncaa team would be my guess.

Last edited:

It's time for the Gophers to play an exciting brand of team ball. I couldn't figure out what the Gophers philosophy is under Richard. We need better defense and good shooters.

Carr has been in college for 4 years, so I'd think he could grad transfer.
If they have a program the U doesn’t.... would think that would be a very limited slate of schools.

Lets see what happens ... if he doesn't go to the NBA, Duke, Kentucky, etc. it's because he wasn't that good ... if he goes to any of those schools and he doesn't get drafted in the NBA, he wasn't hat good ... don't make this so hard!

If they have a program the U doesn’t.... would think that would be a very limited slate of schools.
Reid Travis grad transferred from Stanford to Kentucky. I remember the rule being that you have to start a graduate program at your new school that wasn't offered at your old school, but I'd imagine that that stipulation rarely gets in the way of a player grad transferring to their school of choice. If Carr wants to grad transfer to a basketball powerhouse, and a basketball powerhouse wants him, I'd think they'd find a way to make it work.

Reid Travis grad transferred from Stanford to Kentucky. I remember the rule being that you have to start a graduate program at your new school that wasn't offered at your old school, but I'd imagine that that stipulation rarely gets in the way of a player grad transferring to their school of choice. If Carr wants to grad transfer to a basketball powerhouse, and a basketball powerhouse wants him, I'd think they'd find a way to make it work.
Kind of what I was looking for. I’d imagine he would need to have the credits to graduate. Otherwise, they’d simply make a tailored grad degree program.

The real question with Carr is whether some of the hero ball and bad shots is because he played with inferior talent and had to do it, or if that is the only way he knows how to play.

I don't think so. Remember, there were multiple games this season where Carr took few shots in the first half and appeared to be more focused on getting others shots. When the team found itself in a deficit in the second half, he would start dominating the offense more. I do think he was a bit too ball dominate and that diminished ball and player movement but ball dominate guards seem to be a general trait of Pitno's offense.

This is an interesting question. I've leaned toward believing that what people call "hero ball" is the result of having substandard players around him, but I'm not sure. I'm also not convinced that Marcus is the "get mine" first kind of guy that he is critiqued to be at times. I think Kentucky will give him a shot to show he can succeed on the same floor with other very talented players. As Built suggested though, he is going to need to play better defense. His poor defense most of the time is a more objective critique than the selfish ball hogging arguments, I think.

Top Bottom