Can we still redshirt Rodney?

Tucker32

Reaction score
I'm concerned that Rodney doesn't shoot the ball well enough to compete at this level. He's also pretty thin, and not really ready to play division one defense. Finally, he really doesn't handle the ball very well. Bottom-line, being athletic and a great dunker isn't enough. I really hope we don't waste a year of eligibility when he's so very, very raw. Tubby has to give him a year to develop.

Remember all those comments. Why do people let Myron (who consistently said the above) and others who really know nothing about basketball influence them so much? I never understood the idea that he should redshirt. It's early yet, but he's already proven he's more of a player than many thought.

Rodney has been awesome, no doubt. Just a pleasant surprise so far. However, do not judge his game after 2 regular season games against Tenn. Tech and SFA. We'll see if he keeps up the high flying when the Big 10 starts.

I hope he absolutely does, but the physicality of Big 10 play is completely different than the terrible defense exhibited so far by our non-conference opponents. B10 defenders will continually chuck him on cuts, physically body him when heading towards the basket, etc.

He just may have enough athleticism to get him by, but realistically, his game is probably more suited to the ACC, Pac-10, etc. (more skinnier, athletic, high-flyers than gritty Big 10 rough chuck rough'em up). We don't see guys like him too often in the Big 10.

I hope he brings a whole new level of athleticism to our team and the Big 10, but remember what teams like Michigan State and Purdue did to us last year with their physical play.

Couldn't agree more, after going to the Hopkins/Cooper game last year, I thought Rodney looked very raw and needed to change his shot significantly in order to play effectively at the Big Ten level. However, the way he looks today he is leaps and bounds better than roughly a year ago. His shot is finally released over the top of his head, he has great rotation on the ball, and he elevates to about 14 inches off the ground on his jumpshot. If he can improve his ball handling, and his shot continues to improve, the sky is the limit for him! I left the game tonight thinking what it would have been like if we would have been able to sub Royce and Trevor into the game, if we can some how get them back on the court together, this team is going to be scary good with the depth and athleticism on roster!

Redshirt?

He seemed to move ahead of Carter tonight as the 2nd half starting line-up went nuts! His shooting has been a great surprise. I saw a prediction that MINN had the newcomer freshman of the year in White - well maybe we can change that to Rodney!

He seemed to move ahead of Carter tonight as the 2nd half starting line-up
Noticed that too...seems like Tubby hoped he'd provide more of a lift/intensity by inserting him for Carter to start the half.

The plan worked too ;)

Considering recent events, I am not sure we can afford to redshirt anyone. Losing a few players for unknown amounts of time is not easy when your roster only has 13 to begin with.

I haven't seen anything but positives from him after these first two games. So this is when I ask, are you crazy asking of this?

Redshirt? Were you at the game? There was nothing wrong with his shot tonight. It appears that he will start next game over PC. No way do I think he should redshirt and it's probably too late anyway.

I know sarcasm doesn't always come through clearly in the written word, but seriously, get a clue.

Umm... per Gopherhole I fixed my post before you posted your remarks...

There were several folks here who saw the depth of the team (pre-suspensions) and suggested a red-shirt. Hindsight is always good, eh?

Ahead of schedule..but not surprised

I had no idea what to expect this soon from Rodney...but a player as highly regarded as him BEFORE even starting typically does not redshirt. That would have been a swing and a miss by the coaching staff. A top 50 type high school player redshirting? Hindsight is not needed for that (IMO).

I agree with the point of said sarcasm...

There were several folks here who saw the depth of the team (pre-suspensions) and suggested a red-shirt. Hindsight is always good, eh?

I agree regarding hindsight. Yet, it is always interesting how so many lock into early judgement based on the comments of a reporter or poster. Rodney will have his struggles this year as most freshman do. However, there were many posters that almost spoke of him as a marginal recruit after reading Myron and others posts. He was never as limited and in need of development as some thought - not to the redshirt level. He'll still struggle at times and look great at times.

I think the redshirt was being considered more because of Williams' academic struggles prior to coming to the U. There was concern that he might not be able to handle a college courseload + basketball right away. I don't think anyone who saw him play doubted that he would be able to contribute right away. There was just a sense that it might be a good idea to take it slow with him, let him take a year to focus on school and get into a routine. That's how I understood all the redshirt speculation anyways.

Rodney has been awesome, no doubt. Just a pleasant surprise so far. However, do not judge his game after 2 regular season games against Tenn. Tech and SFA. We'll see if he keeps up the high flying when the Big 10 starts.

I hope he absolutely does, but the physicality of Big 10 play is completely different than the terrible defense exhibited so far by our non-conference opponents. B10 defenders will continually chuck him on cuts, physically body him when heading towards the basket, etc.

He just may have enough athleticism to get him by, but realistically, his game is probably more suited to the ACC, Pac-10, etc. (more skinnier, athletic, high-flyers than gritty Big 10 rough chuck rough'em up). We don't see guys like him too often in the Big 10.

I hope he brings a whole new level of athleticism to our team and the Big 10, but remember what teams like Michigan State and Purdue did to us last year with their physical play.

He has the same frame as JJ at Purdue but a bit shorter. I am not sure what it means that he should be at ACC or Pac-10??? He'll be fine at Big10 as did JJ.

Noticed that too...seems like Tubby hoped he'd provide more of a lift/intensity by inserting him for Carter to start the half.

The plan worked too ;)

I think it is more that Tubby realizes he only has two players that can play the PF position. He still likes to do substitutions in groups of fives. And when he starts both Carter and Johnson that leaves a second group of Iverson, Hoff, Devoe, Rodney and Cobbs. Rodney is a VERY undersized PF, so it makes sense to move Carter back to the second unit and replace him with a guard.

Someone point out to me the last 4 star basketball recruit that was red shirted. It just doesn't happen. Rodney would not have come here if was going to be red shirted.

Someone point out to me the last 4 star basketball recruit that was red shirted. It just doesn't happen. Rodney would not have come here if was going to be red shirted.

I know you asked for a four-star recruit, which I can't name, but I can give you a five-star recruit who was redshirted...Brian Butch.

Go Gophers!!

While Butch was a 5-star recruit..he was from Wisky. Using typical conversion tables, that equates to a 2 star recruit elsewhere.

No way. No. No. No.

Rodney has to redshirt. Plinnius said so. And he KNOWS basketball.

No way. No. No. No.

Rodney has to redshirt. Plinnius said so. And he KNOWS basketball.

Perhaps even more relevant is that Myron reported he would likely redshirt several months ago. When hasn't something Myron said not come true?

RS? Not even worth the discussion. Its very clear he will contribute.

Perhaps even more relevant is that Myron reported he would likely redshirt several months ago. When hasn't something Myron said not come true?

Um, that was before Royce and Mbakwe's off-the-court transgressions. Rodney doesn't have much utility if those guys are available to play.

Um, that was before Royce and Mbakwe's off-the-court transgressions. Rodney doesn't have much utility if those guys are available to play.

Um, you sure about that? Seems to me Rodney has been ready to play regardless of the situations with Royce and Mbakwe. He isn't all of the sudden "good" because Royce and Mbakwe aren't available.

Let's be fair. Around the time of the discussion, there was some validity to redshirting Rodney. Of course, that does not mean that the "no-redshirt" camp was wrong as Rodney could do other things to help the team. Fortunately, Rodney's shooting mechanic has improved since then, and the situation calls for more players. No argument now. But, that doesn't mean the idea of redshirt at the time was absurd.

Top Bottom