Can we please put the Sampson vs. Iverson debate to rest?

MEK711

Reaction score
Ralph is dominating with the left and right hooks, blocking shots, being an overall defensive presence, and is gettin to the line. Colton has played no defense, fouls too much and has failed to record a rebound. I've been Sampson's biggest supporter since day one and the combo of him and trevor could be downright scary.

The people that think Colton is better just don't know basketball. Now worries mek711

Sampson looks awesome, but after last year I've learned to be patient with Iverson. Let's see how they do tomorrow and when they play more physical teams in the Big Ten.

They have completely different styles. I am glad they are both on the team, but OK you are correct, Ralph was fantastic.

If Iverson keeps a positive attitude, he will be in a role that fits his skill set very well. A banger and energy guy off the bench.

Iverson was 2 of 3 in limited minutes. Ralph is looking superior early, very impressed with his play.

Obviously RSIII's skill set is much better, but Iverson definitely has a place on this team. When RSIII is struggling, it's great to have Iverson waiting to bang some people around and do the dirty work. I just hope Iverson steps up his game similarly to what Rodney has done with Hollins pushing him.

Did people not have a right to be frustrated down the stretch last year when Colton was clearly outplaying Sampson but was not getting as many minutes? They both have big up and down stretches. When it's a close game, don't you want whoever is playing better at the time to be in the game (when they aren't playing together)?

Sampson played awesome. I love watching him when he has performances like he did tonight. That being said, I still expect Iverson to play a key role in some big victories down the stretch. If you need some reminding of how valuable he can be look up some old tape from last year's Big Ten tournament. He was also a key contributor in our win against Wisconsin. Both guys are very important to the team.

Edit: Also don't forget about his performance against Butler early last year. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a rested Iverson put up a double double tomorrow.

Iverson works hard, but I just don't think he has the coordination to compete at a very high level. I love him as a backup center, though because he can play defense and have occasional hot streaks. I like how this team is shaping up. More defined roles instead of just having two groups of five. Also, I don't think that is because our second five has completely fallen off but more so because our top five have taken a larger step forward.

Ralph is dominating with the left and right hooks, blocking shots, being an overall defensive presence, and is gettin to the line. Colton has played no defense, fouls too much and has failed to record a rebound. I've been Sampson's biggest supporter since day one and the combo of him and trevor could be downright scary.

OK, you are right.

Over the course of 60 games with another 60 to go, or so Colton has been and will continue be a more valuable player than Ralph, especially in Big Ten Play. The spread between the two will grow, even though both will get better with time.

Iverson was 2 of 3 in limited minutes. Ralph is looking superior early, very impressed with his play.

The box score said he had 0 points or rebounds. Where are you getting 2 of 3? Iverson is the kind of player every team needs. A guy who will get in there and not be afraid to be physical and lots of energy. I am not going to say Sampson is the better player this early in the season against lesser opponents. Iverson stepped it up last year when we needed points in the paint. I didn't see the game but maybe he was just off last night.

Went back and looked at the box score and saw he was 2 of 3. My bad. It's early this morning.

Amen.

Go Gophers

Iverson = Low Post And Sampson = High Post

I think both can be effective in those roles. RSIII may be more advanced this year because of the NBA Big Man training he attended in Calif over the summer.

I think both can be effective in those roles. RSIII may be more advanced this year because of the NBA Big Man training he attended in Calif over the summer.

I agree with your low post/high post suggestion. Ralph has the potential to master both spots, in whcih case he would become a monster.

Different players...both Gophers...I don't know why we should care which is better. What should matter is how well they compliment each other on the floor and how well one may pick the other up when needed.

OK, Sampson has more talent & athleticism but Iverson is more physical & is "scrappier." They can both be frustrating at times & they can both be fun to watch at other times. I just hope they both keep getting better because they both still have a lot of potential yet to be developed.

Iverson will play a lot more when the Big Ten season begins. I like both of them.

What should matter is how well they compliment each other on the floor

"Hey Ralph, that's a nice sky hook you have."

"Why thank you, Colton - I really admire your South Dakota charm and humility. You're such a nice young man."

"Hey Ralph, that's a nice sky hook you have."

"Why thank you, Colton - I really admire your South Dakota charm and humility. You're such a nice young man."

:)

Haha, silly times....we must have won last night. Although a few "attaboys" on the floor are always a good thing, too.

Why do we have to make it into a debate? Ralph's looking great right now. Colt carried us down the stretch last year. Both are better at different aspects of the game. When Colt's on, he can do well with direct moves to the bucket, drawing fouls, and generally acting as a physical presence. We've seen what Ralph can do with finesse. We'll need them both at some point this year. No point trying to anoint one of them.

Why do we have to make it into a debate? Ralph's looking great right now. Colt carried us down the stretch last year. Both are better at different aspects of the game. When Colt's on, he can do well with direct moves to the bucket, drawing fouls, and generally acting as a physical presence. We've seen what Ralph can do with finesse. We'll need them both at some point this year. No point trying to anoint one of them.

Thank you! Finally someone says it.

Ralph still plays so soft, he looked great with a 6'6" guy guarding him with no help. Colton is Fire and Ralph is Ice, we need them both to be great.

Ralph another no show. Colt HUGE underneath. Rename this thread can we please agree we need them both depending upon the team?

I've been Sampson's biggest supporter since day one and the combo of him and trevor could be downright scary.

Combo of Colton and Trevor is downright scary.

Colt Colt Colt Colt Colt Colt Colt Colt!

Colt definitely was more of a factor tonight...great game. He had a little trouble boxing out, but overall he's a huge reason why we won.

These first five games have really put the debate to rest. Ralph was great the first few, while Colton struggled a bit. Tonight, Ralph got into foul trouble and never got into a rhythm, and Colton stepped up huge. It's not Ralph vs Colton or Ralph or Colton. It's Ralph AND Colton. And that's a huge luxury to have. There, end of debate.

Top Bottom