Can we give Tubby a raise and an extension

beavergopher

Reaction score
He is underpaid and has outdone himself this year. A masterful job with this team. A true dream season in his fourth year. I'm very worried that we lose him to a program with deep pockets. Please Joel, don't let this happen.

Yup, let's do what Iowa did and run off a coach that brings us back to respectability, hire a bad mid-major coach, and enjoy a decade in the wilderness.

Assuming Tubby stays, the contract extension situation will be very interesting to watch unfold. I believe he originally signed a 7 year contract so he would have 3 years left after this year. Maturi told us over and over how important it was for Brew to recruit with a full contract (4 years or more) so why would Maturi think differently with Tubby? So, if he gives him a two year extension I would hope it wouldn't come with a raise or an increased buy-out (similar to the extension that Brew got) but I'm not sure Tubby would agree to one like that. My guess is that if Tubby stays, no extension would be signed, unless they do a Brew-like extension.

Go Gophers!!

We lost 2 of our top 6 players. If this happens to ANY team, they are going to struggle. Now, do I think that we should have lost 8 of 9? Absolutely not, it really is sad what it's come down to, but I do think that some people are a little too harsh and drastic. I just hope we could have a drama free year for once.

Tubby's players:
Rodney Williams=An overwhelming disappointment
Colton Iverson=A very bad basketball player
Maverick A=Will peak at average, at best
Ralph Sampson III=Underachieved in many minds
Hollins=Not as good as advertised when it comes to shooting
Chip Armelin=N/A
Joseph=Gone
Cobbs=Gone
White=Gone
Carter=Gone
Mbakwe=Awesome

We lost 2 of our top 6 players. If this happens to ANY team, they are going to struggle. Now, do I think that we should have lost 8 of 9? Absolutely not, it really is sad what it's come down to, but I do think that some people are a little too harsh and drastic. I just hope we could have a drama free year for once.

Agreed. How soon people forget we were a top 15 team in the country. That was with Al not even being 100% healty when he did play during the big ten.

Agreed. How soon people forget we were a top 15 team in the country. That was with Al not even being 100% healty when he did play during the big ten.

Tubby's players:
Rodney Williams=An overwhelming disappointment
Colton Iverson=A very bad basketball player
Maverick A=Will peak at average, at best
Ralph Sampson III=Underachieved in many minds
Hollins=Not as good as advertised when it comes to shooting
Chip Armelin=N/A
Joseph=Gone
Cobbs=Gone
White=Gone
Carter=Gone
Mbakwe=Awesome

what they were this means absolutely nothing. all that matters is what they are. and what they are is a 9th place team.

Yes we lost two players, but what is left is pathetic. This is so Monson like. Enough excuses.

Time to raise the prices at the barn.

As Dr. Don has indicated very eloquently, you, everyone else on this message board and I are a bunch of commoners who should not express an opinion. In Tubby I Trust and to Tubby (and Dr. Don) I abdicate all notions of independent thought!!!

Everything above being said, I predict that FOT does a WWE-type heel turn on Tubby sometime within the next 3-6 months!!

Assuming Tubby stays, the contract extension situation will be very interesting to watch unfold. I believe he originally signed a 7 year contract so he would have 3 years left after this year. Maturi told us over and over how important it was for Brew to recruit with a full contract (4 years or more) so why would Maturi think differently with Tubby? So, if he gives him a two year extension I would hope it wouldn't come with a raise or an increased buy-out (similar to the extension that Brew got) but I'm not sure Tubby would agree to one like that. My guess is that if Tubby stays, no extension would be signed, unless they do a Brew-like extension.

Go Gophers!!

You are saying that the U actually INCREASED Brew's buy-out? If so, you are completely wrong. Yeah, Brew got an extension (many didn't like that move), but in that extension the buy-out was actually REDUCED. It gave him stability in that he knew if he did his job, he was staying, but reminded him that if he flooped up, he was gone.

That said, I think if Tubby is signed to an extension, he shouldn't get a dime more than what he's getting now. Until he can continue improving our BB team, he shouldn't get any more money.

You are saying that the U actually INCREASED Brew's buy-out? If so, you are completely wrong. Yeah, Brew got an extension (many didn't like that move), but in that extension the buy-out was actually REDUCED. It gave him stability in that he knew if he did his job, he was staying, but reminded him that if he flooped up, he was gone.

That said, I think if Tubby is signed to an extension, he shouldn't get a dime more than what he's getting now. Until he can continue improving our BB team, he shouldn't get any more money.

No, I am not saying that the U increased his buy-out. I'm saying if the U gives Tubby an extension, it should NOT include an increased buy-out, it should be similar to what we did with Brew.

Go Gophers!!

No, I am not saying that the U increased his buy-out. I'm saying if the U gives Tubby an extension, it should NOT include an increased buy-out, it should be similar to what we did with Brew.

Go Gophers!!

Ok, either my comprehension failed me (wouldn't be surprised), or maybe you worded it wrong. Either way, I agree.

Ok, either my comprehension failed me (wouldn't be surprised), or maybe you worded it wrong. Either way, I agree.

I think it was the latter - when I re-read it I could totally see where you thought I had it wrong.

Go Gophers!!

Any talk of firing Tubby is like talk of the Twins firing Gardy, but even more absurd. However frustrated you are, have enough sense to know that whoever replaces him is far more likely to be worse than better.

Minor omission

This isn't the complete problem.

It's not just that they lost a few key players. That would be bad enough.

They lost the two players who would be handling the ball 90% of the time. That's a lot different than just losing two impact players.

This isn't the complete problem.

It's not just that they lost a few key players. That would be bad enough.

They lost the two players who would be handling the ball 90% of the time. That's a lot different than just losing two impact players.

Bingo! They were also the only 2 on the team that could break down a defense.

I know that since they are gone it's easy to deify Cobbs, Joseph, and Nolen. But we aren't the only team that's lost important players. Last year MSU lost their point guard (who was a reigning BT POY, which Nolen probably wasn't in the running for this year) and made the Final Four. The last two years Purdue has lost Hummel, and All-America candidate, and is still challenging for BT titles. Those teams are more talented top to bottom than the Gophers, certainly, but there's a big gap between Big Ten titles and Final Fours versus #9 in the Big Ten standings. Why has it destroyed our team while other teams handle it so much better?

I certainly don't think we should get rid of Tubby and replace him with a mid-major coach, but can't say I agree that just because we pay a big name a lot of money we're automatically back to "respectability." I know losing to Northwestern and having the coach and star player yelling at each other on the sideline was more embarrassing than respectable to me.

Bingo! They were also the only 2 on the team that could break down a defense.

That's what happens when you don't run an offense, Tubby hasn't had one since he's been here so we'd better get used to it.
It was completely assinine on Tubby's behalf not to put Maverick in the starting rotation as soon as Nolen went down. How many games would he have under his belt going into last night? You can't tell me he wouldn't and we wouldn't be better if that was the case. What do you lose making Rodney or Iverson come off the bench? They are soooo productive. What he gets out of Rodney is outstanding, he's great and catching the ball on the wing and then getting rid of it before he shats himself.

It's also Tubby's fault for treating Chip Armelin like he's Westbrook. He is the one and only guy on the entire team that can create a shot. He's an actual basketball player that can dribble, shoot, isn't afraid of the ball (Rodney) or his own shadow (Ralph).

Blame Hoffarber as much as you want Tubby, this season is on you.

having the coach and star player yelling at each other on the sideline was more embarrassing than respectable to me.

This seems to be getting swept under the rug. This interaction = big problems.

I know that since they are gone it's easy to deify Cobbs, Joseph, and Nolen. But we aren't the only team that's lost important players. Last year MSU lost their point guard (who was a reigning BT POY, which Nolen probably wasn't in the running for this year) and made the Final Four. The last two years Purdue has lost Hummel, and All-America candidate, and is still challenging for BT titles. Those teams are more talented top to bottom than the Gophers, certainly, but there's a big gap between Big Ten titles and Final Fours versus #9 in the Big Ten standings. Why has it destroyed our team while other teams handle it so much better?

I certainly don't think we should get rid of Tubby and replace him with a mid-major coach, but can't say I agree that just because we pay a big name a lot of money we're automatically back to "respectability." I know losing to Northwestern and having the coach and star player yelling at each other on the sideline was more embarrassing than respectable to me.

reminds of the Booby Knight and Texas Tech situation. sure they were better but didn't really do much overall. the name of the coach was more than the actual results of the team.

Any talk of firing Tubby is like talk of the Twins firing Gardy, but even more absurd. However frustrated you are, have enough sense to know that whoever replaces him is far more likely to be worse than better.

This is correct. Folks, we badly need Tubby to turn it around here next year. If he leaves now or if he fails to turn this thing then Minnesota will be left with the stigma that even the great Tubby Smith couldn't win here. The goal with the Smith hiring was to use his personna to raise the program to a level of status where we would eventually be able to recuit successfully without having to hire a big name coach. Smith still attracts players on his name- right now the Uof M is not doing that on it's own.

This is correct. Folks, we badly need Tubby to turn it around here next year. If he leaves now or if he fails to turn this thing then Minnesota will be left with the stigma that even the great Tubby Smith couldn't win here. The goal with the Smith hiring was to use his personna to raise the program to a level of status where we would eventually be able to recuit successfully without having to hire a big name coach. Smith still attracts players on his name- right now the Uof M is not doing that on it's own.

Agree. Just because these are his recruits doesn't mean these are the kids he wanted the most. They are ok players but just not the best Tubby could have gotten. With time maybe Tubby will get the ones he wants more often than not. For now the rebuilding process continues.

this is debatable based on he has yet to recruit a "progam changing" type player.

Purdue didn't exactly light the world on fire when they lost Hummel for a little bit last year. They recovered to grab a couple NCAA wins as a 4 seed but they didn't look all that great, and part of the reason people didn't necessarily have high hopes for them this year when he went down again. Now this year, they have two senior studs who have led the way. We don't have that...well we did, but we lost one with Nolen and it has had huge impact and completely changed the dynamic of this team.

Also, the problem is, we didn't JUST lose Nolen and Joseph (and Big Mo as well). We've "lost" White, Cobbs, and Carter as well. That's 5 guys who would have been in at least their 2nd year in the program, and also 4 of which would have comprised the top 6 players on the squad IMO (taking out Cobbs, noting Hoff and Mbakwe). Not only that, we would have been on Year 2 of Mbakwe as well. The team would be loaded with more experience, more talent, and just flat out more cohesiveness.

What if Maturi had went ahead and let Mbakwe and Royce White play last year like Tubby wanted? I'd imagine we would have had more success, and with that, I think that influences a couple of transfer decisions (Devoe and Cobbs) honestly. If we're a top 4 or 5 seed, and make the Sweet 16 last year, you think guys are nearly as apt to transfer from the program as they were when we were a one and done 11 seed? I think not.

Maybe it is a good thing Maturi didn't get a "Tubby Smith" like hire to coach the FB team!

Top Bottom