Can we beat Texas

gophersfan

Reaction score
i think we can. what you think. what your keys to beating Texas.

i don't think so. if i remember right. No ref from a conference can ref a game that has a team from that conference. so Hightower will not be reffing any big tean team games.

Score more points than Texas and I think we'll win.

i don't think so. if i remember right. No ref from a conference can ref a game that has a team from that conference. so Hightower will not be reffing any big tean team games.

Refs are not specific to a conference. Hightower can be seen reffing ACC, Big 12, etc. games every week. Unfortunately for us, we also see him reffing Big 10 games.

Good luck against Texas. UW played them tough in Madison in December and had a chance to win. Forward Damion Jones is very tough, Damian Johnson will need to defend well and keep him off the boards. Abrams, obviously, is a great shooter. Texas does a great job running him off screens and getting curls into the lane. Nolen will need to chase well, and the guys defending the screeners need to slow down the guys coming off the screens.

we can take em...Texas has played really inconsistent this year and our Defense is good...we just need someone to step up and be a scorer and take over

i think we can. what you think. what your keys to beating Texas.

I watched Nebraska beat them here in Lincoln. They are inconsistant, if Abrams is not shooting well and he will force shots, they can be beat.

Early lines in vegas have us between 3 and 5 point underdogs.

if Abrams is not shooting well ... they can be beat.

I agree with Lincoln gopher -- look at their games, as Abrams goes, so goes Texas. He is a very quick little guard -- if Nolen can stay with him I like our chances.

no chance

We can't score. Westbrook will put up 12 points and think its a good performance. Where is Vincent Grier when we need him

they have a young inexperienced point guard. i would have nolen harrassing him with a combination of taller players forcing abrams to put the ball on the floor not shoot open jumpers:johnson, carter, bostick, and put westbrook/hoff on mason.

And once again, lawrence21 makes a strong bid for most clueless poster on the Gopher Hole. If Texas was the Longhorns of past seasons, they wouldn't be a 7 seed-a 7 seed falls somewhere between the 28th to 32nd best team in the nation and any team within that range is beatable. The Longhorns have two primary threats-Abrams and Damion James. Both are very solid players, but they are surrounded by inconsistent offensive performers. One would think that Tubby Smith might be able to put together a pretty solid game plan to take away those two guys on offense.

As for the Gophers offense, there's no doubt that they've had a difficult time establishing consistency on the offensive end, but maybe that has something to do with the conference we play in? Taking a look at Texas' scores, they haven't exactly been a shutdown defensive squad. The likes of Colorado (76), Texas Tech (81), and Iowa State (67) put up some pretty healthy numbers on the Longhorns during the season and I would venture to say the Gophers have better overall options than that sorry bunch.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing, I'm not even saying the Gophers will win, but to say they don't have a chance? C'mon.

Yes, we can win this game.

1) TX is not playing well right now. Lost to Baylor and almost lost to K-State in Big 12 tourney.

2) FIVE non-NCAA tourney teams have already beaten Texas this year:

--Baylor (neutral)
--Notre Dame (neutral)
--Arkansas (road)
--Nebraska (road)
--K-State (home)

3) Texas has SIX losses to NCAA teams:

--Michigan State (in Houston)
--Oklahoma (road)
--Oklahoma State (road)
--Missouri (home)
--Kansas (road)
--Texas A&M (road)

3) Minnesota has only lost TWO game to non-NCAA tourney teams this year:

--Penn State (road)
--Northwestern (road)

4) Minnesota has EIGHT losses to NCAA tourney teams:

--Michigan State (3 times, home, road, neutral)
--Michigan (twice, home and road)
--Ohio State (road)
--Purdue (home)
--Illinois (road)

they have a young inexperienced point guard. i would have nolen harrassing him with a combination of taller players forcing abrams to put the ball on the floor not shoot open jumpers:johnson, carter, bostick, and put westbrook/hoff on mason.

Agreed except for Bostick. He's not quick enough to cover Abrams.

Top Bottom