Can someone explain to me how Iowa State is rated ahead of Louisiana?

Some guy

Reaction score
Iowa State lost by 17 to Louisiana

Iowa state 2 losses, Louisiana 1

Louisiana 1 3 point loss to a 0-loss team
Iowa state 1 17 point loss to a 1-loss team
Iowa state 1 3 point loss to a 3- loss team

Louisiana 1 17 point win to a 2-loss team
Louisiana 1 3 point win to a 3-loss team
Louisiana 4 wins over teams with winning records

Iowa State 1 7 point win over a 2-loss team
Iowa state 1 3 point win over a 3-loss team
Iowa state 4 wins over teams with winning records

Louisiana 31 Iowa state 14

Iowa state = top 10
Louisiana = 25th

I don’t get it.
this is why all conferences deserve 1 auto bid. It is purely eye test. I guess the eyes skipped the game where Iowa state was dominated by Louisiana. (I know yardage was close and actually in favor of Iowa state...but I actually watched that entire game and it was just about as close as the score indicated)

Iowa state = top 10
Louisiana = 25th

I don’t get it.
this is why all conferences deserve 1 auto bid. It is purely eye test. I guess the eyes skipped the game where Iowa state was dominated by Louisiana. (I know yardage was close and actually in favor of Iowa state...but I actually watched that entire game and it was just about as close as the score indicated)
I definitely see your point and won't try to justify the ranking. That said, I also watched the game and agree that while ISU was outplayed, they weren't dominated as you've said multiple times. They turned it over twice and gave up two special teams TD's. Purdy also played by far the worst game of his career. It was classic early season rust, a la what you saw from MN during the non-con last year. Of course it was also Louisiana's first game, so kudos to them for being prepared.

Either way, I also agree that the playoff needs to be expanded so G5 teams have a better chance of making it. I wouldn't advocate for EVERY conference to get an auto bid (MAC, MWC, Sunbelt, AAC et al aren't worthy every year), but in general I'd like more G5 teams to have a chance.

Iowa state couldn’t do anything the whole game.
Louisiana outplayed them in 2/3 phases and matched them in a third. I would say that’s dominating.

The game was 2 scores for a reason

It is an interesting discussion but looking at the rankings for this year I would say that once you get beyond the top 4-5 teams it is one massive cluster of teams. Just a weird year all the way around.

One of those things where if you were just ranking Iowa State and Louisiana based on current records and the head to head matchup it would make sense to put Louisiana ahead of them. But on a week to week basis based on who teams play and when they play them you can see why Iowa State is where they are in the rankings.

Like most things with the 2020 season I would put very little stock in the rankings, even more so than a typical season.

Probably strength of schedule. The way the voters have viewed opening week games factors in there too. That said you raise a good question.

They'll both get another shot to help their case on 12/19. ISU gets another shot at #6 Oklahoma. While LA gets a rematch with #18 Coastal Carolina.

Last edited:

It is an interesting discussion but looking at the rankings for this year I would say that once you get beyond the top 4-5 teams it is one massive cluster of teams. Just a weird year all the way around.

One of those things where if you were just ranking Iowa State and Louisiana based on current records and the head to head matchup it would make sense to put Louisiana ahead of them. But on a week to week basis based on who teams play and when they play them you can see why Iowa State is where they are in the rankings.

Like most things with the 2020 season I would put very little stock in the rankings, even more so than a typical season.
I literally just broke down why everything you said in paragraph 2 is not true

Louisiana is better head to head
Louisiana is equal in quality wins
Louisiana has fewer losses.

I get how you could have Louisiana 20 and I get how you could have Iowa state 10

But the guy who has Louisiana 20 should have Iowa state 21
And the person with Iowa state 10 should have Louisiana 9

Because there is literally zero metric where Iowa state is better.

except the “name” metric
Or the “eye-test” metric

Probably strength of schedule. The way the voters have viewed opening week games factors in there too. That said you raise a good question.

SOS is fake news. The SOS is essentially the same.

You want to ignore all the metrics like losses, quality wins, and head to head because Kansas state is 4-5 while Arkansas state is 4-7?
Meanwhile Arkansas state beat Kansas state

maybe it is because LA Monroe is 0-10 while Kansas is merely 0-9

P5 vs G5 will always be the distinction. They are the 5th rated G5 team going into tonight's rankings so their ranking really means nothing compared to P5 teams.

I agree with MNVCGUY that once beyond the top 4-5 teams it's pretty much a guess.

No one is going to be scheduling Sun Belt in the future is what this likely means.

They'll both get another shot to help their case on 12/19. ISU gets another shot at #6 Oklahoma. While LA gets a rematch with #18 Coastal Carolina.

Definitely a part of it for sure. ISU is around 20 SOS and ULL is around 70, depending on where you look.

SOS is fake news. The SOS is essentially the same.

You want to ignore all the metrics like losses, quality wins, and head to head because Kansas state is 4-5 while Arkansas state is 4-7?
Meanwhile Arkansas state beat Kansas state

maybe it is because LA Monroe is 0-10 while Kansas is merely 0-9

No I don't. You're reading skills fail you. That's what I thought "probably" happened.

Oh and your attempt to generate some outrage is failing too. :p

ISU has beaten TCU,#18 OK, Texas Tech, Kansas, Baylor, KSU, #17 Texas and WVU. They get another shot at now #6 Oklahoma. They lost to LA in their 1st game and #6 OSU.

LA beat ISU, GA State, GA Southern, UAB, Tex State, Arkansas State, South Ala, LMU and App State. They lost to Coastal Carolina who they play again on 12/19.

Doubt you think those schedules are similar. Nobody does. That's why you used records without the schools themselves attached.

Keep playing. ;)

I literally just broke down why everything you said in paragraph 2 is not true

Louisiana is better head to head
Louisiana is equal in quality wins
Louisiana has fewer losses.

I get how you could have Louisiana 20 and I get how you could have Iowa state 10

But the guy who has Louisiana 20 should have Iowa state 21
And the person with Iowa state 10 should have Louisiana 9

Because there is literally zero metric where Iowa state is better.

except the “name” metric
Or the “eye-test” metric
Not true. The they don't have wins over ranked Texas and Oklahoma.

OP was way longer than it needed to be, when the answer is so obvious and doesn't depend on scores.

Eye test. That simple.

I do believe Iowa State would beat Louisiana right now, and it wouldn't be close. Week 1 in covid year, basically doesn't even count. Teams were still scrapping together the pieces of such a weird year.

Iowa state = top 10
Louisiana = 25th

I don’t get it.

They have a higher ranking:cool::cool:

No I don't. You're reading skills fail you. That's what I thought "probably" happened.

Oh and your attempt to generate some outrage is failing too. :p

ISU has beaten TCU,#18 OK, Texas Tech, Kansas, Baylor, KSU, #17 Texas and WVU. They get another shot at now #6 Oklahoma. They lost to LA in their 1st game and #6 OSU.

LA beat ISU, GA State, GA Southern, UAB, Tex State, Arkansas State, South Ala, LMU and App State. They lost to Coastal Carolina who they play again on 12/19.

Doubt you think those schedules are similar. Nobody does. That's why you used records without the schools themselves attached.

Keep playing. ;)
You want to rank Iowa state higher because they get a second shot at Oklahoma they haven’t had yet?

Arkansas state beat Kansas state

OP was way longer than it needed to be, when the answer is so obvious and doesn't depend on scores.

Eye test. That simple.

I do believe Iowa State would beat Louisiana right now, and it wouldn't be close. Week 1 in covid year, basically doesn't even count. Teams were still scrapping together the pieces of such a weird year.
LOL
Did you watch that game?
Week 1 doesn’t count? Good to know. I am sure you don’t rip on the OC of the gophers for their first game then.

More irrelevant Week 1 covid year scores.

LOL
Did you watch that game?
Week 1 doesn’t count? Good to know. I am sure you don’t rip on the OC of the gophers for their first game then.
I don't count Week 1 in a Covid year, when determining rankings of teams at the end of the year. It's more than a little silly.

My preference, I get to decide it however I want. And that will be that.

If the Big XII didn't schedule these silly little non-conf games in the first place, then Iowa St might still be in contention for the CFP. Not anymore.

I don't count Week 1 in a Covid year, when determining rankings of teams at the end of the year. It's more than a little silly.

My preference, I get to decide it however I want. And that will be that.
Well. I took you off ignore a few weeks back and you’re back in. Buhbye

You want to rank Iowa state higher because they get a second shot at Oklahoma they haven’t had yet?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That wasn't even a good attempt.

They really just need to expand to 8 playoff teams. Each P5 would get an auto bid, and then 3 at large could easily accommodate 1-2 G5 undefeated teams and/or 1-2 additional P5 team like a 1 loss SEC team who only lost to, say, the #1 ranked SEC champion.

Campbell is gone after this year, right?

This is the one I used for my post #: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Sagarin SOS has ISU@36, ULL@91: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Number are different but they are still basically 50 spots apart.

These are through this last weekend.
First one doesn’t even give methodology
Ken Pom ranks based on efficiency.
Flawed

A 1-8 team with 8 1 point losses and one 60 point win would be rated higher than — 4-4 team with 4 close wins and 4 close losses

Both Iowa teams are vastly overrated. Iowa is 16th(!) in the CFP and ISU is 7th. A two loss ISU team is ahead of undefeated Cincy. I think it's a situation where both conferences are way down and the voters are used to recognizing B1G and Big 12 teams so they have to put somebody in there. Since ISU beat OU they are the best representation of the Big 12 right now. After tOSU, Indiana, and Northwestern, nobody in the B1G has really done anything so Iowa gets that next spot almost by default.

Both Iowa teams are vastly overrated. Iowa is 16th(!) in the CFP and ISU is 7th. A two loss ISU team is ahead of undefeated Cincy. I think it's a situation where both conferences are way down and the voters are used to recognizing B1G and Big 12 teams so they have to put somebody in there. Since ISU beat OU they are the best representation of the Big 12 right now. After tOSU, Indiana, and Northwestern, nobody in the B1G has really done anything so Iowa gets that next spot almost by default.
Agree with all of this.
In a normal year, Big 12 team > sun belt team.

There’s data to back it up based on inter divisional games.

This year...there is literally no data to back up the big 12 being better than sun belt.

non conference big 12 5-3 63%

Sun belt 16-13 55%

i guess that extra 8% winning percentage proves Iowa state is better inspire of the 17 point head to head loss

First one doesn’t even give methodology
Ken Pom ranks based on efficiency.
Flawed

A 1-8 team with 8 1 point losses and one 60 point win would be rated higher than — 4-4 team with 4 close wins and 4 close losses
Wow, brilliant analysis, thanks. Ken Pomeroy does FB SOS?

Wow, brilliant analysis, thanks. Ken Pomeroy does FB SOS?
Well, I’m drinking but sagarin does it the exact same way. Unless you can point me towards other methodology I’m going to assume I’m right.

The predictive ratings in college basketball suffer a lack of data and margin of error issue. You want me to use a rating system that says 2-2 Wisconsin is better than 6-1 northwestern by 15 spots? Because there are 4 games factored for Wisconsin? One of which was a 50 point win? 0-2 Arizona state is 12 spots better than 4-0 Colorado? 2-5 penn state is 29 spots better than 2-4 Nebraska who they lost to? This is what you’re using for SOS? Sagarin himself would say there isn’t enough data for his rankings to be valid at all this year

here is the record of Iowa states opponents:
48-44
Here is the record of Louisiana’s
51-50

Here is the record of the next opponent for Iowa state
7-2

here is for Louisiana
10-0

here is the number of losses for Louisiana
Here is the number of losses for Iowa state

Here is the number of wins against 0 order 1 loss teams for Iowa state
For Louisiana