Can Pitino get us to Wisconsin's level?

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
When I ask this...

What I mean is...

Can Pitino get us to the point where we are a factor in the NCAAs?

Seems like Wisconsin is ranked all the time, has a high seed and for the most part does well in the NCAAs. Bo seems to keep the borders closed and just WIN.

Can Pitino get us there?

We certainly have to believe that Rich Pitino can establish the kind of winning traction that the Badgers have established. As much as we may hate to acknowledge it, Bo milks every last ounce of skill and team play out of his squads. The improvement this year in Kaminski's play is the story of their year.

As to our Gophers, RP and staff can also point to the tremendous improvement in MoW. The next two years of talent infusion will plainly reveals our program's direction.

When I ask this... What I mean is... Can Pitino get us to the point where we are a factor in the NCAAs? Seems like Wisconsin is ranked all the time, has a high seed and for the most part does well in the NCAAs. Bo seems to keep the borders closed and just WIN. Can Pitino get us there?
He could take us to that level or he could fail. If we don't get some facility upgrades asap I don't see much changing long term. Start donating even if its a small amount.

If Pitino can recruit he can get us there. The only question is can he get the right players to commit and then keep them in school.

Even with Tubby Smith getting the program back to respectability he still never had a conference record better than .500.

Pitino's first year at Minnesota the team probably has overachieved a bit. The program at this point is so far behind Wisconsin's it is going to take a number of years to get to their level. If Tubby couldn't do any better in six seasons than 6th place in the conference and one NCAA Tourney win and based on history the job ahead of Pitino of getting Minnesota to Wisconsin's level or even moving from an annual bubble team is going to be extremely difficult.

If he can recruit, and if he can get the refs on his side, then yes.

Absolutely! Were we able to beat Wisconsin this year? It's not like we get blown out every game by everybody. He equaled Tubby's norm with little talent. Pitino will improve the talent. He will develop the talent and coach better on game than many other guys he is up against.

We just need to be more consistent. That's hard. Coaching is one part. Better players is the other.

Ya, facilities might help recruit better talent and develop talent but it still comes down to being able to coach and having an ability to evaluate talent. Pitino has that. That's more important than facilities.

It doesn't need to take a long time. Who we add to the 2014 class will be the biggest factor how quickly we improve.

You are referring to programs, which are more than a coach. A program is culture, facilities, fan support, etc.

Richard's job is to get players and establish culture. I think he has done well in his short time here to improve both. Facilities...read about that in another thread. Fan support, we have a long way to go. I guarantee if roles were reversed Bucky would sell out their NIT games.

We have a lot more impact on the programs future success than we realize. But I think Richard is the right leader to enable improvement in the other areas (facilities and fan support).

Let's not have threads like this. Wiscy has a nice program. Congrats on their 'win' tonight.

But I'd much rather model ourselves after someone else. Can he take us where Beilein's taken Michigan? I'd much rather be there, than with a plodding offense that relies on an angry coach intimidating refs and has beaten a higher seed in the NCAA's exactly twice in 13 years.

It's taken a long time for the Badger Basketball program to get where they are now. 15 years to be exact. If Pitino were to start to experience a fraction of the success that Bo Ryan has created at Wisconsin, he will bolt for a higher profile program faster than you can say, 'Pitino'.

Rrally u going to the "you wouldn't sell out an NIT game" when said team is going to the final four

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

It's really a mute point anyway.

Moot. Played 4x36 at Geneva National last fall. Nice courses.

It's taken a long time for the Badger Basketball program to get where they are now. 15 years to be exact. If Pitino were to start to experience a fraction of the success that Bo Ryan has created at Wisconsin, he will bolt for a higher profile program faster than you can say, 'Pitino'.

I'd take that bet.

Rrally u going to the "you wouldn't sell out an NIT game" when said team is going to the final four

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Yes. What do they have to do with each other? Anything?

Great win today and you all have a very nice team. Very good team basketball and a better tempo than past Badger teams. I hope Michigan wins Sunday and pounds your team back to the stone age next weekend.

How many of you "expert analysts" declared Gopher basketball headed directly to the top the day Tubby was hired? Come on now, 'fess up.

When I ask this...

What I mean is...

Can Pitino get us to the point where we are a factor in the NCAAs?

Seems like Wisconsin is ranked all the time, has a high seed and for the most part does well in the NCAAs. Bo seems to keep the borders closed and just WIN.

Can Pitino get us there?

As someone else noted, I would rather be like MSU. They are legit. Wisconsin is not. But nice "veiled" attempt at trying to stir the pot and flame a little bit with the becky love fest. Come on....you know that was your real intent here with the post. Deep down, you know it was. :) Cheers.

We lost to Michigan by a few points, took MSU into OT on the road and beat WI. Pitino can coach, after he gets more players I would not be surprised to see him make a lot of noise real soon.

As someone else noted, I would rather be like MSU. They are legit. Wisconsin is not. But nice "veiled" attempt at trying to stir the pot and flame a little bit with the becky love fest. Come on....you know that was your real intent here with the post. Deep down, you know it was. :) Cheers.

What exactly makes a team "legit" or not in your opinion?

I think the Pitino is inherently a different style of coach than Bo Ryan, so I don't think our program will ever model Wisconsin's. This year being the exception, typically Wisconsin teams are not super athletic, but fundamental and play great defense, meaning they don't lose the games they shouldn't. This has led to them being a consistently solid, but before this year they hadn't gone further than the Sweet 16 since 04-05. They are usually a good team with a limited ceiling IMO.

Don't get my wrong, they've had way more success than we have, but I feel like Michigan, Ohio St, Florida, etc. are more accurate comparisons to where Pitino can bring us. These teams usually have more higher-end athletes and although they aren't always dominant, when things come together they can make really deep runs in the tourney. In terms of Pitino, certainly his success will be determined by how well he can corral the in-state talent.

" If you get the " Jimmy and Joes " you don't need to worry about the X's and O's". All Minnesota needs is one banner
re recruiting class. It is not like football where a new coach/system comes in and you need 4 or 5 recruiting classes.
We were one power forward away from the NCAA. While Becky fans are giddy about their final 4 run. Look how they
got there. Played the first two rounds on virtually a home court. Belmont was the worst team in the field. The Ducks
the term " defense " is foreign. Baylor? A 6 seed that really should have been a 8 or 9. Like I posted before, the game
Baylor played against Wisconsin they would've lost too 11 of 12 B1G teams. Arizona? Great defensive team, but a
poor jump shooting team, and it took two controversial calls for Becky to win. The 4 leaf clover up the ass run ends
next week. Pitino will star beating Wisconsin on a regular basis once he gets his type of athletes and you know something? Bo knows it.

" If you get the " Jimmy and Joes " you don't need to worry about the X's and O's". All Minnesota needs is one banner
re recruiting class. It is not like football where a new coach/system comes in and you need 4 or 5 recruiting classes.
We were one power forward away from the NCAA. While Becky fans are giddy about their final 4 run. Look how they
got there. Played the first two rounds on virtually a home court. Belmont was the worst team in the field. The Ducks
the term " defense " is foreign. Baylor? A 6 seed that really should have been a 8 or 9. Like I posted before, the game
Baylor played against Wisconsin they would've lost too 11 of 12 B1G teams. Arizona? Great defensive team, but a
poor jump shooting team, and it took two controversial calls for Becky to win. The 4 leaf clover up the ass run ends
next week. Pitino will star beating Wisconsin on a regular basis once he gets his type of athletes and you know something? Bo knows it.
Lol

Now THIS is funny!

You take Kaminsky and Dekker away and they are a NIT team. This is the first time in years that Wisconsin can win without using a boat anchor to slow down the game. You have to give Bo credit in that he knows how to win with much less talent, but typically it is painful to watch.

The U will be back at the top of the B1G once he gets players that can run his full system. Pitino is not yet running his style of defense and pressure. The big difference that will move the U past Wisc is that we will run a fast paced style that will attract top level athletic players. Wisc will always be known for a slow methodical style that will not attract the top athletic players.

I think where Michigan's at right now is a better point of comparison for where we want to be, considering the style Pitino wants to play. Gather some hosses and let 'em run.

MSU is the best program in the B10, but saying WI is not legit is ridiculous. They've been to what? 13 straight NCAAs? I'd take that any day.

MSU is the best program in the B10, but saying WI is not legit is ridiculous. They've been to what? 13 straight NCAAs? I'd take that any day.

Yep, they have made more NCAA tourney appearances under Bo Ryan (13) than we ever have (12) and that is including the years that "never happened".

Top Bottom