Can Mizzou land a sitting Power 5 AD? (These are potential candidates who fit the profile of sitting Power 5 ADs with SEC experience: Mark Coyle, MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Matter:

These are potential candidates who fit the profile of sitting Power 5 ADs with SEC experience. In no particular order, stream of consciousness style …

• Here’s a Big Ten AD with SEC history: Minnesota’s Mark Coyle. He was Boise State’s AD during Drinkwitz’s time there as an offensive assistant. Coyle, 52, has SEC chops, too, serving as deputy AD at Kentucky under Mitch Barnhart, the SEC’s longest-tenured AD. Coyle helped hire John Calipari at UK and worked closely with his hoops program. At Boise, he hired Harsin. At Minnesota, he hired P.J. Fleck. That’s 2 for 2 on the football front.

Go Gophers!!

We lose Coyle we will be forced to make another PC hire. See why WI has put off a hiring a president. They don’t want to get stuck with ummmm ahhhh well, ya know being forced to hire someone with less qualifications. That’s where we will be if Coyle walks.

Mark Coyle returned to the U his former employer. He and his wife are from the Midwest. They love the Twin Cities and wanted to be near family.

I don't think he would leave for Mizzou.

Mark Coyle returned to the U his former employer. He and his wife are from the Midwest. They love the Twin Cities and wanted to be near family.

I don't think he would leave for Mizzou.
Coyle is from Iowa, no? About the same distance from Columbia and Minneapolis.

His recent basketball hire may have doomed his resume for the time being though.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes…if he’s being told who to hire, what sports to cut etc…and he’s not really the guy making decisions then he may what to go somewhere where he has a better work environment. Lots of stuff going on in the Twin Cities too. Plus, an exit or reprieve or do over on raising money might seem attractive to him.
And Minnesota may be his dream…dunno.

Coyle is from Iowa, no? About the same distance from Columbia and Minneapolis.

His recent basketball hire may have doomed his resume for the time being though.
It may have, IF he actually did the hiring.

All is well when the Gophers football team wins the Big Ten West title this season. PJ Fleck was Mark Coyle's home run hire. His fortunes are tied to Fleck.

All is well when the Gophers football team wins the Big Ten West title this season. PJ Fleck was Mark Coyle's home run hire. His fortunes are tied to Fleck.
Agree for his situation here, but Missouri cares a lot about basketball and so far the Johnson hire looks bad to most.

It may have, IF he actually did the hiring.
I get your point, but I don't think the "powers that be" at the U would have any issue blaming Coyle if Ben doesn't succeed even if they forced his hand to make that hiring.

per Shooter:

Word is the Parker Executive Search firm, for a $125,000 fee, has identified Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle as one of three candidates for the Missouri AD. job.

Go Gophers!!

I get your point, but I don't think the "powers that be" at the U would have any issue blaming Coyle if Ben doesn't succeed even if they forced his hand to make that hiring.
Well duh. That's one of the main perks of being a "power that be"!

per Shooter:

Word is the Parker Executive Search firm, for a $125,000 fee, has identified Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle as one of three candidates for the Missouri AD. job.

Go Gophers!!
LOL

Thank you very much for that $125k. Here are three names that would do a great job at Mizzou, if you were able to convince them to come to Columbia. Good luck with that! Byeeeee

We lose Coyle we will be forced to make another PC hire. See why WI has put off a hiring a president. They don’t want to get stuck with ummmm ahhhh well, ya know being forced to hire someone with less qualifications. That’s where we will be if Coyle walks.

Nah, the brutal hoops hire has us off the "woke" radar for about 10 years.

As posted by manderson in the bball version of this thread:

Missouri names UNLV's Desiree Reed-Francois as new director of athletics

Reed-Francois will take over at Missouri for Jim Sterk, who the University announced it was "mutually" parting ways with on July 26.

I don’t believe any of the three are candidates without expressing some interest.
So, Which is more likely?
Coyle lost the opportunity to Desiree or
Coyle turned the job down?
I doubt it is as simple as Coyle was Never interested.

I don’t believe any of the three are candidates without expressing some some interest.
So, Which is more likely?
Coyle lost the opportunity to Desiree or
Coyle turned the job down?
I doubt it is as simple as Coyle was Never interested.
I would think almost anyone would at least be willing to listen. It would be silly to expect Coyle to not even take the call.

The basketball hire might work out well. Last I knew they hadn't played a game yet. Why the criticism?
Being you're a veteran GHer, I have to think you tripped ad hit your head hard (JK)...this is Gopherhole! Hot takes!

I would think almost anyone would at least be willing to listen. It would be silly to expect Coyle to not even take the call.
Especially considering half of the gopher fans still think Jerry Kill should be the coach

Being you're a veteran GHer, I have to think you tripped ad hit your head hard (JK)...this is Gopherhole! Hot takes!
Perhaps I did! However we really haven't given Johnson a chance to prove he'll be a good coach or not. Why not give him a chance? He is our coach after all.

Perhaps I did! However we really haven't given Johnson a chance to prove he'll be a good coach or not. Why not give him a chance? He is our coach after all.
Oh, I agree.

Top Bottom