Can it be a perfect B1G opening weekend for the Gophers?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
How many of these things are gonna' happen this weekend?

1. Gophers beat Iowa.

2. Indiana beats Northwestern (Legends' Northwestern falls to 0-1).

3. Ohio State beats Michigan State (Legends' Sparty falls to 0-1).

4. Bucky beats Nebraska (Legends' 'Huskers fall to 0-1).

If all four occur, the Gophers will sit alone atop the Legends Division after just one week (Michigan is idle).

Any Gopher fan rooting for Nebraska over Wisconsin this weekend, quite frankly, is a moron. ... a loss by a divisional opponent (Nebraska) should trump the dislike for the Badgers (or any other rival) every time, or, at least until the Gophers aren't in the divisional race.

The good news is that out of those four scenarios, I think #1 is most likely. Followed by #3, #4, and then #2. All I hope is we take Floyd back up 35 Saturday afternoon. The rest of it our boys can't control.

1. Gophers beat Iowa.

If all four occur, the Gophers will sit alone atop the Legends Division after just one week (Michigan is idle).

Any Gopher fan rooting for Nebraska over Wisconsin this weekend, quite frankly, is a moron. ... a loss by a divisional opponent (Nebraska) should trump the dislike for the Badgers (or any other rival) every time, or, at least until the Gophers aren't in the divisional race.

Proud moron here. If we were ever to be in the hunt for the division title, we take care of business by beating the teams within the division ourselves and enjoy every badger loss, no matter who is doing the beating.

Moron here. I don't care what the circumstances are, I want the Vadgers to lose every single game now and forever. I would want them to lose if they were playing the 1939 German national team. I would want them to lose if they were playing the Hades All-Stars. I could go on, but you get the picture. I don't particularly care for Nebraska either, but I'll be saying Go! Big! Red! a lot this weekend.

Color me a moron as well. Ain't rooting for Becky. No way, no how. Especially not this early in the season. If it's the last game and the Gophers need help, that's another kettle of fish.

1. Gophers beat Iowa (Because I'm in love with a Goldy)

2. Northwestern beats Indiana (This sets up a perfect homecoming game with 2 undeated teams).

3. Ohio State beats Michigan State (tOSU needs to stay unbeaten to rep the BIG).

4. Nebraska beats BADgers (I cant stand Bucky. hate hate hate. :D ).

#1 and #3 could definitely happen. #4 seems unlikely to happen and I would be shocked if #2 happens.

Despite the 4-0 record I don't see our squad as a legit title contenter and BCS squad so as much fun as it would be to be all alone in the standings I don't think it really matters all that much for this season at least. Stranger things have happened but I don't think this squad is quite ready for primetime yet.

I am a moron as well.

I don't NU/Indiana as such a lock. I don't beleive NU to be great and it is possible that IU is ok.

If there's one thing Kevin Wilson knows, it's offense, and NU's defense has been pretty poor. Stranger things have definitely happened. I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it, though.

Well it's not like me rooting is gonna change anything, so I'm gonna go ahead and be quite happy with a Wisky loss this weekend and we'll figure out the ramifications later lol.

BB starts his payback tour Saturday in Lincoln. Teams don't forget about the past classless transgressions of running up scores. I think if the Huskers can they will hang 70 on BB. The DE came out and said T.magic throws like He is "skipping rocks" and BB punished him for the posterboard comment by sitting him for the first play! BB's high moral standards are beyond reproach.

SelectionSunday said:

1. Gophers beat Iowa.

If we are to compete for a divisional title, we control our own destiny, since no games have been played. I would only root for Wisconsin if, say on the last week of the season, them beating one of our division mates is the only way for us to win the title.

If I stirred up a little more distaste for the Badgers, that's not such a bad thing.

I expect #1 and maybe #3 to happen, and I suspect the 'Huskers will take Butthead to the woodshed, so all in all that wouldn't be a bad weekend for Gopher fans.

BB starts his payback tour Saturday in Lincoln. Teams don't forget about the past classless transgressions of running up scores. I think if the Huskers can they will hang 70 on BB. The DE came out and said T.magic throws like He is "skipping rocks" and BB punished him for the posterboard comment by sitting him for the first play! BB's high moral standards are beyond reproach.

I would love this but I just don't see it happening. If it did it would remind me of when I was playing football at 11 years old. The age group ahead of us had an unbelievable team and beat everyone 60+ to 0. Then all the talent moved on and every team paid the coach back by just pisspounding them.

If we are to compete for a divisional title, we control our own destiny, since no games have been played. I would only root for Wisconsin if, say on the last week of the season, them beating one of our division mates is the only way for us to win the title.

The last Wisco vs Legends division team matchup is vs MSU on 10/27. So we won't have to worry about painfully rooting for them.

The standings mean little to me. If we find ourselves in a race in 5 weeks then I'll pay attention.

I'm torn about Wisconsin. It is always fun to see Wisconsin and it's fans squirm about how poor their team is and losing helps reinforce the behavior. On the other hand it would be mighty fun too if Purdue goes to the B1G championship game this year because Wisconsin lost to us! Even better I suppose if Wisc goes 5-7 and doesn't make a bowl and we're one of the reasons. Hhhmmmmm so many delicious possibilities.

Moron here. I don't care what the circumstances are, I want the Vadgers to lose every single game now and forever. I would want them to lose if they were playing the 1939 German national team. I would want them to lose if they were playing the Hades All-Stars. I could go on, but you get the picture. I don't particularly care for Nebraska either, but I'll be saying Go! Big! Red! a lot this weekend.

Here here!

GopherInPittsburgh said:
The last Wisco vs Legends division team matchup is vs MSU on 10/27. So we won't have to worry about painfully rooting for them.

Right, I was just giving a hypothetical, because if we aren't in the hunt anyway, of course I want Wisconsin to lose. And if we can do it without needing their help, even better.

I just want the gophers to win!

Hey Sunday guy, nice post! Fun read. I'd be cool with all those happening but it does feel wrong to root for Wisconsin. The Gophers need to make number one happen and we'll be fine whatever else takes place.

Proud moron here. If we were ever to be in the hunt for the division title, we take care of business by beating the teams within the division ourselves and enjoy every badger loss, no matter who is doing the beating.

Me too. Go Huskers.

Hey Sunday guy, nice post! Fun read. I'd be cool with all those happening but it does feel wrong to root for Wisconsin.

"Root for" was a poor choice of words on my part. Would have been better if I said, "Wouldn't be completely disgusted by a Bucky win over Nebraska" because it'd hang an "L" on a Legends opponent.

"Root for" was a poor choice of words on my part. Would have been better if I said, "Wouldn't be completely disgusted by a Bucky win over Nebraska" because it'd hang an "L" on a Legends opponent.

No, "Moron" was a bad choice of words. You have to understand that no matter what the implications most of us won't be able to pull for Wisconsin (myself included) under any circumstances. That being said it isn't like it is much better pulling for Nebraska but in this case they are the lesser of two evils.

Fair enough. To each his own.

If a team that I despise (Wisconsin) can help a team I support/follow (MSU and/or Gophers) win a divisional crown, I'll pull for 'em every single time. That's why I'll pull for a Leaders Division team vs. a Legends Division team every single time Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska and Northwestern are the opponent. Simple math.

Just not a believer in cutting off my nose to spite my face. There will be plenty of other opportunities where I can hope to see Butthead Bielema fall on his chubby face. This week's just not one of 'em.

Never, ever, ever root for wisconsin to win.

Think of who we recruit against. It sure isn't Nebraska as much as it is wisky.
If wisky wins, their season is back on track and their previous troubles are forgotten. If their season gets back on track, they will have the required confidence to whip us in Madison.
If Nebraska loses, their season isn't nearly as derailed. They will still likely beat us in Lincoln.
Nebraska in the BigTen championship game causes me almost zero pain. wisky in the championship game hurts my heart, even if it was handed to them on a platter this season (with OSU and PSU out).
Think of how joyous it will be to see wisky lose their division with OSU and PSU out of the running.

Moron! He77, I'm a retard!

My perfect weekend is we keep the Pig and Becky gets manhandled. The rest is just fluff.

Agreed. I will root for the badgers if it's late enough in the season where a wisconsin win could foreseeably lead to a Gopher division title, but we are so far away from that now with 8 weeks still to go it doesn't make any sense in my mind..

Top Bottom