Can Curry come back next year????????

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
I know I heard multiple times earlier this season that (believe it or not) Curry could actually come back and play next season. I haven't heard it recently and most projections for next year do not list him as a possibility. I also constantly see references to needing a center next year through the portal. Can somebody who knows more than I clarify if that's a possibility? FWIW---I think he's been an above-average B10 center this year and would welcome him back with open arms next year. Thanks.

Curry doesn't have any more eligibility left. Why is this so hard for people to understand?!

He actually does have one year of eligibility left. He could be a 7th year player.
Played freshman year
Medical redshirt true sophomore year
Played true junior year(15 games I believe)
Normal redshirt true senior year(hurt)
Playing this year so 3 Played 1 left if he chooses...do I have that wrong?

My understanding is that:

Curry's "normal" 5-year clock expired last year since he first enrolled in the fall of 2016.

His eligibility was automatically extended to a sixth year because everyone got the COVID freebie for 2020-21. This allowed him to play this season.

Because he lost two full years due to injury (and part of another year), he could apply to the NCAA for a waiver to allow him to play another year, but I don't think that's been done yet and I don't think we have any information that would allow us to gauge how likely it would be that he'd be given a seventh year.

Why is it wrong? He's played 4 seasons, but one of them was 2020 -21 which did not count towards the limit. The exception would be for completing the eligibility over a 7th year, which has been granted in several situations.

Last edited:

Why is it wrong? He's played 4 seasons, but one of them was 2021-21 which did not count towards the limit. The exception would be for completing the eligibility over a 7th year, which has been granted in several situations.
I believe he can apply for another year. I doubt he will. Though I didn't think he'd play this year either.

I know I heard multiple times earlier this season that (believe it or not) Curry could actually come back and play next season. I haven't heard it recently and most projections for next year do not list him as a possibility. I also constantly see references to needing a center next year through the portal. Can somebody who knows more than I clarify if that's a possibility? FWIW---I think he's been an above-average B10 center this year and would welcome him back with open arms next year. Thanks.
He could apply for a waiver and I think he would get it considering he lost 2.5 years to injury, but I don't think he wants it

I believe he can apply for another year. I doubt he will. Though I didn't think he'd play this year either.
Agreed, probably less chance that he would take up the Gophers on a 7th year but I have no idea what his motivations are. Who knows, maybe finishing this season out strong would pull him into seeking the waiver.

I think he played this year to play with Peyton Willis and help Ben out. I doubt he plays next year with Peyton gone. He would be a help but I don't think he does it.

He medically redshirted already. He's not getting a second one for a season 3 years.

What if he starts grad school? Don't you get another year or two for that?

He needs to be coaching and banging on these kids in practice though. He's doing a phenomenal job of showcasing to the youngins the fundamentals and effort that they need to play with ("I did it with no knees, what's your excuse??" lol), but next year it's time to step aside and let the apprentices work imo. Besides, it was already his plan to move on...

Guaranteed he's going to be a positive impact for any of the young men that come through the program in the future.

Curry and Brad Davison will just keep playing and never be done

My understanding is that:

Curry's "normal" 5-year clock expired last year since he first enrolled in the fall of 2016.

His eligibility was automatically extended to a sixth year because everyone got the COVID freebie for 2020-21. This allowed him to play this season.

Because he lost two full years due to injury (and part of another year), he could apply to the NCAA for a waiver to allow him to play another year, but I don't think that's been done yet and I don't think we have any information that would allow us to gauge how likely it would be that he'd be given a seventh year.
The football team had a guy play his 7th year this past fall, Micah Dew-Treadway. https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/micah-dew-treadway/19483

Normal redshirt + medical waiver + covid 2020 free year + 4 regular years.

To apply to Curry's case, I would call 16-17, 18-19, 21-22 and the hypothetical 22-23 as the 4 regular years, 20-21 as the free covid year, and then take your pick of calling 17-18 and 19-20 as either normal redshirt or medical waiver years.

The roster bio makes it sound like he already applied for (and assume was granted) a medical waiver due to the 17-18 season.

He can go straight from playing college basketball to collecting social security benefits!
brilliant-guiness.gif

I'm more curious if the Vikings are going to trade Kirk than I am if Eric plays another year. :)

I don’t believe he has one year of eligibility remaining. I believe he has unlimited. Whenever a guy transfers or quits, he takes their years. Like a vampire taking life from a victim. So with the mass exodus last year curry has roughly 40 years of eligibility stacked up.

Again...God bless him, but it's time to move on.

We're not getting anywhere we want to be with Eric Curry-level talent logging significant playing time.

Top Bottom