Can anybody handle Turner on Sunday?

Sota1

Reaction score
I was very impressed with the defensive performance from Nolen against Turner at the barn. With him being out, I'm a bit concerned about him taking over the game. Not sure Joseph can handle him, but we don't have a lot of other options. Johnson? Turner is a big time player and feel our only chance to beat them is to hold him to some reasonable numbers. The press we used against them was very effective, but the last two games without Nolen it has been average at best.

This is a game we certainly don't have to worry about the opponent's depth. All five Buckeye starters played at least 32 minutes @ Iowa last night. Their bench (Hill, Madsen, Simmons) played a total of 21 minutes. But then again, I'm a believer in playing your best players as much as possible, which Matta does. High D-I players don't get tired. They've been playing basketball 24-7 since they were kids, not to mention all the TV timeouts and pauses in the action.

I like the Jim Molinari theory on a playing rotation: "Play 8, trust 7."

Yeah, I would rather have a somewhat winded Evan Turner on the court than some guy who is fresh from riding the pine.

That being said, back to the original question. Our height and athleticism inside (RSIII, Iverson, DJ, Carter) has been making it difficult for people to get good, close shots all season. While Turner is a decent shooter from midrange, his greatest strength is getting to the hoop. I think that our defense has the ability to alter, if not stop a lot of his drives.

Watching Turner play in the Big Ten is like watching any of the big stars in the NBA. He can do no wrong. He has the tools and he has the refs. That's a tough combination to beat. Johnson could probably do a good job on him, but then who would be left to play in the post?

I would think a combo of Johnson and PC would be our best chance...provided RSIII isnt in foul trouble in the post early

This is a game we certainly don't have to worry about the opponent's depth. All five Buckeye starters played at least 32 minutes @ Iowa last night. Their bench (Hill, Madsen, Simmons) played a total of 21 minutes. But then again, I'm a believer in playing your best players as much as possible, which Matta does. High D-I players don't get tired. They've been playing basketball 24-7 since they were kids, not to mention all the TV timeouts and pauses in the action.

I like the Jim Molinari theory on a playing rotation: "Play 8, trust 7."

That's a good point. Maybe get Turner in foul trouble????

What's the penalty for having six players on the court? It only cost the Vikes five yards for having 12. Oh yeah they lost.

Without Nolen, we'll likely match-up a combination of Damian, Carter and Devoe on him. With Devoe being the last choice. I like the match-up of Damian on him, but VIP needs to make sure he doesn't get into foul trouble in this game. We're going to need him bad.

We have to make sure to go at Lauderdale inside with Sampson and Iverson, both guys are significantly longer than he is, and if we can get him into foul trouble, they'll be hurtin'.

It's been said already, but a DJ and Carter combo would be our best bet. The thought of Devoe guarding him is scary. DJ will definitely accumulate fouls pretty quickly though. I really hope we don't try Sampson on him like we did last year. He just blew by him every play.

Stick Damien on him...Big ten defensive player of the year... he probably has the best chance of holding turner to under 20 points.

Damian

Stick Damien on him...Big ten defensive player of the year... he probably has the best chance of holding turner to under 20 points.

DJ will have trouble stopping anyone if he gets into foul trouble as he did at Indiana and against Northwestern.

DJ had 16 minutes in each of those two games!

He needs to be careful in the first half!

Buckeye Game

Tomm is a payback game for OSU- hate to say but they will win by double digits....

Its not what I want but being realistic......

DJ will have trouble stopping anyone if he gets into foul trouble as he did at Indiana and against Northwestern.

DJ had 16 minutes in each of those two games!

He needs to be careful in the first half!

What's the latest on DJ's thumb/hand?

DJ doesn't get the respect from the referees that he deserves sometimes... lots of the fouls that I see called on him could be just good hustle plays and defense...it's something he's going to have to overcome...I'd expect this game to be a dog fight...wouldn't be suprised if the ref's call lots of ticky tack fouls because of this games already brutal reputation.

Top Bottom