Camp Randall Stadium. Madison, Wi

IrishGoph55

Reaction score
I’m thinking of taking a trip to Madison next season. Has anyone ever seen the Gophs play there? Are the Wisconsin fans cool or like extremely rude? I’ll be with my wife and 2 year old.

I've been to Camp Randall three times so far. Twice with college friends and once with my father and badger friend and his dad. All three times have been an absolute blast. Much more banter when I went with my college friends but you can understand why that may be. It's a rivalry game so you will get banter, but most of it was friendly. I would assume you would be completely fine with your wife and 2 year old as they will most likely leave you alone.

I've had much worst experiences at Iowa. I had a father with two children behind us mocking P.J. and swearing for the majority of the game. Those fans are pr*cks to say the least.

My favorite opposing big ten west stadiums to visit are Nebraska and Wisconsin. Purdue isn't bad but not much of an environment.

Overall, Camp Randall is a very fun experience.

Buckle up have been to 10 Big Ten stadiums, Badger fans are the worst. You talk to any other fan base and it is the same experience. Have been there 10 times for the Gopher game my advice is sit with a Badger friend or as far as way from the student section as you can. The drunken horde is mitigated the farther away from the epicenter as you can be. If we win, get the hell out of there quickly unless you are in a large group. Have been there twice for wins in 94 and 2018. Was a cherubic youth the first time and as an adult. Similar experiences nothing but drunken arseholes.

Long post…Been there 3 times. First time it was awful. Walking to the stadium with my pregnant wife, my 2 year old daughter, and my sister in law. Wife, daughter and I are wearing Gopher gear, sister in law is a UW grad and wearing badger gear. Go to a tailgate through her work, good natured back and forth…no issues. Start heading towards stadium it was constant insults and swearing at us. I have my daughter on my shoulders. Drunk guy starts berating us from behind short fence at a house where a bunch of folks are gathered and we ignore. Guy throws frozen brat intended to hit me and hits 2 year old in face! Needless to say it’s on, fortunately a cop is right behind us, sees whole thing and arrests guy. She’s crying and doesn’t even want to go to the game. Then as we get close to get in mob of people, some are cool but many yell insults…she’s scared out of her mind! What the actual F is wrong with these people??? Wait until no mob, go in and it was fine from there. 2nd time there with buddies, friendly banter, drunk guys in hall push me and want to fight for coming to “their stadium” we have the numbers and we walk away no problems. Sit down folks seem ok, mostly older crowd. Game goes on and when the Gophs have the lead at half grandma behind me dumps a beer all over my back! Seriously what? She laughs about it. Gal was probably in her 70s! (Brew of course choked the game away and lost a close one 35-32) Last time there was about 6 years ago told my buddies how awful it is and get ready…and it was great! Folks were cool, no issues, people just being fans, a little good natured banter. Fun experience. I’ve been to Lambau field about 8 times for Vikes Pack and never have had an issue ever. Fans are awesome and a wonderful experience. No idea why they have been bad at Camp Randal 2 of 3. I did sit far away from student section all times because I was told things can get out of hand down there.

I’m thinking of taking a trip to Madison next season. Has anyone ever seen the Gophs play there? Are the Wisconsin fans cool or like extremely rude? I’ll be with my wife and 2 year old.
I've been to Madison once and it was an awful experience. Won't go back.

Been to all B1G stadiums for Gopher games. Camp Randall is a cesspool unlike any other, and it’s not even close. Been there 3 times. Each time, been berated with insane amounts of swearing and yelling (not good natured ribbing). Had batteries thrown at me during the game while other Badger fans cheered. Had numerous people threaten to fight me unprovoked. It is literally about the last place I’d bring my 2 year old. One would hope Badger fans would recognize a child and tone it down, but I doubt it; they are the most vile, disgusting fans I’ve ever experienced in any sport in any venue, and very easily the drunkest.

Been to all B1G stadiums for Gopher games. Camp Randall is a cesspool unlike any other, and it’s not even close. Been there 3 times. Each time, been berated with insane amounts of swearing and yelling (not good natured ribbing). Had batteries thrown at me during the game while other Badger fans cheered. Had numerous people threaten to fight me unprovoked. It is literally about the last place I’d bring my 2 year old. One would hope Badger fans would recognize a child and tone it down, but I doubt it; they are the most vile, disgusting fans I’ve ever experienced in any sport in any venue, and very easily the drunkest.
Pretty similar to my experience.

It's been awhile, so take that with a grain of salt. It may have changed. Been there 3 times...2000, 2002 and 2004.

There are 3 types of Badger fans that I've observed.
1. The fans on the sidelines are going to be older and more tolerable to be around. These will be your season ticket holders from Madison, Milwaukee and even greater Chicago.

2. The fans in the endzones are more likely to be your drunk idiots from the sticks that have cars on blocks in their front yard and have turned over every piece of discretionary income they have to attend their one game a season. They view this day as their God given day to get blackout drunk and yell and scream at anyone. These are also the fans that typically travel to road games too.

3. The student section. The Badger student section is notorious for their vulgar chants. Even the administration knows it's a problem as it reflects very poorly on the University. Expect a lot of questions from your children of "What does that mean?"

I've been to WI & IA each thrice. IA is the fun drunks; WI is the mean drunks. Only more hostile fans I've experienced is SCSU hockey.
I've never had a problem in St. Cloud. Been many times for Gopher hockey. UMD is worse but still tolerable.

Been there 2x in the past six years. Went with several other gopher fans and had a great time. I’ve always attended with the view that the jerks (in every crowd) leave you alone if you don’t make yourself a target and that has worked. If someone says something, don’t engage them. We have also ran into some really cool badger fans and had friendly banter. Go, it’s a great college football experience. Agree with above, Nebraska fans are hands down the nicest fans in the Big10, many go out of there way to welcome you.

I have been several times and it's been mostly positive. Adults can have a lot of fun in Madison. You may have groups of students and drunk adults point at you and chant "asshole!!" on the way to or in the stadium. I have seen that done to people with small children, so I wouldn't count on having a two-year-old to immunize you from that or similar harassment. Agree that it's less hostile on the Fieldhouse end of the stadium away from the students.

All that said, I would not bring a small child there for a game in November. While the atmosphere can be a lot of fun, Camp Randall as a physical structure is a DUMP. You will crammed onto a bench with about 16" allotted per seat. Have you seen the size of the average wisconsin ass? Now add a layer of winter clothing and a blanket to that. The result is that you are either going to have to sit wedged into a solid row of people or you will have to stand, neither of which is comfortable for a two year-old. Thinking of holding the tyke on your lap? Good luck. Your knees are already going to be lodged into the back of the poor schlub sitting in front of you and you won't be able to move back on your bench because the guy behind you will have his knees pushing into your kidneys. I don't even want to think about taking a small child in winter gear to go to the bathroom there.

So my advice would either be to leave the kid with a sitter and enjoy the game with your wife or take the family to Northwestern.

Been there 2x in the past six years. Went with several other gopher fans and had a great time. I’ve always attended with the view that the jerks (in every crowd) leave you alone if you don’t make yourself a target and that has worked. If someone says something, don’t engage them. We have also ran into some really cool badger fans and had friendly banter. Go, it’s a great college football experience. Agree with above, Nebraska fans are hands down the nicest fans in the Big10, many go out of there way to welcome you.
When we went as a group of a few couples, we were completely minding our own business and not engaging any Wiscy fans. We were verbally berated and threatened for about 5 straight hours.

I went once, the 2000 game. Didn't have any problem, good time.

I've been there 6 times; I know they're doing some more renovations & stuff, but to me, the biggest thing is I think the actual stadium sucks.

Personally, it's been hit or miss for me in terms of their fans. Sometimes it's been ok; sometimes not. I've had more issues at Camp Randall than I have in Iowa City, where I've also been 6 times.

I think you should attempt to experience it at least once, but I would wait to bring any child until they're at least 12 or 13. If the choice is ever Madison vs. Iowa City, I personally would always choose Iowa City.

Long post…Been there 3 times. First time it was awful. Walking to the stadium with my pregnant wife, my 2 year old daughter, and my sister in law. Wife, daughter and I are wearing Gopher gear, sister in law is a UW grad and wearing badger gear. Go to a tailgate through her work, good natured back and forth…no issues. Start heading towards stadium it was constant insults and swearing at us. I have my daughter on my shoulders. Drunk guy starts berating us from behind short fence at a house where a bunch of folks are gathered and we ignore. Guy throws frozen brat intended to hit me and hits 2 year old in face! Needless to say it’s on, fortunately a cop is right behind us, sees whole thing and arrests guy. She’s crying and doesn’t even want to go to the game. Then as we get close to get in mob of people, some are cool but many yell insults…she’s scared out of her mind! What the actual F is wrong with these people??? Wait until no mob, go in and it was fine from there. 2nd time there with buddies, friendly banter, drunk guys in hall push me and want to fight for coming to “their stadium” we have the numbers and we walk away no problems. Sit down folks seem ok, mostly older crowd. Game goes on and when the Gophs have the lead at half grandma behind me dumps a beer all over my back! Seriously what? She laughs about it. Gal was probably in her 70s! (Brew of course choked the game away and lost a close one 35-32) Last time there was about 6 years ago told my buddies how awful it is and get ready…and it was great! Folks were cool, no issues, people just being fans, a little good natured banter. Fun experience. I’ve been to Lambau field about 8 times for Vikes Pack and never have had an issue ever. Fans are awesome and a wonderful experience. No idea why they have been bad at Camp Randal 2 of 3. I did sit far away from student section all times because I was told things can get out of hand down there.
Name checks out.

But no, I've heard of people having similar experiences, that's awful.

Mine have always been fun. I had an exceptional time in 2018. But I've always had good times but there are a disproportionate number of law class aholes in Madison compared to other Big 10 stadiums (other than Columbus).

Been there twice, Badger fans are a disgusting bunch. And it must be a state-wide thing. I’ve been to a couple of DIII games in WI, and the common denominator at each site is cheering when opponents are injured.

Name checks out.

But no, I've heard of people having similar experiences, that's awful.

Mine have always been fun. I had an exceptional time in 2018. But I've always had good times but there are a disproportionate number of law class aholes in Madison compared to other Big 10 stadiums (other than Columbus).
"Law class"? Freudian slip?

I went in 2018 when we won the ax. I was the lone gopher with some badger friends, and I was not obnoxious at all. I cheered when good things happened (as any fan would), but I guess that was enough for multiple female badger fans in my general vicinity to threaten to "kick my a**." They were literally in my face. Even my badger friends were appalled and stuck up for me.

The threats were most prevalent in the 4th quarter when alcohol intake had taken max effect.

100% worth it, and I'd do it again, just not with my kid...

Top Bottom