Camp Kelly

Duluthguy

Reaction score
Apparently ND's new head coach likes to make his players pay an extreme physical price to show their commitment to the team and the school. At the beginning of winter workouts, seven players threw up during the stretching exercises. Sometime before spring practice, the team will go through Camp Kelly, which sounds like training for the Navy Seals. It's designed to push them past their limits so they pay such a high price to play that losing a game is not an option. I can see positives and negatives to this approach. I know from going through a lot of Army training that you can get a perverse sense of pride from surviving pure hell. But, you can also end up hating the people and the institution that put you through that hell. ( From what I hear, Kelly expects some players to quit.) What's everyone else think? Is putting your team through near torture a good idea? Does the end justify the means?

Without specifics it's all a matter of opinion. From what it sounds like, some of these guys aren't in good physical shape -- which is a valid reason to have them be put through rigorous exercise. If something was wrong here, the school or NCAA would step in. It's not like it's his first time doing this.

its better then from what i've heard the "soft camp" brew uses. He isn't soft emotionaly on the players (he isn't scared to yell), its the physical part that has been known to not be too hard.

Case in point Moses Alipate's weight.

Apparently ND's new head coach likes to make his players pay an extreme physical price to show their commitment to the team and the school. At the beginning of winter workouts, seven players threw up during the stretching exercises. Sometime before spring practice, the team will go through Camp Kelly, which sounds like training for the Navy Seals. It's designed to push them past their limits so they pay such a high price to play that losing a game is not an option. I can see positives and negatives to this approach. I know from going through a lot of Army training that you can get a perverse sense of pride from surviving pure hell. But, you can also end up hating the people and the institution that put you through that hell. ( From what I hear, Kelly expects some players to quit.) What's everyone else think? Is putting your team through near torture a good idea? Does the end justify the means?

Was this something that he did at Cinncinati as well, or does he just want to make a statement when he starts at ND?

At Wisconsin I heard a lot of anecdotes about similar stuff when Alvarez came in. A fair number of guys quit the first year. I don't think this is that uncommon, especially for a new coach.

New Coaches!

I think Brewster had a few quit during his first season at the U. I do not recall why or who did but I think every new coach wants to make that "tough" statement to all their players right away.

Maybe this is good or bad. Depends on the final record at the end of the season.

Isn't any tougher.....

than what Holtz ran there. Separate the sheeps from the goats....

Holtz at Notre Dame....

I recall hearing stories (true) about good old Lou grabbing kid's facemasks when screamed and swore at them. Pretty sure ND had players quitting there too.

But he did win a national chamionship for the Irish.

Need to break barriers

Most people are more capable then they believe themselves to be. A good coach will push guys to break past those limitations. And a good coach will know when to ease up before a real limitation is reached.

Welcome to college football

its better then from what i've heard the "soft camp" brew uses. He isn't soft emotionaly on the players (he isn't scared to yell), its the physical part that has been known to not be too hard.

I'm a fan of intense conditioning, have no problem with running guys hard as long as you allow rest and time to recover after sessions.

I thought I'd chime in, I'm not sure if you were at the signing day social, Moses looked much better than he did at the victory walks this fall. I'd bet he's down around 255 and much more solid looking.
BTW Gray is a beast in person, he's got to be all of 6'6''.

When Urban Mayer got to Utah he did this same thing. I think he locked the doors to the training facility, put garbage cans out for people to throw up in and ran them until they dropped then told them that anyone who couldn't handle it should leave. They lost a few players but you know the rest. I don't know if he did it at Florida though

I can't let this go without comment. At the signing social I took the facilities tour led by Moses and Gray. Moses is big but NOT FAT ! He is as tall as MG but about twice as wide. He has a handshake that could crush beer cans - full ones that is. I'll post more on this later.

seven players threw up during the stretching exercises

I doubt the veracity of this quote. I have never in my life heard of someone throwing up from stretching. Are you sure they didn't have a foodborne illness?

I doubt the veracity of this quote. I have never in my life heard of someone throwing up from stretching. Are you sure they didn't have a foodborne illness?

You've clearly never worked out with Billy Blanks

meetbilly.gif

Mostly likely a case of a dirty behind. Probably came from duo stretching where one person is helping stetch the hamstring of the other by pushing their leg to their head, hence exposing a non-sanitary behind.

Hope that helps. (what would be the best emoticon for this post icey?)

Some of the hardest boot camps were run by Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, Frank Kush, and Murray Warmath. I'm sure it still continues at winning programs, but kids today are alot different than in the 60's.

Some of the hardest boot camps were run by Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, Frank Kush, and Murray Warmath. I'm sure it still continues at winning programs, but kids today are alot different than in the 60's.

That's true. One of the previous posters mentioned Holtz grabbing facemasks and hollering at players, profanities yet! Um, that was pretty common in high school when I played. I mean, if a coach wants to get a guy's attention it's pretty tough to get distracted while he's got a mitt wrapped around your face gear and he's verbally grinding you into last night's hash.

Now, now, not saying it was a good thing, just saying it was normal. Hey, I one time on a business trip I met a guy who had been a Michigan captain back in, oh, the early 80's I suppose. I asked him what it had been like playing for Bo. He said, "You know how nuts everyone thinks he is? They don't know half of it."

I can't let this go without comment. At the signing social I took the facilities tour led by Moses and Gray. Moses is big but NOT FAT ! He is as tall as MG but about twice as wide. He has a handshake that could crush beer cans - full ones that is. I'll post more on this later.

LOL THAT IS A GOOD ONE. I have seen Gray in person many times and if Moses was twice as wide as him without being Fat he would be bigger then our D tackles. You really need to get your facts straight. Gray is a freaking beast.

Twice as wide:D:D:D:D That is a good one.

Top Bottom