Caitlin Clark offered 5 million to join Ice Cube's BIG3 basketball league

After a little thought, (it always hurts when I try and think) should have posted it in the Pro Sports-Pop Culture Board.
Apologies.

Not sure I follow?
Being offered that kind of money from what is effectively a start up sounds high risk to me. They can promise but she needs to get solid proof they can deliver.

I’m old enough to remember start up leagues who promised big bucks and a year later were bankrupt.

After a little thought, (it always hurts when I try and think) should have posted it in the Pro Sports-Pop Culture Board.
Apologies.

We have women's college basketball forum as well.

Either way, I'm sure she won't take this offer, but if it's a legit $5MM/year offer, she should absolutely cash in.

Go Gophers!!

Being offered that kind of money from what is effectively a start up sounds high risk to me. They can promise but she needs to get solid proof they can deliver.

I’m old enough to remember start up leagues who promised big bucks and a year later were bankrupt.
Gotcha. Cube seems pretty invested, and Clark would definitely be the spark he needs to hit that next level. He said she could do both, so I'm not sure what she would risk by accepting.

Would this be for the 3x3 men's league? It would be a joke if she played and she'd be embarrassingly overmatched; especially with the men's size ball. She's one of the best female players in the world but couldn't start on virtually very D3 college mens team.

Would this be for the 3x3 men's league? It would be a joke if she played and she'd be embarrassingly overmatched; especially with the men's size ball. She's one of the best female players in the world but couldn't start on virtually very D3 college mens team.
I didn't realize there was no women's league...
I was actually thinking 3x3 would be a much better product for women players to show off their talents, and Clark might be what they need to make that shift.

Fighting Pike forever!

The BIG3 is 7 years old. How many of you knew it existed? I did not. I haven't watched but it says retired NBA players participate. If they take it seriously, how is Clark going to play with elite crafty guys much taller and quicker?
Globetrotter style is the only way I see that working.
And ya, get the money in advance.

Cue the stepbrothers “it’s a simple business decision “

She'll lose her fans if she becomes a rapper like Flau-jay Johnson & Ice Cube or a 'model' like Angel Reese.

The BIG3 is 7 years old. How many of you knew it existed? I did not. I haven't watched but it says retired NBA players participate. If they take it seriously, how is Clark going to play with elite crafty guys much taller and quicker?
I knew it existed and actually was rooting some for former Gopher Royce White (this was years ago before it was clear he went off the deep end). It started out with more well known former players (Allen Iverson played one of the years, "White Chocolate" Jason Williams played a year or two, Chauncey Billups, etc). As the league has continued, it seems like there are more and more former fringe NBA guys in the league (At one point I believe you had to be at least 30 to play, not sure if that is still the case) who were younger and could play a little better but just didn't have the name value. One older guy who was a lot of fun to watch in that league was Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf who was still an absolute sniper and was able to occasionally take a game over with his shooting against much bigger/younger opposition. The best player in recent years I believe has been Joe Johnson (Iso Joe) the former Celtic/Sun/Hawk. I think he even made it back to the NBA briefly (with the Pistons?) after playing with in the Big 3.

As for the Clark offer, if it's actually legitimate and not a publicity stunt, I wonder if their broadcast partner is picking up part of the tab. The ratings for her NCAA games have been off the charts. CBS getting her for a couple Saturday/Sunday afternoons in the Summer and drawing even 1/4 of what her last game drew would be a huge success for them. The Big 3 would have to change their format to something resembling mixed doubles in Tennis for this to work. Of course the biggest issue with this is that the Big 3 schedule occurs during the WNBA season. It's great that Ice Cube says she could also play in the WNBA, but I doubt the WNBA would let a contracted player risk injury by playing in another league during their season (nevermind the scheduling conflicts if the Fever had a Saturday/Sunday game when Clark was scheduled for the Big 3).

They have a deal with CBS and I’ve watched parts of a game before; they increased their visibility, as you’ve now heard of them.

I've known it existed for a while because I've seen Ice Cube videos where he mentioned it. I tuned in late one night a few years back, and caught Royce White playing for some team. Clark would get destroyed in that league.

Top Bottom