Bye Week

Then the Huskers coming to town. Can Fleck and Co generate a solid game plan based on the extra time to prep? Keeping Martinez in check will be critical.

Plus guys like CAB, SoriMarino, and others get time to heal and also get Wright back.

I think if we can continue to stop the run and keep everything in front of us, Nebraska will implode. Martinez can be tough because he can make big plays, I don't think if he has to dink and dunk on us all game that they can avoid a couple big mistakes.

It may boil down to a battle of the Defenses against Nebbie unless the Gopher Offense started clicking.

It may boil down to a battle of the Defenses against Nebbie unless the Gopher Offense started clicking.
If that is the case I'd pick Nebraska -- their defense is the best behind Iowa in the West -- but I think that it hinges on getting Martinez to give us the ball at least twice.

If that is the case I'd pick Nebraska -- their defense is the best behind Iowa in the West -- but I think that it hinges on getting Martinez to give us the ball at least twice.
Tanner Morgan should continue to throw those long passes to keep Nebraska honest. That is how you break the dam or the back of a Defense. Forget about completion statistics. All we need is a couple of game-changing catches.

Tanner Morgan should continue to throw those long passes to keep Nebraska honest. That is how you break the dam or the back of a Defense. Forget about completion statistics. All we need is a couple of game-changing catches.
You can't rely on the deep ball as much as they did today. You keep drives going by mixing the running game with short catch and run passing. Slants, outs, and screens are higher percentage (for moving the ball, not completition stats) and get you first downs. When the defense is forced to play receivers close to the line of scrimmage then you have great opportunity to go deep and have a guy open.

Big game at home....Crowd will be in it, especially the student section....Should have a decent Nebraska contingent....Cannot lay an egg like Bowling green and expect fans to keep coming back.

You can't rely on the deep ball as much as they did today. You keep drives going by mixing the running game with short catch and run passing. Slants, outs, and screens are higher percentage (for moving the ball, not completition stats) and get you first downs. When the defense is forced to play receivers close to the line of scrimmage then you have great opportunity to go deep and have a guy open.
The RPO that they were doing is a given. They just got away from it with the current players that they have to replace the last two years plus Mo having a season-ending injury hurt. The deep ball is important for the Gopher WRs. They have to keep doing it once in a while until it becomes a part of their DNA as a balanced team.

Last edited:

Nebraska just beat Northwestern 56-7. This will be one heck of a game. During our bye week, Nebbie plays a brutally tough Michigan team. The way the Badgers are playing, this game could be the battle for the team that might be in a position to ruin Iowa’s magical season.

Maybe an extra week will allow Mo to get healthy(sarcasm... But seriously)

It could be a game that boils down to QB mistakes/turnovers.
Morgan is more reliable IMO. But that changes if we are behind late and have to throw.
Martinez seems to be more Favre like and makes plays he can’t cash in on which result in turnovers. Up to Gophers to make him feel the heat.
Would be nice to brainwash OC into believing Potts is Mo so he could call plays like he did against tOSU.
Need that offense back on the field!

Top Bottom