By Beating Becky Do We Avoid Pinstripes Bowl

MennoSota

Reaction score
I can hardly think of a less thrilling bowl game than the Pinstripes Bowl in the Bronx Cesspool. Does the Gopher victory over Wisconsin get us into a warm weather Bowl game? If so, which one?

Definitely. Currently speculating between Music City and Vegas. If things go our way, maybe a NY6 Bowl.

Definitely. Currently speculating between Music City and Vegas. If things go our way, maybe a NY6 Bowl.

I assume you are referring to a New Years Day bowl. NY6 are the CFP bowls.

NY6 is doubtful at 8-4, Outback or Music City are most likely destinations.

I wouldn't think the Gophers will be in the Pinstripe Bowl, but is there a non-zero chance we end up with some sort of scenario like

Citrus Bowl - Iowa, because they haven't played there in about 15 years
Outback Bowl - Wisconsin, because they haven't played there in several years
Las Vegas Bowl - Purdue, because they haven't played in a high level bowl game in 15+ years
Guaranteed Rate Bowl - Penn State, because they've played in the Pinstripe Bowl before
Pinstripe Bowl - Minnesota, because they've never played in the Pinstripe Bowl

Could maybe swap Purdue and Wisconsin in that scenario. It'd feel like quite a shaft to get the Pinstripe Bowl, but it seems like you could come up with some sort of justification for it.

EDIT: I had forgotten about the Music City Bowl. Is the Music City Bowl even guaranteed to take a Big Ten team? I thought it was one of those bowls where it was an SEC team against either a Big Ten or ACC team.

I will add though that Iowa has had multiple Outback Bowl appearances within 2-3 years of each other, and something like 5 Outback Bowls in 15 years, so I don't think it's a sure thing that they'll keep Minnesota out of the Outback Bowl just because we were there 2 years ago.

I wouldn't think the Gophers will be in the Pinstripe Bowl, but is there a non-zero chance we end up with some sort of scenario like

Citrus Bowl - Iowa, because they haven't played there in about 15 years
Outback Bowl - Wisconsin, because they haven't played there in several years
Las Vegas Bowl - Purdue, because they haven't played in a high level bowl game in 15+ years
Guaranteed Rate Bowl - Penn State, because they've played in the Pinstripe Bowl before
Pinstripe Bowl - Minnesota, because they've never played in the Pinstripe Bowl

Could maybe swap Purdue and Wisconsin in that scenario. It'd feel like quite a shaft to get the Pinstripe Bowl, but it seems like you could come up with some sort of justification for it.

EDIT: I had forgotten about the Music City Bowl. Is the Music City Bowl even guaranteed to take a Big Ten team? I thought it was one of those bowls where it was an SEC team against either a Big Ten or ACC team.

I will add though that Iowa has had multiple Outback Bowl appearances within 2-3 years of each other, and something like 5 Outback Bowls in 15 years, so I don't think it's a sure thing that they'll keep Minnesota out of the Outback Bowl just because we were there 2 years ago.
Some projections have us facing Tennessee in the Music City Bowl. My money is on that, the build up for that would be good. Tennessee was rumored to be interested in Fleck as a strong candidate for their coaching position last year but turned them down to stay here.

I wouldn't think the Gophers will be iEDIT: I had forgotten about the Music City Bowl. Is the Music City Bowl even guaranteed to take a Big Ten team? I thought it was one of those bowls where it was an SEC team against either a Big Ten or ACC team.
It is a Big 10 vs Sec matchup through 2025.

there are at least two other threads discussing possible bowl matchups.

here is all I will say. the Gophers will play somebody somewhere in a bowl game. and I will watch it. I'm not going to lose sleep because the Gophers did not get invited to a more prestigious bowl game. If you want to go to a better bowl game, don't lose to Bowling Green and Illinois.

there are at least two other threads discussing possible bowl matchups.

here is all I will say. the Gophers will play somebody somewhere in a bowl game. and I will watch it. I'm not going to lose sleep because the Gophers did not get invited to a more prestigious bowl game. If you want to go to a better bowl game, don't lose to Bowling Green and Illinois.
Woah, the gophers lost to bowling green and Illinois? I didn’t know that.

Yes, but that was before the conference insisted on more power in assigning bowls to its teams and the conference supposedly wants to spread the appearances around instead of teams repeating performances in the same bowl. Formerly, Iowa would get picked for higher ranking bowls even during lesser seasons because its fans traveled very well. That's part of the reason why Iowa had only a 3-7 bowl record from the years 2005 through 2016.

He'd better be wrong on that. If not, we have a right to be upset.

Would make more sense to have a bowl game here. At least we have a "dome".

Top Bottom