Burning spring football questions for every Big Ten team (Minnesota: What will the new QB provide?)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Brandon:

Minnesota hasn't quite recaptured the magic at quarterback since Tanner Morgan led the Gophers to an 11-2 record while throwing for 3,253 yards and 30 touchdowns in 2019.
The team's passing offense has been abysmal since that breakthrough season, ranking no higher than 92nd before bottoming out last season at 123rd (143.4 yards per game). All four quarterbacks from a year ago are gone, with three transferring to other schools, including former starter Athan Kaliakmanis (Rutgers).

Enter Max Brosmer, a graduate transfer from New Hampshire who will assume the starting role. He led all of the FCS in passing last season (3,498 yards) and was a finalist for the Walton Payton Award. His numbers are impressive but how will he adjust with a receiver room that has struggled over the years? It's no secret Minnesota wanted to throw the ball more in 2023, and the lack of talent forced coaches to rethink their plans.

Daniel Jackson returns after leading the team in receiving (831 yards), but experience beyond him is lacking. Elijah Spencercaught only nine passes last season and Lemeke Brockington missed six games with a knee injury and caught only six passes.

Go Gophers!!

Per Brandon:

Minnesota hasn't quite recaptured the magic at quarterback since Tanner Morgan led the Gophers to an 11-2 record while throwing for 3,253 yards and 30 touchdowns in 2019.
The team's passing offense has been abysmal since that breakthrough season, ranking no higher than 92nd before bottoming out last season at 123rd (143.4 yards per game). All four quarterbacks from a year ago are gone, with three transferring to other schools, including former starter Athan Kaliakmanis (Rutgers).

Enter Max Brosmer, a graduate transfer from New Hampshire who will assume the starting role. He led all of the FCS in passing last season (3,498 yards) and was a finalist for the Walton Payton Award. His numbers are impressive but how will he adjust with a receiver room that has struggled over the years? It's no secret Minnesota wanted to throw the ball more in 2023, and the lack of talent forced coaches to rethink their plans.

Daniel Jackson returns after leading the team in receiving (831 yards), but experience beyond him is lacking. Elijah Spencercaught only nine passes last season and Lemeke Brockington missed six games with a knee injury and caught only six passes.

Go Gophers!!
But I thought this was just PJ being PJ. Or Harbaugh being terrible, not AK lacking talent.

/s

in the OP, the author says all 4 QB's from a year ago are gone.

But as far as I know, Shik is still on the roster - so that would be 3 QB's gone from last year.

Typo or careless mistake?

(once a proofreader, always a proofreader)

BTW - I would still like to see the Gophers add another QB for the 2024 season. If anything happens to Brosmer, I would be very worried about going into games with Lindsey and Shik as the only two QB options.

I do believe they do want to open up the offense more. Jackson must believe it, otherwise he probably would have transferred out.
It’s these kind of posts that floor me. Every player that don’t get enough touches or TDs automatically transfer. There is no other reason they stay. Good god.

Top Bottom