Bubble?

I tried asking this in a different thread somewhere. Remember the thread someone used to do that had the must win games, 50/50 games etc.

A safe general rule is 0.500 in the Big Ten gets you in, or be one game under 0.500 then win a BTT game or two provided your non-conference was solid.

Gophers this year have two non-conference road wins against power 5 teams, that's a good bump there that will help their resume at the end of the season.

I don't know enough to see if a 0.500 season is possible, especially since this rotation isn't deep, but they are obviously doing all the right things so far. I'm worried their efficiencies ratings will affect their NET substantially since they aren't blowing out anyone, and to have a high efficiency differential, you need to be winning by big margins.

We only play Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan once each.

Penn State and Northwestern twice each.
Rutgers, Wisconsin, Maryland, Indiana all are beatable.

Gophers have looked better than half of the conference so far.

I think when it comes to the Big Ten season, we should just look at the team we play next, and concentrate on playing well against them, and maybe we win. Repeat for each game.

Let's not count the wins until at least February. (we have 7).

I think when it comes to the Big Ten season, we should just look at the team we play next, and concentrate on playing well against them, and maybe we win. Repeat for each game.

Let's not count the wins until at least February. (we have 7).
It's all about championship seasons

We are on the bubble of the bubble
  • th

When will we get our first? Probably not tonight.

Gophers will be a tough out this year.

Loved the effort tonight, Mich St is very good. We didn't quit after getting down 19.

May be a rough start to confrence play record wise, but there are a lot of opportunities to win down the stretch the way we fight.

Just keep battling.

Ski-U-Mah!

The NIT dream is alive. Find 7 wins
1. Nebraska
2. Penn State
3. @ Penn State
4. @ Northwestern
5. Northwestern
6. @ Maryland
7. Rutgers

(( in no particular order ))

Better shoot the 3 better. Putrid today. That can't continue or we are toast.

A safe general rule is 0.500 in the Big Ten gets you in, or be one game under 0.500 then win a BTT game or two provided your non-conference was solid.

Gophers this year have two non-conference road wins against power 5 teams, that's a good bump there that will help their resume at the end of the season.

I don't know enough to see if a 0.500 season is possible, especially since this rotation isn't deep, but they are obviously doing all the right things so far. I'm worried their efficiencies ratings will affect their NET substantially since they aren't blowing out anyone, and to have a high efficiency differential, you need to be winning by big margins.
Not true on the efficiency ratings margin. NET will show what tier teams we best.

If it’s the right 8 and a couple of B1G tournament. 20 wins usually gets you in.
Big ten isn’t as good as it has been recently. I think 10-10 probably necessary

I think the NIT is a realistic goal this year. Which would be a massive overacheivment considering how many of us (and the pundits) thought the season would go with basically a brand new team from the top down. And that was prior to injuries taking out a couple of guys who we thought would at the very least

Ben Johnson had done a fantastic job with the hand dealt. The defensive effort has been particularly impressive. The scheme is designed to provide assistance to the front court, where we are going to be undersized and out manned all season. They've played it great....keeping the ball from getting down low. And major props to both Curry and Daniels. Those guys are playing strong against guys that should be eating them alive. Guards are beating their screens and staying in position. They aren't allowing easy drives to the bucket. I love everything about the effort on this team. Will probably end up giving some teams some open looks from three....but I think Johnson can live with that. Make them beat us with outside shooting like MSU had to do yesterday.

Shooting is really going to determine how the season goes. Shoot like we did against Mississippi State....and there aren't many teams that the Gophers can't beat. Shoot impressive. we did last night....and we'll probably be on the outside looking in.

We only play Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan once each.

Penn State and Northwestern twice each.
Rutgers, Wisconsin, Maryland, Indiana all are beatable.

Gophers have looked better than half of the conference so far.

I would say that Wisconsin looks like one of the best teams in the conference so far and will be difficult to beat. We play only five games against the four teams ranked below us by the quantitative indexes (Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, and Nebraska). We may play Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan only once but we play Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa twice. The conference didn't do us any favors in scheduling especially given how they front loaded the schedule.

Big ten isn’t as good as it has been recently. I think 10-10 probably necessary

I think you're probably right about that. This could be a season where the conference gets only 7 teams in the tournament. Part of that could be a counter reaction to taking 9 teams last year and the conference underachieving in the tournament.

I think you're probably right about that. This could be a season where the conference gets only 7 teams in the tournament. Part of that could be a counter reaction to taking 9 teams last year and the conference underachieving in the tournament.
It’s also we just don’t have 7-8 top 25 teams this year. (4 right now in NET)
The big ten has 8 top 50 teams instead. (Right now)
Which is fine, but it means that you don’t just rack up quad 1 wins for beating anyone anywhere.

Last year you go 8-10 in conference you have 6 quad 1 wins.
This year you go 8-10 in conference you’re going to have 2-4 quad 1 wins.

We may play Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan only once but we play Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa twice. The conference didn't do us any favors in scheduling especially given how they front loaded the schedule.
The 3 best teams in the conference (one of which is the #1 team in the nation right now). And you get 2 of the 3 at home. That is very fortunate scheduling.
We get a lot of the middle and bottom of the conference.
You only think the schedule is hard because of how you perceive the Gophers right now.
There are plenty of winnable games on the schedule and they lucked out on a couple tough road matchups.

Top Bottom