BTNs Tom Dienhart: Jerry Kill was one of game's best coaches, people

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart:

Kill always impressed me with his authenticity. He was genuine, the real McCoy, in an era where images and personas are well-managed and manicured among a growing flock of look-at-me-visor-wearing coaches who coin corny mantras and live to jab others with dopey press conference quotes.

That wasn’t Kill. He wasn’t interested in tweeting at rappers in this increasingly self-absorbed, selfie-taking world. And he never boasted about things like “having a schematic advantage.” Kill was singularly focused on winning football games and building better people. And, he always wanted to earn his keep.

“I said from the day I came in, I would not steal from the university and I have not,” Kill said.

That quote sums up Kill perfectly. In short, he was a handshake-is-my-word kind of guy from a black-and-white Andy Griffith era who was as pure as his modest Cheney, Kansas, roots would suggest. This is a ball cap-wearing guy from a roll-up your sleeves family who was the first to graduate from college. No way he was gonna let his family down. Kill was gonna make something of himself—and make the world a better place. He did just that for the countless players that he coached over the years at places that ESPN GameDay could care less about on a Saturday morning.

http://btn.com/2015/10/28/dienhart-jerry-kill-was-one-of-games-best-coaches-people/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom