BTN's Tom Dienhart: Biggest disappointment: Minnesota

What a joke. We held them to their lowest point total all year, and second-fewest rushing yards (only Ohio State held them to less). How can anything be a disappointment for this team at this point in the season after a last-place Legends finish was predicted by almost everyone outside the program?

Clearly the offense needs to get better. However, remember Nelson only played for not even half of last season - he is still young. We need Edwards and Jones badly, plus a few burner JUCO WRs.

70% of the gopher fans on this board picked the Gophers to win on the poll posted here...;)

By no means have I read everything that has been written about the game. But so far the must critical quotes about the performance of the Gophers that I have seen were made by Jerry Kill. Everyone else seems to be claiming something like a moral victory over the Badgers because of the way the defense played. That includes Reusse. If Nelson and the rest of the offense had played the way they should have the Gophers could have won that game. Since the offense didn't perform close to their capabilities anyone critiquing the game is obligated to say it without making excuses for them. No fan base in the Top 25 ever makes excuses for their team when their offense is shutout.

I'm not so sure Wisconsin fans felt their team had control midway through the second quarter with the Gophers looking like they might extend their lead to two scores.

Since the offense didn't perform close to their capabilities anyone critiquing the game is obligated to say it without making excuses for them. No fan base in the Top 25 ever makes excuses for their team when their offense is shutout.

Believe me, I'm the first person wishing we would have executed better on offense and won the game. However, we started two freshman WRs and a frosh tight end, in addition to missing our leading receiver because of injury. Our leading rusher wasn't even on the depth chart at the beginning of the year, our leading rusher from last year was a total non-factor this season, and our only running back with top-end speed (Berkley Edwards) never saw the field. Our biggest home-run threat at this point in the year is probably Donovahn Jones and he was a non-factor until the Nebraska game. Don't forget how the departure of our leading receiver last year, Barker, impacted both the stability of the team and offensive production this season.

Sure, we dropped balls and Nelson made some poor decisions, but we were going up against a defense that ranked in the top 5 nationally in certain defensive statistical categories, as well as near the top of the Big Ten (probably second to MSU). Borland tied the NCAA-record for career forced fumbles by stripping Nelson in the first half. That said, Nelson had an open target on that 3rd and 10 that would have been a first down if caught, but decided to wait and go for a bigger gain - underclassman mistake - and that split-second hesitation resulted in a fumble. We have a large number of underclassmen overall, but especially at the offensive skill positions. As for the Top 25 ranking, we were profoundly lucky to even achieve this considering the adversity we have faced this season, particularly regarding Coach Kill's health.

As for our fairly anemic offense against becky (great opposing defense, weather, and youth aside), I would rather develop a strong defense first and fill-in the offense second. It seems like Gopher fans have an incredibly short memory regarding the painful offensive-defensive imbalance of Brewster, Mason, and Wacker. Look at Illinois and Indiana - both teams have highly potent offenses early in their coach's stint (2nd year for Beckman, 4th year for Wilson). They obviously developed offense first and are struggling mightily because of essentially nonexistent defense.

At the end of the day, we are 8-3 in Year 3 of the Jerry Kill era. The badgers have been building their program since 1990, when they decided they wanted to be good in football. That's a big advantage, and we still gave them a ballgame with all of their size and talent - ultimately beating ourselves. For the first time in 60+ years, we have the backing of the University with Kahler, the Board of Regents, and Teague all behind Gopher football. Mark my words, Jerry Kill will have a bronze statue outside TCF one day - next to one of Bronko Nagurski holding up the plow.

I disagree with Dienhart as well. What game was he watching? A major reason for our loss that we did not recover even one of the five fumbles in the game and lost all three of our fumbles. You don't beat Wisconsin making that many mistakes, including the several dropped passes.

I wonder how the game turns out if we recover 3 of the 5 fumbles instead of Wisc....

From Dienhard's perspective, his take is legitimate. The Gophers had won 4 games in a row, and were playing at home. I think the play of the offense was disappointing.

For all the people saying "if you take away the fumbles, it would have been closer," - I'm sure the WI fans are saying, "If you take away the pick-6, the Gophers would have been shut out."

The point is, you can't take those plays away. They happened. I'd like to take away my 2 DWI's, but I can't.

That is true, but I think the point is we were just a play or two from being right there or even having the lead late in the game. Not sure how you can say one team had control from start to finish then. That's all.

remember at the beginning of the yr., MSU's D, out scored their offense, we're growing and maturing, Remember how many of you would have been happy at 6-6 in Aug'

Held them to 16.5 under season average and 2 TDs. I'd say success.

As big a fan as I am, optimistic, glass-half-full, and even called Pollyanna, now that the dust has settled, I'm even more disappointed with the wisc game. I believe opportunities present themselves and if you don't seize them they are lost and there is no guarantee they will materialize again. When you have an open receiver, hit him. When you have a chance to beat a team, beat them. We almost made a play. We almost didn't fumble. We almost DIDN'T LOSE. We had the vaunted BADgers down 7-3 with a chance to expand it and didn't make a play, fumbled it away, let the game slip.

I recall the coaches saying they had to convince the kids they were better than they thought they were midway through the season. Then they started winning and lots of things swirled around: the playbook was opened up on offense, the kids were having fun with motion and shifts, inspired to win for Kill, Kill told them to have fun and enjoy the moment, etc. Then, the big game happens, Engel gets hurt, everyone was picking us to get whupped and I think some doubt crept back in. We let a golden opportunity slip away.

It's time to realize we belong. We have enough reasons to go beat Sparty, which may be a very good team, but this is not David and Goliath. Nebraska had five turnovers, for crying out loud, and still almost beat them.

I think this team will be kicking itself when they look back at what might have been. If we play well and get beat, I can accept that. If we don't bring our best, are tentative at all, that will be disappointing.

Top Bottom