BTN's Tom Dienhart: Biggest disappointment: Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart:

Biggest disappointment: Minnesota. I didn’t think the Golden Gophers would win over Wisconsin. But I thought they’d be more competitive. Alas, Minnesota didn’t score an offensive touchdown, as the lone score came on a pick-six. Bottom line: The Badgers had control of this game from start to finish. No way was Minnesota going to out-Wisconsin Wisconsin.

http://btn.com/2013/11/24/toms-take-week-13-grades-honors-stocks/?cmp=user+shared+twitter

Go Gophers!!

Odd comments from my perspective on our game.

But I really laughed at his comments about MSU/Northwestern. Losing Colter obviously hurt Northwestern, but Northwestern's problem all year is that they simply lack physicality and MSU is all of that. Too bad MSU and Wisconsin don't play this year. That would be one heluva collision.

I disagree that Wisconsin was in control all game, considering we were up 7-3 and driving with the ball at one point. And I'd definitely argue Northwestern was more disappointing. Oh well.

I disagree completely as well. Wisconsin is physical and as Kill said yesterday, we stood toe to toe with them all day long. That part of the game was even. Where we lost is they had better skill players than we do. Which we all knew going into the game and it proved itself out. So I don't think we lost trying to outslug Wisconsin. We lost because their better talent at certain positions played to their potential and our lesser talent didn't play above their norm.

Odd comments from my perspective on our game.

But I really laughed at his comments about MSU/Northwestern. Losing Colter obviously hurt Northwestern, but Northwestern's problem all year is that they simply lack physicality and MSU is all of that. Too bad MSU and Wisconsin don't play this year. That would be one heluva collision.

It would probably be a lot like one of the last 3 or 4 games in the series. I think this would be our best defense out of the last 4, but not sure of our offense. Probably more like last year's game. Winning margin would be at most 4 points.

I'm also confused. The Gophers covered the spread, held Wisconsin's explosive offense to fewer points than OSU did, less than 200 yards rushing (ok, with the victory formation losses but we're not the first to see that), and only 2 touchdowns.. with many of their drives starting with excellent field position thanks to fumbles (or the lone good punt return). So many defensive stops (5 total punts, 2 FGs made, with another attempted, and don't forget the 4th down attempt, oh and the interception for TD) so it's not like their lack of yards were only from great field position. To say we were a disappointment after playing them tougher on D than they had seen basically all year (save for maybe the Iowa and OSU games) is laughable.

I disagree completely as well. Wisconsin is physical and as Kill said yesterday, we stood toe to toe with them all day long. That part of the game was even. Where we lost is they had better skill players than we do. Which we all knew going into the game and it proved itself out. So I don't think we lost trying to outslug Wisconsin. We lost because their better talent at certain positions played to their potential and our lesser talent didn't play above their norm.

I agree. We lost because of three things. Inexperience at WR, poor QB play, and turnovers. The great part is those players are all in their 1st and 2nd years of the program.

I disagree with this entirely. I was very pleased with how we played. The only disappointing thing was the dropped passes and turnovers. I think if we had shored those up a little bit it would have been a dog fight in the 4th.

I disagree with Dienhart as well. What game was he watching? A major reason for our loss that we did not recover even one of the five fumbles in the game and lost all three of our fumbles. You don't beat Wisconsin making that many mistakes, including the several dropped passes.

I disagree with Dienhart as well. What game was he watching? A major reason for our loss that we did not recover even one of the five fumbles in the game and lost all three of our fumbles. You don't beat Wisconsin making that many mistakes, including the several dropped passes.

+1

Always disappointed in a loss, but happy with the performance none the less.

He obviously didn't watch the game, just read the box score: lazy 'journalism'.

You had one job!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385392192.055874.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree with this entirely. I was very pleased with how we played. The only disappointing thing was the dropped passes and turnovers. I think if we had shored those up a little bit it would have been a dog fight in the 4th.

Yep. I agree with all of this.

I agree with the sentiment here as well, his take seems ridiculous. The problem is that most of these "analysts" put way too much stock in offense and can't appreciate a good defense. Defense wins championships though and Dienhart is an idiot.

I agree and disagree with Dienhart. Our offense was a huge disappointment, but our defense played very well. The offense was shut out.

Offense being shut out was a huge disappointment from me. An offense being outscored by its own defense is pretty bad. However, I don't feel like we were that far off. If Nelson and receivers make the plays that FBS-level QBs and receivers should be expected to make, we might win this football game.

I agree with the sentiment here as well, his take seems ridiculous. The problem is that most of these "analysts" put way too much stock in offense and can't appreciate a good defense. Defense wins championships though and Dienhart is an idiot.

Can we please put an end to the statement that defense wins championships stated as complete, 100% fact? I agree a great defense is a very important part of the game but a great offense is also required to win championships. Balance wins championships. Alabama, Auburn, Florida have all fielded great offenses and defenses the past few years in winning the NCG.

Agree offense was a big dissapointment. You tell almost any fan wisconsin would end up with 20 points and 99% of people would have picked the Gophers to win that game, IMO...If the offense cant generate 3-4 total scores in the course of a game I would consider it a dissapointment. I did think the D played very well, winning football. I think the lack of big time playmakers on offense makes it tough. Very hard to sustain 8-12 play drives.

Wonder if Dienhart even realizes we lost our best WR to an ACL injury a few days before the game.

Bottom line: The Badgers had control of this game from start to finish.

This just proves he never paid attention to the game. Someone could make the statement that Wisconsin had control of the game in the 2nd half (I don't agree with that either) but I've never heard of a team being in control when losing which was the case with just over 3 minutes left in the first half.

Not recovering one of five fumbles, losing all three fumbles, dropped passes, too many mistakes....sounds like you are in complete agreement with Dienhart. Disappointing.

Can't really agree with Dienhart here because, quite honestly, I thought we matched up horribly with the Badgers headed into the game. But I was pleasantly surprised at how well the defense held up against a very talented offensive team. They gave us a good chance, and that was good to see. And while the offense struggled, it was more a question of execution that hurt us imo. Plays were there to be made and weren't. Would liked to have seen what would have happened without all the overthrows, drops and fumbles. Make some of those plays and we're right there. It was just one of those days where things didn't work out. Physically however, I thought we matched up quite well, which bodes well for the future imo.

Not recovering one of five fumbles, losing all three fumbles, dropped passes, too many mistakes....sounds like you are in complete agreement with Dienhart. Disappointing.

The offensive fumbles were disappointing, but the fumbles we didn't recover were kinda just bad luck. Certainly had not chance of recovering the Gordon one. Just bad luck there. That ball could have easily bounced a different way and we recover it.

Can we please put an end to the statement that defense wins championships stated as complete, 100% fact? I agree a great defense is a very important part of the game but a great offense is also required to win championships. Balance wins championships. Alabama, Auburn, Florida have all fielded great offenses and defenses the past few years in winning the NCG.

Defense wins championships.

per Dienhart:

Biggest disappointment: Minnesota. I didn’t think the Golden Gophers would win over Wisconsin. But I thought they’d be more competitive. Alas, Minnesota didn’t score an offensive touchdown, as the lone score came on a pick-six. Bottom line: The Badgers had control of this game from start to finish. No way was Minnesota going to out-Wisconsin Wisconsin.

http://btn.com/2013/11/24/toms-take-week-13-grades-honors-stocks/?cmp=user+shared+twitter

Go Gophers!!

I'd guess he didn't watch much, if any of the game besides some highlights and looked at the box score. Typical garbage.

From Dienhard's perspective, his take is legitimate. The Gophers had won 4 games in a row, and were playing at home. I think the play of the offense was disappointing.

For all the people saying "if you take away the fumbles, it would have been closer," - I'm sure the WI fans are saying, "If you take away the pick-6, the Gophers would have been shut out."

The point is, you can't take those plays away. They happened. I'd like to take away my 2 DWI's, but I can't.

The only way Dienhart went wrong was having higher expectations for the Gophers than many of the posters in this thread. Their low bar for Gophers football is one of the reasons the team hasn't won a Big 10 Championship since 1967. Giving a pass to a team that scores exactly no offensive points in their home stadium, turns over the football three times, and has over twice as many penalties as their opponent is pathetic.

The only way Dienhart went wrong was having higher expectations for the Gophers than many of the posters in this thread. Their low bar for Gophers football is one of the reasons the team hasn't won a Big 10 Championship since 1967. Giving a pass to a team that scores exactly no offensive points in their home stadium, turns over the football three times, and has over twice as many penalties as their opponent is pathetic.

I will work twice as hard this off season to fix this!

I have not noticed anyone saying the offense played well. Common theme has been the offense played like garbage on Saturday and the lack of playmakers was very evident. So what are we as fans supposed to do? Do we demand the offensive coaching staff gets fired?. Do we call for Nelson to get benched even though he was a big part of the winning streak? Do we bench every running back that fumbled even though their ball security over the winning streak was awesome?

It is clear we have an offense short on playmakers. If at the end of next season we are still trying to identify the playmakers that could spell some trouble for the coaching staff but as it stands right now we were beaten by a very good team, it is what it is.

70% of the gopher fans on this board picked the Gophers to win on the poll posted here...;)

Top Bottom