BTN strikes again: No TV on Saturday

Hey Barn....please go join jmarksor from Florida on your constant arguing. Get a life, get a job, add something to the conversation besides arguments. I thought you were a decent, fun to read commentor on all of the GopherHole comments, but I was wrong. Suck an egg!!!!!!!!

Not all of the home games were televised last year either. There was one Gopher game this year that was not televised and I checked BTN and they were carrying repeating episodes of Big Ten Tonight-their version of Sportscenter. It would make more sense to televise all the basketball games than to carry hockey-which is not even a Big Ten sport. It get's very frustrating.

Please no dumb ass comments from FTB.

From The Barn

Speaking of reading comprehension, my point was if you can go to the game, then go. You will notice that the person to whom my comment was directed had tickets, game them away, and then complained that they weren't able to go. Those with legitimate reasons for not attending have a right to complain, others not so much.

And just for kicks, guess my income, expenses, family, any health issues I may have, how far away I live, previous commitments I have, race, ethnicity, etc.

Sex: Male
Race: Caucasian
Income: $60,000-$75,000
Family: Married, 1 child
Health issues: None
Residence: Suburbs

How did I do?

I tried this, and it doesn't work. I also tried a bunch of various other workarounds posted online from around 2006-2007 and nothing worked. It appears ESPN has figured out the kinks.

However, if you have an active university or military IP, you can still get ESPN 360!!!

You may say, "well that's great for kids in the dorms or people on military bases because their internet provider is through the university but I don't, so I'm screwed." NOT NECESSARILY.

MOST universities have VPN, short for virtual private network. What that does is it creates a secure connection between your home computer and the larger network at the university for various academic uses.

The great part about VPN is that when it is enabled on your computer, it appears to outside sources that your internet provider is the larger network that you are connected to, which happens to be the university! And as previously stated, ESPN 360 is available to all university IPs.

So the next question is, how do I get hooked up with the VPN from my school? Well this part will likely leave some people out. As far as I can tell, you can get your school's VPN as long as you still have an ACTIVE, VALID EMAIL ADDRESS from that school.

Here is the U of M site on their VPN client: http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/help/vpn/

So those of you with UMN email addresses, be it student, faculty, anybody, download the VPN client from the linked site.

Once you have downloaded it, all you have to do is click on the program and log in with whatever you set as your username etc. It wont appear to have done anything to your computer, but you will be connected. Then just go to the ESPN 360 site and you will be golden!!!!

Those of you without UMN emails but went to another university or college and still have a valid email from there, I suggest you just google whatever your school's name is and "vpn." It will likely come up right away.

This isn't all smoke either...I just tried it and it works perfectly. Good luck! Any questions feel free to post in this thread and I will try to answer them.

There is also something called "Tor" which looks promising as well.

And just for kicks, guess my income, expenses, family, any health issues I may have, how far away I live, previous commitments I have, race, ethnicity, etc.

Income: Over 1 million dollars annually with incentives
Expenses: A charitable organization you founded yourself in 1987
Family: Wife and 3 sons
Race: African American

Am I close?

Here's the BTN's answer on televising games

Each week, Big Ten Insider will answer a frequently asked question. We kick off this recurring feature by answering the two questions we are receiving most.

Q: Why doesn't the Big Ten Network televise every Big Ten men's basketball game?

A: There are several contributing factors. In college athletics, the home team or home conference holds the television rights to its events. The Big Ten Conference only holds the rights to events hosted by a Big Ten university. When a Big Ten team plays a non-conference road game, the hosting university, conference or tournament organizer holds the television rights for those games and thus decisions already have been made regarding how those games are televised.

For basketball, the Big Ten has divided its television rights among the Big Ten Network, CBS and the various ESPN networks. The Big Ten Network will televise more basketball games than any other network and the Big Ten's television partners will combine to nationally televise more than 200 Big Ten men's basketball games this season. No conference will have more games televised nationally than the Big Ten.

Q: Why doesn't the Big Ten Network have overflow channels for basketball? [I have DISH/DIRECTV, and my online channel guide always lists Big Ten Network alternates.]

A: The overflow channels are only available to the network during the 13 football Saturdays of the season, which are finite windows during a time when there are few other sports taking place. The non-conference basketball season overlaps with many other sports, and so NHL, NBA and other regional football and basketball games are also taking place on the weekend and on weekday nights when basketball games air.

During the conference season, the Big Ten schedules games in such a way where there is no overlap. Consequently, there is no need for overflow channels during the conference schedule.

DISH Network changes its on-screen channel guide template infrequently, and so the alternate channels are listed, even though they are not available to us except during the football season. DIRECTV will change their template this week to remove the Big Ten Network alternate channels from the on-screen guide.

How the heck is this game not on TV? I understand road games not being on, but home games? I thought that was the point of the BTN? Not only do we get the world's worst announcing teams, but now we can't even watch the games? I see that two more nonconference games are on ESPNU, which very few of us get. What an absolute joke.

Iowa fans were complaining about the same thing (home games not on BTN) on their Rivals board. So at least it's not just us.

By the way, has the womens Gopher team been on BTN yet? What's up, BTN?

This is ridiculous -- I was really looking forward to watching the game tomorrow and it is almost impossible to see a game on anymore.

And I am sure there will probably be about 20 games on TV that I DON'T want to see - like Canisius vs. SW Missouri St. and Fordham vs. Maine or something stupid like that.

If we can't even see the Gophers on TV anymore, then the Big Ten Network is pretty worthless in my opinion.

Top Bottom