BTN Announces Big Ten All-Decade Hoops Team (Murph 3rd Team)

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
BTN announcing it's Big Ten All-Decade basketball team, starting today with the Third Team, which includes Jordan Murphy. The same Jordan Murphy who is second in the history of the conference in rebounding. Damn, imagine the career achievements of the 10 guys ahead of him!

If Murph is 3rd team, I highly doubt there will be any other Gophers on the list.

Good for Murph! Omnipresent focus, that man. Deserves to be on that list, and deserves a higher place. ...Would love to grab a whiskey/beer with him sometime.

Based on who is has been announced as 2nd & 3rd team, I am trying to piece together who is on the 1st Team. I would guess Frank Kaminsky (WI), Denzel Valentine (MSU), Draymond Green (MSU) & Trey Burke (MI) but I am struggling to think of a 5th player without going to the Google.

Garza?

Last edited:

Will be interesting on the coaches pick. Izzo seems obvious.

Will be interesting on the coaches pick. Izzo seems obvious.

Not obviously Izzo in my opinion. Was he even the best in his state?

I know you value Regular Season success more, but John Beilein got to the NCAA Final twice in the decade. Also had an amazing run of winning 10 straight Big 10 Tourney Games which included 2 titles and a runner-up. Most impressively was the coaching job he did with the 2016-17 team after skidding off the airport runway. He would get my vote.

Izzo did have 4 Regular Season titles to Beilein's 2.

Last edited:

Based on who is has been announced as 2nd & 3rd team, I am trying to piece together who is on the 1st Team. I would guess Frank Kaminsky (WI), Denzel Valentine (MSU), Draymond Green (MSU) & Trey Burke (MI) but I am struggling to think of a 5th player without going to the Google.

Garza?
Evan Turner?

Not obviously Izzo in my opinion. Was he even the best in his state?

I know you value Regular Season success more, but John Beilein got to the NCAA Final twice in the decade. Also had an amazing run of winning 10 straight Big 10 Tourney Games which included 2 titles and a runner-up. Most impressively was the coaching job he did with the 2016-17 team after skidding off the airport runway. He would get my vote.

Izzo did have 4 Regular Season titles to Beilein's 2.
I place more importance on regular season than elite 8's. Final 4's are close, NCAA titles the most. Excellent choice or suggestion in Beilein. Izzo did win 20 more conference games over the 9 years they were both in the decade.

Evan Turner?
Only had half a season in the decade. I would say d'angelo russell, Jared sullinger, or caleb swanigan. I cant open the link and see who has already made the cut.

Edit- nevermind I see sullinger is 2nd team and caleb and Russell(should have been at least 2nd team) are 3rd team

Last edited:

Only had half a season in the decade. I would say d'angelo russell, Jared sullinger, or caleb swanigan. I cant open the link and see who has already made the cut.

Edit- nevermind I see sullinger is 2nd team and caleb and Russell(should have been at least 2nd team) are 3rd team

If they go just from 2010-19, I wonder if Garza even gets credit for being 2019-20 POY. Or maybe they are counting full seasons that started in the 10s.

I was wondering same thing involving him and turner. Turner had an amazing junior season which was 2009-2010.

It was Minnesota Timberwolf legend, Evan Turner/OSU, to go along with the other 4 I had thought. Nice work SS. I guess Luka Garza/Iowa will have to wait until June 2030 to get his props.

I place more importance on regular season than elite 8's. Final 4's are close, NCAA titles the most. Excellent choice or suggestion in Beilein. Izzo did win 20 more conference games over the 9 years they were both in the decade.

Izzo got the nod. Dave Revsine indicated his vote came down to the 2 coaches we anticipated. The edge was his consistency. Who knows, maybe it was close enough if Beilein could have pulled of the BTT 3-peat, that he would have won.

No problem with it.

Izzo got the nod. Dave Revsine indicated his vote came down to the 2 coaches we anticipated. The edge was his consistency. Who knows, maybe it was close enough if Beilein could have pulled of the BTT 3-peat, that he would have won.

No problem with it.

That's the right call. Difficult to beat that resume over the decade.

That's the right call. Difficult to beat that resume over the decade.

I get it, but I also look at it from the landscape of the Michigan & Michigan St programs when the 2010s started. Beilein was starting his 3rd season and the Wolverines had been middling at best during the 00s. To get that program to be anywhere near level with the Spartans, I would have thought to be near impossible. Also was there even a whisper of any kind with off the court issues?

Izzo on the other hand was coming off a National Title game appearance in 2009. As good as the program was in the 10s, it was actually better in the 00s. Tough to penalize him though for past success.

Just my opinion.

Just think, the highest rated guy on the first team was Turner at 47. The only one close to that top 50 that fans covet so much. Two were rated past 100 with Frank K at 242 ! All he did was become conference player of the decade and national player of the year.

Top Bottom