BSF

Again, so many hot takes. Hard to get open when asked to stay in and basically function as an additional lineman.

Staff has to get a tiny bit creative to get him open in space. They did it at Wisconsin last year. Kill had a play where the TE did a chip block and released. It was good for 7-10 yards almost every time.

Looks like he's lost a step and using one of my favorite terms, ham-handed. Something is wrong.

That said, Spann-Ford looked like a Day 2 pick last year, but he's looking more like a late-round guy now for some reason. Scheme? Different QB?
It seems pretty clear to me that they play of all the tight ends has been lacking. I'm not knowledgeable enough to weigh in how much of a difference it has made, but in the off-season Fleck hired Kent State offensive coordinator Andrew Sowder as the new Tight Ends Coach. I recall at the time that it was portrayed as a coup and an opportunity to bring in a guy with some innovative thoughts on how to run an offense. Ryan Burns has reported that Offensive Quality Control Coach Brian Sheehan (from Hamline) is now working with the tight ends and that Sowder hasn't been visible. When asked about it, Fleck said that everyone was still on staff, but that they had "moved some things around."

1 catch for 3 yards yesterday, Kallerup had 1 for 5yd. All the rest of the catches were to wideouts. AK had two additional attempts incomplete, one targeted Jackson and the other was the pick (don't recall who was targeted).
If we had thrown more than 14 times, there might have been more TE targets (?).

Maybe? But they also stayed in to block a fair amount?

Possibly part of the reason BSF has been asked to bulk up?

Maybe he has a future in the league as an OL?? Crazier things have happened, if he can improve his blocking.

Maybe he has a future in the league as an OL?? Crazier things have happened, if he can improve his blocking.
He has no future in the league if this is the scenario.

I don't think he bulked up? Went from 260 to 270 between first and second years, and stayed there since. Fleck has always had the TE stay in and block, but with BSFs size and skillset, I'm pretty sure Fleck has talked about using him more as a receiver...because he's a mismatch pretty much everywhere. I really thought we'd see a continuation of last year, and the Wisc game in particular.

Last edited:

He was over hyped from day one. Great height and did a few fun hurdles. When he was a freshman and lighter it was clear he was not fast or get open like good tight ends do. They have him split and run wide receiver routes on 3rd and long so the coaches have given this guy a lot of opportunities. Now this year he cannot catch passes thrown from the new QB. Leads to poor tight end play in 2023.

He was over hyped from day one. Great height and did a few fun hurdles. When he was a freshman and lighter it was clear he was not fast or get open like good tight ends do. They have him split and run wide receiver routes on 3rd and long so the coaches have given this guy a lot of opportunities. Now this year he cannot catch passes thrown from the new QB. Leads to poor tight end play in 2023.
Interesting take. He's gained maybe 10 lbs after his first year. Seemed fine getting open and catching balls the last two years when they threw to him. His 40 time is about what Gronk's was. It's clear to me that they have not run plays to feature him this season as of yet.

Top Bottom