Bryce Williams fullback?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Noticed a couple times they had Bryce out there with another RB. He caught a nice pass out of the backfield once, and I'm pretty sure he both carried the ball and was a lead blocker.

Are they going to try to bulk him up and have him be similar to CJ Ham? Or was this just a weird thing because so many TE's were out?

I like the move, if it's actually a thing. No offense to him, but he has clearly been passed up on the depth chart for RB's and with Ky Thomas it won't get any easier even if Mo were to leave.

He had a couple of nice runs. Was it Bryce that caught the screen but didn't turn it up field though with his blockers? That was a play that I'm sure will get corrected in the film room.

Could be totally wrong on the FB bit of it. Could be that they're just experimenting with formations having two true RB's in the backfield.

Not something you see often in modern football, outside of teams that still run the triple-option.

Liked the formation a lot. Bryce is a good athlete, but it's become clear he's limited as a running in an inside zone scheme (all you Williams fans, please don't kill me for that). As OP said, he's been passed on the depth chart, but he's still a big kid and good athlete who can catch the ball and occasionally rip off a nice run on outside zone. I like that they found a package for him of 8 - 10 plays to keep him involved but not take a lot of carries away from Ibrahim or Potts.

I am wondering about the status of Jason Williamson. This guy really had me excited to see him play for the gophers coming out of Owatonna. Had ridiculous stats in high school. Injured as a freshman took that first year away. Now is listed at 6-2 and 220 pounds, and assuming he still has great speed - why are we not seeing this guy on the field? If not at running back, should they not find a spot for this athlete to play?

I am wondering about the status of Jason Williamson. This guy really had me excited to see him play for the gophers coming out of Owatonna. Had ridiculous stats in high school. Injured as a freshman took that first year away. Now is listed at 6-2 and 220 pounds, and assuming he still has great speed - why are we not seeing this guy on the field? If not at running back, should they not find a spot for this athlete to play?

There are plenty of guys as athletic as him on the roster. He may be better served trying to play on the other side of the ball. Maybe as a linebacker or safety? I believe he played defense in high school.

As far as running backs go--that is a strong room and will remain strong. Getting hurt took a year from him, may need more time to get back into form.

JW may be someone they'd used in multiple positions. As an LB or spot RB. Patience and selflessness good virtues.

He was a great athlete in HS. At college level, the game is faster and you are competing against equally good or better athletes. An injury like the type that he got set him back. If he keeps working hard, a just reward will come IMHO.

It is unthinkable that David Cobb almost transferred. Patience paid off after Kirkwood went down with an injury. He never looked back. He made good use of his chance by being ready to lock and load.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Williamson had another foot injury this year. Not sure of his status right now though.

I believe this is true. He is also 19/20 coming off of a torn ACL. I probably wouldn't have played him much this year either. I believe it's 25% of people who return from ACL injury reinjure their other ACL during the first season they return.

He'll be a FR again next season and he is 6'2" 220 lbs and can run. We'll find a spot for him.

Thomas Tapeh will always be my favorite Gophers FB.

Maroney, Barber, and Tapeh...with Eslinger at center...Utecht at TE...and that OL...that was some fine offensive football.

I'd be glad to see Coach Fleck and the OC bring those days back along with a competent QB and passing game.

Offense would not be the issue.

Okay, so I got the Owatonna RB scoop...why hasn’t Ky Thomas seen the field?
I don’t see the talent you guys see backing up Mo.

I don't think our next starting RB is playing this year.

Another poster claimed that Ky had shoulder surgery this year and so wasn’t available this season.

I think JW will get time at RB and in future years on the defensive side.
Could be a LB or safety perhaps. All depends on his speed.

I liked the dual set backfield. I thought Bryce Williams did a nice job catching the ball. I saw him also get put out as a receiver on another play. Having a good receiving option (especially a guy who can catch on the move) is something really good to have.

Thomas Tapeh will always be my favorite Gophers FB.

Maroney, Barber, and Tapeh...with Eslinger at center...Utecht at TE...and that OL...that was some fine offensive football.

I'd be glad to see Coach Fleck and the OC bring those days back along with a competent QB and passing game.

Offense would not be the issue.
I would go back to the 70s gopher teams to find the best fullbacks - that would be Kent Kitzman and then Gary White. I think Gary White and the original Marion Barber form the best backfield duo in my time of watching the rodents.

The beauty is that Mo still had another 1-2 years of eligibility left. Likely 1.

I love we’re excited about the 5-6th RB’s on the roster.

I would go back to the 70s gopher teams to find the best fullbacks - that would be Kent Kitzman and then Gary White. I think Gary White and the original Marion Barber form the best backfield duo in my time of watching the rodents.
You're speaking my language.

Kent Kitzman was the entire backfield by himself.

I’m bewildered why people can’t see the talent in Wiley and Potts. They’ve combine for 378 yards on 61 career carries. That’s over 6 ypc.

Occasional two-back set with two TEs and a WR? New wrinkle from Sanford?

I’m bewildered why people can’t see the talent in Wiley and Potts. They’ve combine for 378 yards on 61 career carries. That’s over 6 ypc.
I see it with Potts. To me Wiley just doesn’t run like a running back. He’s tall and lanky. Hopefully he surprises me in coming years.

I see it with Potts. To me Wiley just doesn’t run like a running back. He’s tall and lanky. Hopefully he surprises me in coming years.
He looks pretty much the same as any other 6’2” rb, doesn’t seem any more upright than Steven Jackson who was also 6’2”. I think adding some bulk would definitely benefit him. Jackson was like 240.

Thanks BB for expanding my knowledge. My personal fan history did not begin until 1997. I now have some homework.:)

He looks pretty much the same as any other 6’2” rb, doesn’t seem any more upright than Steven Jackson who was also 6’2”. I think adding some bulk would definitely benefit him. Jackson was like 240.

I love posts like this because I learn something. Wish there were more like this.

You can really start arguments on best backfields and the like. Maroney/Barber3/Tapeh was probably best 3. Barber2 and White was pretty comparabel to Barber3/Maroney. Our best RB ever was probably Rick Upchurch from a little earlier in the 1970s. But look up Kitzmann. He carried like 57 times for 266 yards in a game against Illinois. Be kind of fun to see Ibrahim do that against Sconny.....

Top Bottom