Bryant Allen Question

CDH27

Reaction score
With the Nolan news breaking today there has been speculation that Allen may get some minutes during the rest of the season. Has anyone actually seen him play in practice? If so, how has he looked? He obviously had a very solid HS career, but it is not always easy to project how that transfers to Big 10 basketball, especially since he was focusing on football during the fall.

I'm curious how STL Player of the Year will correlate to Big Ten also. Until someone reports how hes doing in practice or we see him in a game, there are some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ovN5JpBcKk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvateImn4oY

"That's what he's capable of doing," Maplewood coach Corey Frazier said. "If you want to be a (Division I college) prospect, you have to start demanding the ball a little bit more and that's what he did."

Allen finished with a game-high 30 points. He hit four 3-pointers and went nine for nine from the free throw line, with eight of those in the fourth quarter.

"They were getting the momentum," Allen said. "My job as team captain is to slow the game down so we can break their momentum and get it back for us.

I hope he gets a few minutes this weekend, I'm excited to see what he can do.

I'm curious how STL Player of the Year will correlate to Big Ten also. Until someone reports how hes doing in practice or we see him in a game, there are some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ovN5JpBcKk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvateImn4oY

"That's what he's capable of doing," Maplewood coach Corey Frazier said. "If you want to be a (Division I college) prospect, you have to start demanding the ball a little bit more and that's what he did."

Allen finished with a game-high 30 points. He hit four 3-pointers and went nine for nine from the free throw line, with eight of those in the fourth quarter.

"They were getting the momentum," Allen said. "My job as team captain is to slow the game down so we can break their momentum and get it back for us.

Thanks for the videos. I've seen some of this before but it's fun to watch. It's obvious the kid is a natural at whatever he does. He's got a great stroke and does things with ease. It's a stretch to think he can jump in right away but I think he can help as the season goes on. We are lucky to have him at this point.

Gopher season Sabrmetric projection with Allen at PG = 632-0 (National Champs)

Add in Royce White and we win the NBA title too.

It's really just that simple.

Allen isn't even listed on the roster right now. I highly doubt we see him play Saturday.

What I'm truly amazed by is there are actually folks who think a guy who hasn't played organized basketball since (I'm assuming) March (high school), who in the meantime has been playing major college football, has not been practicing basketball, is going to step right in and help us immediately vs. Big Ten competition? Now if it were the part of the season when we're playing the cupcakes Tubby likes to schedule at home, that would be different, but we're talking about well-oiled Big 10 teams who have been going at it since mid-October. Stepping right in will be hard enough for a Royce White to do, one of the top recruits in the country, let alone Bryant Allen.

Yes, by all means, let's suit him up and throw him to the wolves (starting with Michigan State). That's a great plan. I'm sure he won't miss a beat (tongue firmly in cheek).

What I'm truly amazed by is there are actually folks who think a guy who hasn't played organized basketball since (I'm assuming) March (high school), who in the meantime has been playing major college football, has not been practicing basketball, is going to step right in and help us immediately vs. Big Ten competition? Now if it were the part of the season when we're playing the cupcakes Tubby likes to schedule at home, that would be different, but we're talking about well-oiled Big 10 teams who have been going at it since mid-October. Stepping right in will be hard enough for a Royce White to do, one of the top recruits in the country, let alone Bryant Allen.

Yes, by all means, let's suit him up and throw him to the wolves (starting with Michigan State). That's a great plan. I'm sure he won't miss a beat (tongue firmly in cheek).

What is usually better the ACC or the Big Ten???? Peppers did it, Curry did it, so why can't Allen do it. I love how you think that Allen is so bad, your agenda is so obvious.

Who said that? I doubt he plays against MSU but I could see a possibility for a few minutes if the situation is right. Beyond that this isn't the Bo Ryan offense or the triangle offense he is stepping into.........and this kid has some ability to shoot the rock and has great quickness. If a guy can stand there in front of 50,000 people and return punts as a pure frosh I think he can also perform on a limited basis on the basketball court. It's far, far from ideal but stranger things have happened. This would be unusual but certainly not unprecedented in college buckets. Charlie Ward, Dave Winfield, Quinn Buckner, Peppers and scores of others have done it with varying degrees of success. Walt Bowser and Tony Dungy may be more down to earth Gopher examples. What was the name of the six-six kid that came in and played center for Monson a few years back and played osme inspired defense and hit the boards?

What is usually better the ACC or the Big Ten???? Peppers did it, Curry did it, so why can't Allen do it. I love how you think that Allen is so bad, your agenda is so obvious.

Brew - I agree with you somewhat but I don't think SS has any "agenda".

Sorry I must not be very bright, I don't see the obvious agenda?

Pepper stats as at North Carolina

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
2000-01 25 17.6 7.1 64.3 0.0 67.1 0.8 4.0 0.2 0.5
1999-00 31 15.8 4.5 57.1 0.0 59.6 0.3 3.5 0.5 0.6
Career 56 16.6 5.7 60.7 0 64.2 0.5 3.7 0.4 0.6

So one of the best college athletes of all time, averaged 7 point and 4 rebounds a game in his 3rd year on campus, it seems that expecting a guy (who I like by the way) who returned punts and had spot duty at receiver as a true freshman to make a big splash on a big ten basketball team is silly at best.

Do I have an agenda too?

What was the name of the six-six kid that came in and played center for Monson a few years back and played osme inspired defense and hit the boards?

Aliou Kane?

Curry and Peppers

Are you saying Allen is that good? Are you gauranteeing that he will be a first round NFL pick? Did he light it up on the football field so much that you were blown away by his freakish athletic skill? For every player like those two there are a dozen who talk about playing both sports but don't have an impact.

Even Antwaan Randle El, a stunning athlete, eventually dropped basketball while at IU.

I guess I can only speak for myself, but it's more that I would like to see him get a chance at some point than that I expect to see him play. If Nolen is out for the entire season, I don't see why Allen shouldn't get a chance provided there's the right game and time to play him. Even though Allen hasn't been part of the team or playing all that much basketball this year, if we're up by a lot against say Iowa, I don't see the need to play Cobbs and Joseph 30 min each (Cobbs 30 at pg, Joseph 20 at sg and 10 at pg). Even if Allen doesn't do all that well, it wouldn't hurt the team, it wouldn't be unfair to Joseph and Cobbs if they're already logging a ton of minutes, and it doesn't hurt to see what he can do out there when we haven't exactly gotten great production from Cobbs and Devoe at pg this season. Plus, there's always the chance of foul trouble or an injury or who knows what.

I'd be thrilled if Allen gave us a Ronald Curry-type contribution. Curry wasn't great for the Tar Heels, but he was serviceable. Huge difference between the two situations. ... I doubt Curry joined the basketball program in late January. Quite a jump going from not practicing to taking on Big 10 competition.

I have no problem with Allen joining the team. It certainly can't hurt given our current situation. But expecting him to be a significant contributor? If this season Allen turns out to be the next Charlie Ward, or even Curry, feel free to point that out to me in a month or two. I've been wrong many times before.

I'd be thrilled if Allen gave us a Ronald Curry-type contribution. Curry wasn't great for the Tar Heels, but he was serviceable. Huge difference between the two situations. ... I doubt Curry joined the basketball program in late January. Quite a jump going from not practicing to taking on Big 10 competition.

I have no problem with Allen joining the team. It certainly can't hurt given our current situation. But expecting him to be a significant contributor? If this season Allen turns out to be the next Charlie Ward, or even Curry, feel free to point that out to me in a month or two. I've been wrong many times before.

SS, unless I missed it, I don't think anyone said he is going to be a significant contributor, we are just excited to see him play.

Well ... I was at the U when Behagen & Taylor got booted and the Gophers turned to a guy who had been playing intramural hoops. IIRC, that guy moved into the starting lineup and the Gophers ended up winning the Big Ten.

From what i see, allen is a good shooter and good in transition. I think if we can get another good shooter on the floor, it could give Hoffarber more open looks. But i agree that he may not be ready for the Big Ten teams....but it couldnt hurt to give him a try with where we are right now....

Top Bottom