Bryant Allen breaks state 300 hurdles record for 2nd consecutive day

Next on his list: Solving global warming, catching Bin Laden, and setting me up with anjolina jolie.

Love it. Hopefully he'll be hurdling over defenders and using that speed to stomp Syracuse in a few months.

I'm really excited to see this guys play football at the U (and basketball for that matter).

We need athletes. More specifically athletes who are good football players. Young Mr. Allen could be one.

I don't want to rain on the parade

Any distance beyond 100 yards does not translate well to the explosion needed on the football field. If he was running 110 high hurdles, we would have a better guage. The longer distance lenghtens muscles and denies quick twitch muscles needed. The best at this disance was Edwin Moses. And he was an athelete beyond compare, but not a football player. The forty is the better guage of exlosion, but 10 yards is the best.

Any distance beyond 100 yards does not translate well to the explosion needed on the football field. If he was running 110 high hurdles, we would have a better guage. The longer distance lenghtens muscles and denies quick twitch muscles needed. The best at this disance was Edwin Moses. And he was an athelete beyond compare, but not a football player. The forty is the better guage of exlosion, but 10 yards is the best.

Anyone who is good in the hurdles has good explosion. JMO

Also, Maplewood senior Bryant Allen broke the Class 2 300 hurdles state record for the second consecutive day, winning the race on Saturday with a 38.23, beating Friday's preliminary run of 38.95.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20090524/SPORTS01/905240359/Conway+s+Bailey+repeat+champ

Go Gophers!!

This is great news! By being proficient at the 300 meter hurdles, it means he is already in very good shape. Looks at Husker( I kid Husker, I kid). It also spells out that he has very good coordination even when fatigued. Trust me those last two hurdles are not nice. I know that back in the day, one of the tests coaches used to do for all of the skill players and dbs was to run multiple 400's under 60 seconds with walks or jogs , of the same distance, in between. This is a good test for wrs and dbs because it usually means that you can handle running route after route, or coverage after coverage and not be gasping for air every play.

being a track coach, i will say that at the times he's running at, everything you said does not apply.

IMHO any race 800 meters or longer doesn't translate to the football field. The 300 hurdles or the 400 open are a sprint just not at 100%.
________
Renix

Hey the bottom line that I get out of all of this is that Bryant Allen is Fast. All I have to do to get excited about how his time translates on to the football field is watch his highlight reel... Maybe you should take a look.

How timely. For those of you who don't know who Boyd is he has this website. http://www.boydepley.com/ just go to huskerpower.

But then the interview, pay close attention to what he says about running and football. http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10637561

Again what are the Gopher 10 yard times, bench press, squats

It's very interesting what he is saying. I've been trying like a son of a gun to track down the origins of this idea. Because almost always the data is being used incorrectly when you find these gems. The idea that endurance training may not benefit 'twitch' isn't new, and my experience tends to support that, sort of, but the notion that it's actually bad from a training standpoint? That I need to look deeper for. Certainly fatigue issues will be apparent after an endurance workout, but a lingering negative effect??

The closest I've come is work done by him showing benefits of strength training for endurance athletes, and that resistence training should be done in place of some endurance and not as a supplement to it or because of fatigue you may negate the gains or even get a negative net. but I've got to wonder if this research hasn't been turned on its head to produce an unintended conclusion. And certainly with Haff's background you'd have to imagine he's done extensive work in the area of 'twitch'. so you'd think a more direct study would be out there.

But this original research done by Haff has eluded my google searches. If you find it let me know, I want to read it.
TY

Amen!

Hey the bottom line that I get out of all of this is that Bryant Allen is Fast. All I have to do to get excited about how his time translates on to the football field is watch his highlight reel... Maybe you should take a look.

Amen. I've seen many successful football players do well in multiple sprint events. A receiver (or db) needs a combo of speed and endurance. Especially in the fourth quarter when he needs to be mentally sharp and have the endurance to still run routes like he did in the first quarter.

We can debate the merits of longer range sprints and football all day long, but if Allen can run routes all game long and not wilt from fatigue, it certainly cannot hurt.

All-time state record

Although Allen's time in the 300 hurdles is a good time, there have been at least 15 runners who have posted better times than him in the other Missouri state classes. Missouri has 4 classes in track and Allen's school competes in Class 1, which is the class for the smallest school.

The link below shows the year-by-year results and you can see from the larger classes how many times the winner in the state title has performed better than Allen's time of around 38:25.

http://www.mshsaa.org/resources/pdf/Past Boys Champions by Event.pdf

Although Allen's time in the 300 hurdles is a good time, there have been at least 15 runners who have posted better times than him in the other Missouri state classes. Missouri has 4 classes in track and Allen's school competes in Class 1, which is the class for the smallest school.

The link below shows the year-by-year results and you can see from the larger classes how many times the winner in the state title has performed better than Allen's time of around 38:25.

http://www.mshsaa.org/resources/pdf/Past Boys Champions by Event.pdf

I didn't want to go there but so have other Minnesotans. http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/records.asp?actnum=422 I didn't track down any of this years results, but I knew they had in the past.

My point was and is that It is impressive that Allen could post such a time in the hurdles and that IMO it could only help him in football. His achievements in football, basketball, and track only continue to affirm that he is a very gifted HS athlete. My hope is that he will continue to improve while in college and have even greater successes as a Gopher.

It's very interesting what he is saying. I've been trying like a son of a gun to track down the origins of this idea. Because almost always the data is being used incorrectly when you find these gems. The idea that endurance training may not benefit 'twitch' isn't new, and my experience tends to support that, sort of, but the notion that it's actually bad from a training standpoint? That I need to look deeper for. Certainly fatigue issues will be apparent after an endurance workout, but a lingering negative effect??

The closest I've come is work done by him showing benefits of strength training for endurance athletes, and that resistence training should be done in place of some endurance and not as a supplement to it or because of fatigue you may negate the gains or even get a negative net. but I've got to wonder if this research hasn't been turned on its head to produce an unintended conclusion. And certainly with Haff's background you'd have to imagine he's done extensive work in the area of 'twitch'. so you'd think a more direct study would be out there.

But this original research done by Haff has eluded my google searches. If you find it let me know, I want to read it.
TY

Well I went straight to the source. His work says that endurance training (like going out for a run, adding a two mile run to training etc.) is counter productive for power sports. Here's his response as it pertains to track and football:

"Now to clarify things, I never stated that track is bad for sports preparation, in fact Track is an excellent training tool for football, basketball and other anaerobic sports (I am married to a track coach and truly have an understanding of the sport as I also was a sprinter/thrower in college). The training undertaken by sprinters (upto 400 meters), jumpers, and throwers which utilizes anaerobic interval training coupled with appropriate resistance training has a complimentary bioenergetic profile for most anaerobic sports. If you watched the last Olympic Trials most of the best sprinters were also football players at their respective Universities."

Here's the basis for Boyd's interview if I read the email correctly:

"Long distance running or aerobic work is truly a bad thing for the strength power athlete. Looking at work from Ball State's lab it can clearly be seen that their is a fiber type shift in response to distance running one in which type II fibers are decreased in size and quantity, while type I fibers size and quantity are increased - which truly will result in a decreased ability to generate force. Couple this with data from contemporary cell signaling work in which endurance (aerobic training) results in a cascade of events that results in an inability to increase muscular size as a result of a shift toward mitochondrial biogenesis it is very clear that aerobic work is not a good thing for anaerobic athletes. This is not a new thing, Mike Stone first talked about this in the early 80's and I believe after talking with Boyd this is where he first started to think about how he conditioned his football players a Nebraska."

Of course none of this really addresses the underlying question of whether great track speed is an indicator of potential football achievement. I think we can put to rest the notion that it's useless or that there is no correlation. But for sure we can eliminate that there is a negative correlation.

How timely. For those of you who don't know who Boyd is he has this website. http://www.boydepley.com/ just go to huskerpower.

But then the interview, pay close attention to what he says about running and football. http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10637561

Again what are the Gopher 10 yard times, bench press, squats

By your thinking, weightlifting would be detrimental to speed building because it trains muscles to fire at slower speeds than they would at full speed.

By your thinking, weightlifting would be detrimental to speed building because it trains muscles to fire at slower speeds than they would at full speed.

I would agree that weightlifting vs. weight training can be detrimental. I've seen kids get slower as they have hit the weights and not done so with a proper training program. More of a body building vs weight training.
________
Honda gl650

I would agree that weightlifting vs. weight training can be detrimental. I've seen kids get slower as they have hit the weights and not done so with a proper training program. More of a body building vs weight training.

Well yes, you are correct. But my point is football players have to lift weights or they won't survive a second on the field. And if they do it correctly, they will not lose their speed. I got stronger AND faster in college and I think the majority of college athletes do the same.

Top Bottom