Brown and Fleck both continuing to prove themselves at the highest level

BleedGopher

Reaction score
*per Wesley:

For Fleck, he has followed a similar path to reach the level of success at Minnesota. Fleck was the head coach of Western Michigan from 2013-2016. Like Brown, in just four seasons, Fleck completely flipped the program upside down. In Fleck’s first season, Western Michigan went 1-11, with their only win coming against Massachusetts by one point. Three years later, Fleck was in charge of the No. 12 ranked Broncos, and led them to a New Year’s Six Bowl Game, where his team came up just short of beating No. 8 Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl. In Fleck’s final season at Western Michigan, he led the Broncos to an undefeated regular season, before losing to the Big Ten runner-up. Now, Fleck led Minnesota to a 11-2 record in 2019, including an Outback Bowl win over Auburn.

Both coaches recognize each other have come from similar places and worked their way to the positions they are in now. Brown said Fleck is not only an amazing person, but an incredible leader who knows how to engage people.

“What PJ’s done not only at Minnesota, but what he did at Western Michigan was special,” Brown said. “A lot of energy, he’s a great motivator, a great teacher, he’s a program builder and he’s a relater. He’s done a tremendous job at both those universities as the head coach and he’s done it in a lot of different ways.”

Fleck looked back to his days at Western Michigan where he first knew Brown and reflected on how much he respected Brown not only as a coach, but as a person.

“I’ve known Neal (Brown) back to the Western Michigan days. He’s a class act, he’s a wonderful human being, he’s an incredible football coach with a very creative mind,” Fleck said.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, but next year fleck needs to prove it, for me anyway. We lost to Bowling Green and Illinois and they were inexplicable, inexcusable losses. I don’t get the excessive praise.

Top Bottom