Bring on Mike Tice

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
Can you imagine this guy on the recruiting trail? Uff da. And this guy can both call a game and coach em up. He went 9-7 on a shoestring budget with the Vikings and was fired for Chilly's ineptitude.

Mike Tice doesn't have a college degree, therefore is not not eligible to be an NCAA head coach. Next.

No more NFL OL coaches as college head coaches? No more Kirk Ferentzes, I guess.

No please, not at all...let's just get a proven College coach & keep it moving, no more taking chances. Hiring Mike Tice doesn't mean he'll be Kirk Ferentz just like Brewster wasn't Ron Zook...

Let's just *PLEASE* get a proven College Coach...

If they were going after a former Vikings coach, Dennis Green is the one who made the most out of the least. He hired good coordinators and had a good eye for talent (Billick said he was the best talent evaluator he's ever been around). Obviously, Green is too old and has too much baggage in the Twin Cities to get the job even if he was interested.

No more NFL OL coaches as college head coaches? No more Kirk Ferentzes, I guess.

Yeah, weren't the guy who predicted two years ago that Kirk Ferentz wouldn't win 9 games in a season ever again and would end up getting fired? Of course, he went and won 9 and 11 games in each of the next two seasons, respectively. Now, you long for a guy like that, eh? Interesting.

As an aside, Ferentz was not just an NFL guy. He was a college assistant for almost a decade at Iowa under Fry. He was a college head coach at Maine for three highly unsuccessful years. In addition, Ferentz has never been a coordinator, one of the knocks against Brewster.

What all of this proves is that there is no sure thing when it comes to a coaching hire.

I honestly think there are 25-50 coaches out there willing to take the job who would be a huge upgrade

But, on the bright side, you wouldn't have to worry about him scalping Rose Bowl tickets, since we would never make it

Mike Tice doesn't have a college degree, therefore is not not eligible to be an NCAA head coach. Next.
I'm not even sure the man can read.

Have you ever read Flowers for Algernon? We're talking the last 10 pages or so here.

If the Gophers hire Tice who's going to cut the ham hocks? They can't spare him down in Austin.

I'm not even sure the man can read.

Have you ever read Flowers for Algernon? We're talking the last 10 pages or so here.

I'd say first ten pages. Last ten implies he was a genius at some point in his life. Hard to imagine.

Nice reference, btw. That book is in my top 5.

Sending Tice out on the recruiting trail would just be cruel, GPS can only do so much. His family would miss him.

One of the stupidest post i ever seen here at Gopherhole.com.

Tice would be one of the worst head coach ever.

I am not saying hire Mike Tice, but to say he would be one of the worst ever is a very ignorant statement when you look at recent Gopher coaching history. Brewster? At least Tice has coached more than just tight ends in his career. Brewster was hailed as a genius hire for recruiting Vince Young to Texas. Hmm, he got a QB from Texas to stay and play at Texas... That must have been difficult. Then when Mack Brown had an opening for an offensive coordinator he DID NOT hire the genius Brewster. Same thing in Denver, same thing with Schottenheimer...he was a tight ends coach that was never allowed to be be anything else, because that is all he is.

I am not saying hire Mike Tice, but to say he would be one of the worst ever is a very ignorant statement when you look at recent Gopher coaching history. Brewster? At least Tice has coached more than just tight ends in his career. Brewster was hailed as a genius hire for recruiting Vince Young to Texas. Hmm, he got a QB from Texas to stay and play at Texas... That must have been difficult. Then when Mack Brown had an opening for an offensive coordinator he DID NOT hire the genius Brewster. Same thing in Denver, same thing with Schottenheimer...he was a tight ends coach that was never allowed to be be anything else, because that is all he is.
Well, I think there was some implied hyperbole there.

Top Bottom