Brief MN mentions in "Inside WI Recruiting" from The Athletic

Interesting. How much do you want to bet that these coaches are Badger homers and think he’s all hype because of their bias. Coach 2 obviously fits that. Probably extra bitter with losing this year would be my guess.
Let's go with the entire mortgage on he's a homer. Approximate real risk? Zero

Brief MN mentions? (These guys went out of their way to mention Fleck) These Comments show that Fleck is unique and not for everyone. He got the top RB from WI to a PWO and a LB as well. Also bringing in an OL the was committed to NDSU. Iowa and WI have good holds in WI and MN will need to chip away.

And Fleck is an easy target because he is comfortable in front of microphone and doesn't try to avoid media contact the way a lot of other coaches do.

There will be more coaches like Fleck coming through the ranks but right now he is still different than the status quo football coach and that scares a lot of fans.

Those that doubt he is for real are the ones that just catch bits and pieces and assume it is all for show. You look at all the stuff the program does away from the field and cameras and it is very clear that Fleck practices what he preaches and it is not an act just for the cameras.

There will be plenty of people who will never embrace Fleck's style but by pretty much all accounts what you see from Fleck in public is what he is like behind the scenes as well.
And there it is...When was the last time a football player did something off the field that embarrassed the program? As much proof as anything that its not just lip service. Fleck didn't invent the idea of developing a culture, and it has been perfected in football before (cf. Bill Belichick) so I am not shocked by his relative success.

Isn't it known that Fleck and Fitzgerald get along just fine? Fitzgerald was one coach who met with Fleck in person prior to becoming a head coach years ago. Maybe it's one way admiration, but Fleck is definitely a Fitzgerald fan.

Love it.
5-10 years ago these same Badger-lovers would have been mocking Minnesota for being bad. Now they have to try to construct a different take when they attempt to steer their players elsewhere.

Compared to PJ, Chryst is a narcoleptic. Plays well to the hometown when he is winning. But since the Gophers walloped the Badgers this year, I think Chryst has gotten a little criticism for appearing to be a cardboard cutout rather than an animated being. Some Badger fans are beginning to suspect that the coach’s lack of energy transfers to the team …

Coach #2 is a dink, wouldn't know what good culture was if it hit him in the groin and is salty because we coming!!!! And we have the axe. And he has to live in wisconsin.

old school football coaches hate coach fleck, they see his culture and the way he acts as a shtick

Isn't it known that Fleck and Fitzgerald get along just fine? Fitzgerald was one coach who met with Fleck in person prior to becoming a head coach years ago. Maybe it's one way admiration, but Fleck is definitely a Fitzgerald fan.

That's what I thought too. If there is any animosity...it's definitely a one way street. Because Fleck clearly admires Fitz. But really....I doubt Fleck dislikes anyone. Maybe Ferentz a bit.

My question - these interviews with HS Coaches - were the coaches promised up front that their names would not be used?

If you know that your name will not be used, I tend to think that coaches would be more inclined to speak freely.

if that is the case, then I think the sentiments being expressed about Fleck are more likely to be genuine. Please note - it's still one person's opinion or perception - doesn't mean that every coach feels the same way.

And I have read things like this before where Fleck is accused of "negative recruiting" - meaning that he is saying "don't go to school X because....."

some coaches think that's fair game; others think it violates the 'gentlemen's agreement.' And that may be why some other coaches don't like Fleck.

But - I will add this:

If a HS coach thinks one of their kids deserves a scholarship offer, and they don't get one, then they are more likely to be negative about the recruiting process. So some of this could be sour grapes.

Actually nothing we haven’t heard before - is Flecks energy and style authentic? Some people like it and some people it rubs the wrong way and they don’t trust it. And there will always be the Badger homers that will weigh in w “negativity” of there own.
There's a third option - I think Fleck's energy and style are authentic and he rubs me the wrong way. I would dislike him as a neighbor or co-worker, but as long as he gets results I'm okay with him as coach.

I don't think Fleck is a love-him-or-hate-him guy. I think that the fans are more likely to be love-hate binary within themselves.

That's what I thought too. If there is any animosity...it's definitely a one way street. Because Fleck clearly admires Fitz. But really....I doubt Fleck dislikes anyone. Maybe Ferentz a bit.
I bet he does dislike some of these guys, but is smart enough to keep it under wraps. Nothing to be gained from publicly going after a coach and then looking silly afterwards (see Scott Frost).

My question - these interviews with HS Coaches - were the coaches promised up front that their names would not be used?

If you know that your name will not be used, I tend to think that coaches would be more inclined to speak freely.

if that is the case, then I think the sentiments being expressed about Fleck are more likely to be genuine. Please note - it's still one person's opinion or perception - doesn't mean that every coach feels the same way.

And I have read things like this before where Fleck is accused of "negative recruiting" - meaning that he is saying "don't go to school X because....."

some coaches think that's fair game; others think it violates the 'gentlemen's agreement.' And that may be why some other coaches don't like Fleck.

But - I will add this:

If a HS coach thinks one of their kids deserves a scholarship offer, and they don't get one, then they are more likely to be negative about the recruiting process. So some of this could be sour grapes.
It could be sour grapes and you have to imagine many of the WI coaches are diehard Becky fans. Their love of their home team is for sure going to bias their take on Fleck. I have been around enough high school and traveling coaches to hear all their biases (for any sport, not just football).

Coach 2 is saying what 33% of people think about PJ. Its always going to be a running thread, he's just not your Woody Hayes coaching archetype who has a rough exterior and rules by fear. PJ is the energetic guy selling life building acronyms and a lot of people love to hate him. What matters is that he can get through to 18 year olds and recruit well. Eventually we will get more WI and MN O- lineman but as we know, the best recruits usually want to leave the state for a helmet school.
A lot of HS football coaches are also guys that don't like the "city-slicker" types and will always prefer a guy who acts and speaks like Paul Chryst. Even though PJ played in the MAC, coached in the MAC, and actually has a very blue-collar coaching ideology.

Remember that a lot of HS coaches are also divas in their own way, and they hate not being the biggest guy in the room or feeling intimidated like that

Coach 2 is saying what 33% of people think about PJ. Its always going to be a running thread, he's just not your Woody Hayes coaching archetype who has a rough exterior and rules by fear. PJ is the energetic guy selling life building acronyms and a lot of people love to hate him. What matters is that he can get through to 18 year olds and recruit well. Eventually we will get more WI and MN O- lineman but as we know, the best recruits usually want to leave the state for a helmet school.
He’s not human with his boundless energy. He must scare a lot of people.

Compared to PJ, Chryst is a narcoleptic. Plays well to the hometown when he is winning. But since the Gophers walloped the Badgers this year, I think Chryst has gotten a little criticism for appearing to be a cardboard cutout rather than an animated being. Some Badger fans are beginning to suspect that the coach’s lack of energy transfers to the team …
I saw Flecks pregame speech video and was thinking to myself, I can't imagine what a pregame Chryst speech would be like.

What’s interesting is that Tim Polasek (that the coaches admired) no longer coaches at Iowa but is the OC at Wyoming.

The funny thing to me about others & their hatred of Fleck is I really don't remember Fleck saying anything but positive & respectful comments about our opponents and particularly our rivals in general.

I also remember a former player from the '17 team telling me "he does not turn it off when there aren't any cameras or others around. He is that hyped up all the time." It's been said that he may not be for everyone, but I am of the opinion that is not fake at all. He is just wired that way. And there a a bunch of kids that like it....

Regarding the article: what a suck fest. Seriously, can these high school coaches grovel on the ground any more to the University of Wisconsin? Practically begging to be liked....

"Hey Coach Chryst, I'll be at the Red Lobster in case you change your mind!"

Coach 2 said he thinks PJ Fleck is a very negative recruiter, Coach 6 said the only negative recruiting he could think of was targeted at PJ. Something doesn't add up here ....

So, let's see if I understand this: Fleck is "afraid" of recruiting in Wisconsin, Fleck is basically ignoring Wisconsin kids in recruiting... and yet Fleck is also doing a lot of negative recruiting in Wisconsin?

That is some weird Sconnie logic there. Contradict yourselves much?
I think that kind of logic is what is used to create fractal art.

Not sure how to feel about this. To date, Fleck hasn't recruited Minnesota very well...so is it a surprise that he allegedly hasn't recruited Wisconsin well either? I would guess that the struggles are related in that if Fleck is not seeing results in Minnesota, he would be unlikely to invest a lot of time in the most similar state to Minnesota that is home to a more successful football program. Up until this year, Fleck has done a nice job in Illinois. I hope we see a return to getting some top kids out of Illinois next year. As for Wisconsin, I think that's a tough ask unless/until we hold the axe for a few consecutive years.

And there it is...When was the last time a football player did something off the field that embarrassed the program?
All you have to do is watch the Gophers hand the football to the officials while the opposition generally just sling the football in their general direction, at best.

What’s interesting is that Tim Polasek (that the coaches admired) no longer coaches at Iowa but is the OC at Wyoming.
The article does mention that... also mentions his having coached at NDSU... those WI coaches all seemed to love them some Tim Polasek!

In the runny pile that is the big ten west all you need to do is own your state and the neighboring states and you win. Wi has done this for 20 yrs. thankfully the ia faithful didn’t give in like mn kids or it could be worse.

We should do better nearer the border where Wisconsin kids probably spend a lot of time in Minnesota.
There was a poster on the Iowa board a few weeks ago that stated that the top Center in the country, Hinzman, was leaning Minnesota. In a State known for OLinemen, that would be big.

There's a third option - I think Fleck's energy and style are authentic and he rubs me the wrong way. I would dislike him as a neighbor or co-worker, but as long as he gets results I'm okay with him as coach.

I don't think Fleck is a love-him-or-hate-him guy. I think that the fans are more likely to be love-hate binary within themselves.

Have you met the guy? He came and spoke to us in Chicago. He was very quiet and respectful when he wasn't up at the podium. I found him very self aware and those type of people make the best co-workers and neighbors.

The Athletic has an article about how Chryst and the Badgers are recruiting the state of Wisconsin. The Athletic interviewed a bunch of H.S. coaches from around the state. Huge article, but there were a few mentions of Minnesota:

Who does the best job recruiting your program outside the state?
Coach 1:
Illinois is cracking. They are cracking in this state. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a school pump in like that before. They’re dominating right now. I think they’re really good. Iowa used to be really good and when Tim Polasek left, I haven’t heard a single word from Iowa. I think Minnesota is terrible. I’ll be honest with you. I think they’re terrible at recruiting in the state of Wisconsin. Maybe they’re afraid of it. But I just don’t understand why some of these closer schools don’t go deeper into it. They can steal some of these kids if they just establish relationships. Minnesota must be establishing some relationships in small little pockets. But I would think Minnesota would have their grips on this place, but I don’t feel like they do.

Which coaches do you trust the least?
Coach 2:
The one right now that I would trust the least and have the least respect for is P.J. Fleck, without a doubt. And I wouldn’t have to think twice about who would be the first one I would say I wouldn’t trust or would have very little respect for. I think he’s all talk. I think he’s a very negative recruiter and I think he’s all talk and not a lot of substance.

How prevalent is negative recruiting in Wisconsin?
Coach 6:
I thought there would be more when I started this whole thing with coaching in high school. But I would say there’s little comments about maybe like P.J. Fleck and that type of thing. Multiple staffs have made little comments about P.J. Just about his energy and if it’s authentic or if it’s just a show he’s putting on.

Who are the best individual recruiters in your time?
Coach 4:
I would say Tim Polasek does an unbelievable job. Matt Simon, the current wide receiver coach at Minnesota, He was with P.J. at Western Michigan. I think he does an outstanding job as well. They both have different demeanors and different approaches. Tim Polasek is a little bit more high-energy kind of animated as opposed to Matt Simon is more of a laid-back type of approach. But I think they both use their personalities and they don’t try to be fake and they are who they are. I think kids and I appreciate that. And Chris Haering has done a great job, too. I’m probably more leaning towards guys that are relationship guys. I think that comes down to what recruiting is about.

Coach 2 definitely does not like P.J. Fleck. Coach 4 does seem to like Matt Simon, though... and coach 1 thinks Minnesota is doing a terrible job recruiting the state of Wisconsin.
Anonymous high school coach names which Big Ten head coach he trusts the least

I think they are getting nervous. Negative recruiting comes in many forms.

Top Bottom