Brian Hamilton of The Athletic: Because it’s a BT job you have to make Boynton say no. If that’s what you hear, you immediately offer Nikko Medved

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hamilton:

Call list​

(In alphabetical order)

Mike Boynton, Oklahoma State head coach. It’s absolutely worth a call to the Cowboys’ 39-year-old coach, who has built a winner despite NCAA infractions (of someone else’s doing) issues swirling around the program. Oklahoma State would’ve been good this year even without Cade Cunningham on board. Boynton is a Brooklyn native who has mostly worked in the South and in Texas, so it’s not like he has some abiding tie to Stillwater. He makes less than $2 million a year. Oklahoma State is facing a postseason ban in 2022. If you’re looking for someone who won despite adverse circumstances, and who might be able to lure more of those five-star recruits to Williams Arena, the timing might be right on both sides.

Brian Dutcher, San Diego State head coach. The big tell is the fairly sizable buyout in Dutcher’s new deal at his current place of employment … that drops to a wholly manageable $1 million for one particular job: Minnesota men’s basketball coach. Dutcher, of course, is a Minnesota native who attended the school and whose father, Jim, coached the Gophers for 11 seasons. Winning 75 percent of his games and proving himself to be an elite defensive mind recommends Dutcher for the gig. One thing does not: He’ll be 62 in October. Not ancient, but not the potential long-term solution other candidates might be.

Anthony Grant, Dayton head coach. Again, Coyle would be wise to inquire here, but chances are it’d be a tough sell. Grant has done the power-conference job thing and now has recruiting cooking at his alma mater, with top 50 prospect DaRon Holmes signed to play for the Flyers next season. It’s a mid-major program, yes, but it has many of the trappings of a major-conference gig and, according to the USA Today coaches’ salary database, Grant makes nearly $2 million a year. He’s in a great situation at a place that loves him. Coyle will have to come prepared with a robust sales pitch if this is his guy.

Niko Medved, Colorado State head coach. How many boxes would you like to check? Medved is 47. He’s a Minneapolis native who grew up in the suburb of Roseville. He went to Minnesota. He was an assistant at Minnesota for one season. More important, Medved has demonstrated the uncanny ability to rebuild. Furman went from nine wins to 23 in four seasons. Colorado State improved by eight wins across Medved’s first two seasons there and went 18-6 this season, the second team out of the NCAA Tournament. He’ll get the culture right and be as invested as anyone possibly could be. The lone drawback? Zero NCAA Tournament appearances as a head coach. It shouldn’t be disqualifying, given the situations Medved inherited, but it’s something to note.

Ryan Saunders, former Minnesota Timberwolves coach. There was a time when people harbored dreams that the late Flip Saunders would peace out on coaching the NBA and return to his alma mater and bring it to glory. That didn’t happen, but it still could wind up a family business. Ryan Saunders is another perfect “One Of Us” candidate — if you live in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, you understand — who was a walk-on at Minnesota and held down an NBA coaching job. Of course, he went 43-94 doing that job. If you give him a pass for being one of the youngest coaches in the league and are fairly sure he’s got the chops, then at 34, he offers energy and name recognition in the recruiting circles and is a possible generational hire.

Craig Smith, Utah State head coach. If you’re looking for the automatic yes, this is another place where you get it. Smith is a Minnesota native with extensive coaching experience in the upper Midwest. Also, he wins. A lot. Utah State is 62-18 in Smith’s three seasons. South Dakota won 26 games in Smith’s final season there. The Aggies have evolved into a top-25 defensive unit in Smith’s third season, and although a lot of that is owed to Neemas Queta being on the roster, it’s the backbone you want when you’re starting over with a new coach. No one will ever be the Next P.J. Fleck, because Minnesota’s football coach is a phenomenon unto himself. But if that’s the general template Coyle prefers, then Smith is the fit.

Brian Hamilton’s hire

Because it’s a Big Ten job, you probably have to make Boynton say no. There’s something to be said for understanding power-league demands. But if that’s what you hear, you have Niko Medved on the other line and offer him the gig immediately.

Go Gophers!!

I’ve read a lot of articles on our coaching search. This is by far the worst. I don’t think this guy has any idea what he is talking about.

Hamilton was actually with the Pioneer Press from 1999-2005 and (if I am not mistaken) was the Gophers beat writer during part of that time. He covered the Monson years.

I'm guessing his editor asked him to write something up since he had previous Gophers' experience

I'm out on Boynton. Way in on Cade Cunningham though. Helps make coaching look a lot easier.
I actually think Boynton is going to be a hell of a coach. He can recruit and his defensive switching shows he has a pretty good handle on x and o’s. Not sure why some of these media people keep putting Ryan Saunders on their lists though.

I actually think Boynton is going to be a hell of a coach. He can recruit and his defensive switching shows he has a pretty good handle on x and o’s. Not sure why some of these media people keep putting Ryan Saunders on their lists though.
Ryan Saunders will be on every Gopher basketball coach list for the next 30 years. It's the law.

Maybe Gates or Smith will still be here in 30 years and won’t need coaching search every 5 to 8.

I had forgotten he did play BB for the Gophers. Made 16 out of 33 FG's so he certainly is qualified to coach our brick layers.
He shot significantly better than most of the team last year. Maybe more an indictment on the shooting woes but as they say “if you can win a super bowl you can coach big ten hoops!”

Terrible list, normally the Athletic's stuff is good too.

I'll ask again, exactly what on Boynton's resume makes him such a standout candidate?
He has recruited a young talented roster all while under a cloud a NCAA sanctions which have nothing to do with him. I’m pretty sure he didn’t hire the brother of every talented recruit he got in there. He does a good job of mixing up defenses during games which is something I think was a weakness of Pitino. He is outgoing and has really engaged the community there which is something I think a Coyle is looking for, not just coaching but fund raising and being a leader in the community. That being said, I don’t think he is coming here but I would definitely make the call. While there are no sure things in sports I am willing to bet Boynton will be elite.

One more thing on Boyton is that I don’t think there is a team in the country that has improved more from the beginning of this season to the end. To me that’s a sign of good coaching.

If Niko Medved didn't have "Minnesota Connections", would he be on our list? Is he on the list for other jobs, Utah perhaps?

I don't know much about him. Zero NCAA tournament appearances would seem to be a concern, albeit it not out of the ordinary here.

per Hamilton:

Call list​

(In alphabetical order)

Mike Boynton, Oklahoma State head coach. It’s absolutely worth a call to the Cowboys’ 39-year-old coach, who has built a winner despite NCAA infractions (of someone else’s doing) issues swirling around the program. Oklahoma State would’ve been good this year even without Cade Cunningham on board. Boynton is a Brooklyn native who has mostly worked in the South and in Texas, so it’s not like he has some abiding tie to Stillwater. He makes less than $2 million a year. Oklahoma State is facing a postseason ban in 2022. If you’re looking for someone who won despite adverse circumstances, and who might be able to lure more of those five-star recruits to Williams Arena, the timing might be right on both sides.
FWIW, Oklahoma State was the second straight school Brad Underwood left just ahead of sanctions.

He has recruited a young talented roster all while under a cloud a NCAA sanctions which have nothing to do with him. I’m pretty sure he didn’t hire the brother of every talented recruit he got in there. He does a good job of mixing up defenses during games which is something I think was a weakness of Pitino. He is outgoing and has really engaged the community there which is something I think a Coyle is looking for, not just coaching but fund raising and being a leader in the community. That being said, I don’t think he is coming here but I would definitely make the call. While there are no sure things in sports I am willing to bet Boynton will be elite.
Sure did get a good recruit with the one brother he did hire.

If Niko Medved didn't have "Minnesota Connections", would he be on our list? Is he on the list for other jobs, Utah perhaps?

I don't know much about him. Zero NCAA tournament appearances would seem to be a concern, albeit it not out of the ordinary here.
Yes. He's turned around 3 programs that were quite bad before his arrival, so the first year or two at each stop was complete rebuild and not NCAA contention. By the end his teams have been entirely in contention for bids but just haven't quite broken the barrier.

I’ve read a lot of articles on our coaching search. This is by far the worst. I don’t think this guy has any idea what he is talking about.
+1. Opinions : assholes

Ryan Saunders will be on every Gopher basketball coach list for the next 30 years. It's the law.
Doubt that he is on ours or he's turned us down this time around. Same goes to Mitchell due to the time that has elapse now. Wonder which coach is already picked and handshake taken place. Just waiting for his team to drop out of the tourney.

Grant really doesn't do it for me.... to much failure in his past

Stevens would be a no brainer- hope at least the conversation happens!
I don’t think it’s worth the minutes from the U’s phone plan. The likelihood that the U poaches a fairly successful Head Coach with no MN connections from the Boston Celtics is about the same as me having a perfect bracket.

Sometimes you wonder why some media personnel aren’t in coaching or management positions for sports organizations. But sometimes you don’t.

I don’t think it’s worth the minutes from the U’s phone plan. The likelihood that the U poaches a fairly successful Head Coach with no MN connections from the Boston Celtics is about the same as me having a perfect bracket.
Pretty sure the conversation was sarcastic. But who knows.

Especially when his dream college job of IU is also currently open.

Top Bottom