Brian Ferentz contract restructured. Iowa aiming high.

Maybe, but that is why it is embarrassing when we cannot compete with them. They beat us every year and it won't stop any time soon.

"Embarrassing" and "can't compete" with them is a bit over the top, I'd say.

But true as sad as it is, beat them then talk shit!
We may not have the wins to show for it but saying we can't compete with them is just flat out not true. 6 of the last 8 have all been 1 score games. Frustrating as hell that we haven't gotten a W in those close games but we 100% can compete with them and have been year in and year out for the most part.

We may not have the wins to show for it but saying we can't compete with them is just flat out not true. 6 of the last 8 have all been 1 score games. Frustrating as hell that we haven't gotten a W in those close games but we 100% can compete with them and have been year in and year out for the most part.
Compete and WIN are two different things. Just WIN, morally victory’s are for losers

"Embarrassing" and "can't compete" with them is a bit over the top, I'd say.
I would call losing to a rival 8 times in a row embarrassing. They haven't exactly been elite all 8 of those years.

How many of those were using leather helmets with no facemasks? :sneaky:

I don't know, off the top of my head.

Are you saying that some wins and losses are meaningful, and others don't count, based on the length of time that has passed?

If so, when do we start to count games as meaningful? 5 years ago? Ten? Twenty?

8 years ago the Gophers had an entirely different team and coaching staff. Is a game played 8 years ago relevant to today?

Are you saying that some wins and losses are meaningful, and others don't count, based on the length of time that has passed?

8 years ago the Gophers had an entirely different team and coaching staff. Is a game played 8 years ago relevant to today?
Not being able to agree on a number between 5-30, does not prove that including results from 100 years ago is valid.

That said, how about the last 40 games? Does that work for ya?

RqT5Y2a.png

Not being able to agree on a number between 5-30, does not prove that including results from 100 years ago is valid.

So, there are some games in the history of the two teams that are not "valid".

Too long ago.

We're not sure exactly where in history the "validity" kicks in.

Interesting that we got two "extra" home games in that period, and actually took advantage of them both times!

However many is best to let him whine about stuff is what he is going with.

So for Wisconsin, let’s go back to 2004
But for Iowa let’s go back 5 years.
But for Illinois let’s just go back 1

The past is the past, fellas. Beat Iowa this year.

Roughly 40 years ago, Iowa hired Hayden Fry. Fry was there for 20 seasons, during which Iowa had a grand total of 5 seasons in which they finished under .500. Ferentz has basically carried on Fry's legacy. Result: Iowa has had two coaches in 44 years.

Minnesota has had 11 head coaches in that span.

Lesson: set reasonable expectations, find a coach who consistently delivers on those reasonable expectations, and then stick with him. Continually swapping out coaches is a recipe for failure.

Roughly 40 years ago, Iowa hired Hayden Fry. Fry was there for 20 seasons, during which Iowa had a grand total of 5 seasons in which they finished under .500. Ferentz has basically carried on Fry's legacy. Result: Iowa has had two coaches in 44 years.

Lesson: set reasonable expectations, find a coach who consistently delivers on those reasonable expectations, and then stick with him. Continually swapping out coaches is a recipe for failure.
Yet people want to move on from Fleck because they feel he is maxed out. However, I feel it's much less than lead on.

Through history we are even with Wisconsin and just ahead of Iowa. That's even with the lopsided last 30 years. They truly are rivalries. Rivalrie are determined by geography more than W/L record IMO.

This is a great post.

Fry was hired four seasons before my arbitrary cutoff, so let's take it back to the 1979 season

Fry - 20 seasons (79-98) - 8 losses to the Gophers (including first three years)
Ferentz - 24 seasons (99-22) - 6 losses to the Gophers

And yes, as you noted just those two coaches versus our 11.

If you want to have a good laugh head over to Iowa’s free board and see what their fans think of this. Comedy gold.

Yet people want to move on from Fleck because they feel he is maxed out. However, I feel it's much less than lead on.

Through history we are even with Wisconsin and just ahead of Iowa. That's even with the lopsided last 30 years. They truly are rivalries. Rivalrie are determined by geography more than W/L record IMO.

I have a suspicion that a fair percentage of the people here who want Fleck gone are actually Wisconsin and Iowa fans. Not all of them, but some.

I have a suspicion that a fair percentage of the people here who want Fleck gone are actually Wisconsin and Iowa fans. Not all of them, but some.
No one wants Fleck gone.

They just want him to do right by the offensive side of the team. Which still seems mind-boggling given that he was an NFL WR himself.

With a few notable exceptions, the games we lost in 2019, 2021, and 2022 were due to offensive ineptitude more than anything else.

No one wants Fleck gone.

They just want him to do right by the offensive side of the team. Which still seems mind-boggling given that he was an NFL WR himself.

With a few notable exceptions, the games we lost in 2019, 2021, and 2022 were due to offensive ineptitude more than anything else.
I wouldn't include 2019 in that. 2019 offense was very good. They might not have had their best games in the two loses but the offense was not the problem that year at all.

I wouldn't include 2019 in that. 2019 offense was very good. They might not have had their best games in the two loses but the offense was not the problem that year at all.
Iowa game - we didn't score in the first half?
Wisc game - got trashed on both sides of the ball there, that was one of the exceptions where defense didn't keep us in the game.

Very few offenses are great in every single game over the course of an entire season. Sometimes the opponents' defense plays really well.

Fleck's philosophy on offense clearly bugs some people. They are concerned about "modern" football. They're entitled to their opinion.

To me, some people fail to see how FleckBall has contributed to the team's general success. The FleckBall offense controls the clock, doesn't turn the ball over, wears down the opponents' defense physically and gives the Gopher defense a chance to rest and make in-game adjustments. Both Iowa and Wisconsin have had years of success with a similar philosophy.

If playing great offense was a simple matter of throwing more often, every team would have a great offense. A good head coach plays to his team's personnel and to their strengths.

Nebraska under new coach Matt Rhule plans to return to smash-mouth football.

No one wants Fleck gone.

Agreed, he just needs to change his best versus Iowa.

Iowa game - we didn't score in the first half?
Wisc game - got trashed on both sides of the ball there, that was one of the exceptions where defense didn't keep us in the game.
Which is exactly my point....didn't have a good day....but the 2019 offense was very good and as Murray said, no team is going to be great in every game.

Top Bottom