Brewster's Moment of Truth Has Arrived

Reaction score
I don't think Brewster should get an extension. If the team does not turn the corner in 2010, I think it is time make a change. We have to that moment. The Insight Bowl game gives the Gophers a losing record for the season. Brewster is officially on the proverbial hot seat and he will either turn the corner next season or he will be fired.

Wouldn't worry about the extension, it won't be much, just a little buffer for him to sell to recruits.

Yes, he's obviously on the hot seat, and anything less than a winning record (7 regular season wins at least plus offensive improvement) will probably get him fired. People are ready to pretty much assume that won't happen, but you really never know. If we get improved, even slightly improved, quarterback and O-line play, that could spur us to 8 or 9 wins. Making any predictions about next year at this point is just pointless though.

Making any predictions about next year at this point is just pointless though.

I agree with that in theory. HOWEVER, we've seen nothing to give us reason to believe it will be better, and plenty of logical reasons it won't be. All we have is hope. Pretty depressing.

Where is 7 wins? LOL I see 4-5 and 6 at very best!

Thu, Sep 02 Middle Tennessee State at Murfreesboro, Tenn W or L

Sat, Sep 11 South Dakota TCF Bank Stadium hopefully a W

Sat, Sep 18 Southern California TCF Bank Stadium L If its close I will be surprized

Sat, Sep 25 Northern Illinois TCF Bank Stadium W or L

Sat, Oct 02 Northwestern TCF Bank Stadium W or L

Sat, Oct 09 Wisconsin at Madison, Wis. L

Sat, Oct 16 Purdue at West Lafayette, Ind. W or L

Sat, Oct 23 Penn State TCF Bank Stadium L

Sat, Oct 30 Ohio State TCF Bank Stadium L

Sat, Nov 06 Michigan State at East Lansing, Mich. L

Sat, Nov 13 Illinois at Champaign, Ill. W or L

Sat, Nov 27 Iowa TCF Bank Stadium L

Where is 7 wins? LOL I see 4-5 and 6 at very best!

Thu, Sep 02 Middle Tennessee State at Murfreesboro, Tenn W or L
Sat, Sep 11 South Dakota TCF Bank Stadium hopefully a W
Sat, Sep 18 Southern California TCF Bank Stadium L If its close I will be surprized
Sat, Sep 25 Northern Illinois TCF Bank Stadium W or L
Sat, Oct 02 Northwestern TCF Bank Stadium W or L
Sat, Oct 09 Wisconsin at Madison, Wis. L
Sat, Oct 16 Purdue at West Lafayette, Ind. W or L
Sat, Oct 23 Penn State TCF Bank Stadium L
Sat, Oct 30 Ohio State TCF Bank Stadium L
Sat, Nov 06 Michigan State at East Lansing, Mich. L
Sat, Nov 13 Illinois at Champaign, Ill. W or L
Sat, Nov 27 Iowa TCF Bank Stadium L

The bold indicates 6 losses right there. Brew would have to win all the "pick" games, the only "W" game, and the bowl game (assuming 6-6 earns us one) in order to achieve a winning record, so... if he needs a winning record to stay -- better start working on that resume.

Are we really going to fire the guy for a 6-6 year with noted improvement in key areas and playing that schedule? This isn't a Mason special playing Toledo and Montana State + 2 more pancakes.

5 years min for any new coach that is going to bowl games. Good grief.

And yes he needs an extension for recruiting.

GM

Are we really going to fire the guy for a 6-6 year with noted improvement in key areas and playing that schedule? This isn't a Mason special playing Toledo and Montana State + 2 more pancakes.

GM

1) No. we probably are not going to fire him.
2) We didn't go 6-6, we went 6-7. We lost more often than we won.
3) For every improved area there is an area that has regressed. And the regressions are far more severe than the improvements. It's mind boggling that the O-line & running game could be worse than last year, but by and large over the course of the season they were. And this was a so-called focus area (remember "pound the rock"?)
4) Enough about the 'tough schedule'. As a poster on another thread pointed out, ALL MAJOR CONFERENCE TEAMS play a bunch of bowl bound teams.

After All....

1) No. we probably are not going to fire him.
2) We didn't go 6-6, we went 6-7. We lost more often than we won.
3) For every improved area there is an area that has regressed. And the regressions are far more severe than the improvements. It's mind boggling that the O-line & running game could be worse than last year, but by and large over the course of the season they were. And this was a so-called focus area (remember "pound the rock"?)
4) Enough about the 'tough schedule'. As a poster on another thread pointed out, ALL MAJOR CONFERENCE TEAMS play a bunch of bowl bound teams.

Good points. Hey, even Zook took the Illini to the Rose Bowl. This can be done with a marginal game day coach. The long term health of the program may be another story, however. There is no doubt in my mind that Brewster is indeed on the hot seat.

GM

I would think intelligent recruits and most definitely their parents could see through a meaningless 2 year contract extension. Contracts all across the college game mean nothing. Coaches can leave as they please, and athletic directors can cut the chord as they so choose.

Are we really going to fire the guy for a 6-6 year with noted improvement in key areas and playing that schedule?

GM

Where are these noted areas of improvement??

The defense was good this year, but most of them are seniors...well be intersting to see what happens next year. Interesting maybe is not the right word, scary could be it though

Where are these noted areas of improvement??

The defense was good this year, but most of them are seniors...well be intersting to see what happens next year. Interesting maybe is not the right word, scary could be it though

For at least the hundredth time: Senior starters with a lot of young guys on the field, even at critical times. That means most of the returning defensive players will not be learning what significant game time is like. Now, if you want to talk about who steps up and assumes leadership roles, that's a different story.

I don't think Brewster should get an extension. If the team does not turn the corner in 2010, I think it is time make a change. We have to that moment. The Insight Bowl game gives the Gophers a losing record for the season. Brewster is officially on the proverbial hot seat and he will either turn the corner next season or he will be fired.

This is how I feel as well. I'm not in favor of firing Brewster.....yet. But I certainly don't think he warrants an extension either. So far, he hasn't shown much other than an ability to lure better talent to campus. The fact that he is a good recruiter certainly makes upcoming seasons worth watching, if nothing else to see if they can lift the program up down the line. But there certainly needs to be better results than these to warrant an extension imo.

Top Bottom