Brewster's Job Status

Coach Who?

So who would be available to replace Brew? Let's face it - Urban Meyer and Nick Saban aren't coming to Dinkytown. Any replacement would either be recognizable head coaches from up-and-coming programs, rejects from top-notch programs, or new names.

Colorado went with the first option and Dan Hawkins has been a disappointment, Washington went with Ty Willingham and he was brutal.

When you look at coaching hires over the last few years, can anyone really say that Brewster stands out as an example of a hiring mistake?

Rich Rodriguez anyone?

Brewster isn't going anywhere.

Coach Who?

So who would be available to replace Brew? Let's face it - Urban Meyer and Nick Saban aren't coming to Dinkytown. Any replacement would either be recognizable head coaches from up-and-coming programs, rejects from top-notch programs, or new names.

Colorado went with the first option and Dan Hawkins has been a disappointment, Washington went with Ty Willingham and he was brutal.

When you look at coaching hires over the last few years, can anyone really say that Brewster stands out as an example of a hiring mistake?
Rich Rodriguez anyone?

Brewster isn't going anywhere.

Agreed...for the time being he isn't going anywhere.

TB was not a hiring mistake...he was an on-the-job-training hiring experiment.

The real question is: Will he prove a hiring mistake?

No one knows the answer as yet.

One thing is for sure, our team is horrendous. We play like a MAC team most of the time. It is a combination of coaching and crappy players. Mostly coaching though. If we had a coach who actually knew how to run a team we could easily be five times better than we are. Horrible play calling, poor route running, execution, dropped passes, bad o-line, bad D-backs, slow line backers, bad running backs, 17 penalties for 160 yards in one game (wtf?). You name it.

We need someone who can recruit AND coach a team, but that isn't possible. Know why? Because those coaches are all in the Pac-10, SEC, and ACC where they belong.

Well boys here you have it, a 6-6 season with our only shot at a Bowl game going to the Pizza Bowl in Detroit. What a season.

"Rich Rodriguez anyone?"

If Coach Brewster doesn't work out and Rodriguez is available, Maturi would be crazy not to give him a shot. Rodriguez is not a nice guy, but he's a winner. I think the WV lawsuit and his abrasive style initially rubbing players wrong in Ann Arbor created a tough environment for him before his first game and he hasn't recovered.

9 starters on Defense

Agree that Brew gets year 4, then it's decision time: fire or extend so he can continue to recruit.

Why are there 9 seniors starting on defense? How come there aren't some starters from the recruting class of 2008 or maybe 2007 even though he didn't have much time to recruit?

While I am not in the fire-Brewster crowd I will point out two things:

1 - if the Gophers lose to SDSU next week all bets are off. Brewster apologists won't have any reason to apologize any more and those who want Brew gone yesterday will be whipped into a fervor. If there has ever been a "must-win" game for Brewster, next week is it.

2 - The gophers are 5-9 in their last 14 games. That includes the following:

Wins v. Syracuse, Air Force, Northwestern, Purdue and MSU (only one - the MSU game - can be considered a win against a decent team IMO)

Losses v. Cal, Wisc (twice), Penn State, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan and Northwestern (three of those games - Wisconsin and Illinois in '09 and Northwestern in '08 - were winnable)

So Brew backers will point to the above and say that's a tough stretch of games with losses to good teams like Cal/Wisconsin/Penn State, OSU and Michigan - what do you expect?

Brew skeptics will point to that and say they don't care who you play, you have to win more games - the losses to Illinois and Northwestern were embarrassing and Brewster hasn't done anything to instill faith in the fandom. Add to that the fact that the Big 10 overall is quite mediocre overall and things do not look good at all in Gopher Nation.

I personally think that Brewster has recruited more athletic kids and that there are flashes of great individual effort in each game - but overall things are not where Brewster thought they'd be and certainly not what he's promised to deliver. Most people understand it's far wiser to under-promise and over-deliver - not the other way around. Unfortunately Brewster has contributed a great deal to the frustration of Gopher Nation with his unrealistic optimism. Whenever given the chance to offer realistic assessments of performance, he passes on the chance and offers his cliches and recruit-speak instead. He has created the impatience in his fan base IMO.

1 - if the Gophers lose to SDSU next week all bets are off. Brewster apologists won't have any reason to apologize any more and those who want Brew gone yesterday will be whipped into a fervor. If there has ever been a "must-win" game for Brewster, next week is it.

Wins v. Syracuse, Air Force, Northwestern, Purdue and MSU (only one - the MSU game - can be considered a win against a decent team IMO)

Losses v. Cal, Wisc (twice), Penn State, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan and Northwestern (three of those games - Wisconsin and Illinois in '09 and Northwestern in '08 - were winnable)

So Brew backers will point to the above and say that's a tough stretch of games with losses to good teams like Cal/Wisconsin/Penn State, OSU and Michigan - what do you expect?

Brew skeptics will point to that and say they don't care who you play, you have to win more games - the losses to Illinois and Northwestern were embarrassing and Brewster hasn't done anything to instill faith in the fandom. Add to that the fact that the Big 10 overall is quite mediocre overall and things do not look good at all in Gopher Nation.

I personally think that Brewster has recruited more athletic kids and that there are flashes of great individual effort in each game - but overall things are not where Brewster thought they'd be and certainly not what he's promised to deliver. Most people understand it's far wiser to under-promise and over-deliver - not the other way around. Unfortunately Brewster has contributed a great deal to the frustration of Gopher Nation with his unrealistic optimism. Whenever given the chance to offer realistic assessments of performance, he passes on the chance and offers his cliches and recruit-speak instead. He has created the impatience in his fan base IMO.

Agree re "unrealistic optimism".

Agree re "realistic"...TB's persona of over-the-top optimism prevents him from consistently being in touch with reality.

Partially agree re "impatience"...I sense that is also a product of 40 years in the Desert of Futility for GN.

If SDSU lays an L on the Gs, even Brew's patient boss Joel M will have to reassess why the wheels are coming off his HC hiring experiment.

"Rich Rodriguez anyone?"

If Coach Brewster doesn't work out and Rodriguez is available, Maturi would be crazy not to give him a shot. Rodriguez is not a nice guy, but he's a winner. I think the WV lawsuit and his abrasive style initially rubbing players wrong in Ann Arbor created a tough environment for him before his first game and he hasn't recovered.

This post is why it is fun on this board after a loss.

Do you really think this would/could ever happen? Come on.

I would add Northwestern and Air Force as decent teams. Just ask Iowa if Northwestern is a decent team. Air Force's conference losses are to TCU by 3 and Utah in OT. Their non-conference losses are to us & Navy.

Don't remember staking a claim that I was a coach. Don't remember saying I know more than Brewster just stating the obvious. It does not matter the recruits you get if you can't coach them up.

Its nice that you can come up with a open explanation of why my opinion is wrong. Instead resort to the old, why don't you do it.

you said brew has no clue how to coach up his talent! im just saying that you obviously know better

Tony Dungy??

STOP IT!
He's never going to coach here.
He's not interested in coaching here.
Pretending that he's an option to coach here fuels alot of stupidity.
He's never coming here. Ever. Stop.

STOP IT!
He's never going to coach here.
He's not interested in coaching here.
Pretending that he's an option to coach here fuels alot of stupidity.
He's never coming here. Ever. Stop.

+1

Top Bottom