Brewster's Job Status

wels0081

Reaction score
So, after every loss from here on out we're going to debate Brewster's job security? Come on.

Brewster's starters today are still Glen Mason's recruited players and he is getting Glen Mason results.

Brew's first recruiting class (2008) had 7--- four or more star rated recruits...
His second (2009), 3.
This year Rivals says he has 3 more committed already.

Mason had 1 his final year (2007), 0 his second to last (2006), and 1 his third to last (2005).

I'm not necessarily sold on Brewster being the savior he came in selling himself as, I worry we're recruiting academic and criminal risk athletes. With that said, let the kids grow up, if the program is still mediocre in 2011-2012, it's time for a change and then let's have the conversations about Firing Brewster.

Generally agreed, although if the team hasn't improved by 2011 or 12, I certainly hope we've pulled the plug on Brew. The recruiting's better, but all that has done is make me REALLY not want to start over with someone new. Not sure that's a good basis for keeping a coach. Thus far he hasn't given me any confidence that we have a good to great coach of the future. I'm not saying fire him, I'm saying I haven't seen anything to get me excited. At some point give me SOMETHING. At this point, my biggest gripe is that the team doesn't seem to have an identity. What kind of football guy IS Brewster? What kind of coach is he? The team seems really vanilla, and don't seem to have improved. It's hard to be excited. I find I'm hoping for a better future more than I'm expecting it.

I can agree with most of that tato... it's obvious there is more young, raw talent than we've seen in Minneapolis for a long time. Can we blame the Dunbar situation for the lack of an identity? If it took us two years to get the spread really going--- should we expect "pound the rock" to actually work next year?

The coordinator round-a-bout is certainly a huge part of the 'identity' thing. Hopefully we get some consistency in that department.

Even if Maturi and Bruininks want to fire Brewster after this season they cannot AFFORD to get rid of him. The U of M is in bad financial shape because of the economy and the lack of understanding and vision by the Governor and State Legislature about what the U means to the future economic prosperity of Minnesota. It doesn't matter how poorly the Gophers finish out the season, Brewster will be back next year. Take it to the Bank.

Brewster is still moving the team in the right direction, but his ability to coach is suspect due to his inexperience and his inability to invest in HIS recruits (aka youth).

Doesn't the fact that Coach Mason's last season was 2006 undermine your point a bit?

So, after every loss from here on out we're going to debate Brewster's job security? Come on.

Brewster's starters today are still Glen Mason's recruited players and he is getting Glen Mason results.

Brew's first recruiting class (2008) had 7--- four or more star rated recruits...
His second (2009), 3.

Mason had 1 his final year (2007), 0 his second to last (2006), and 1 his third to last (2005).

I'm not necessarily sold on Brewster being the savior he came in selling himself as, I worry we're recruiting academic and criminal risk athletes. With that said, let the kids grow up, if the program is still mediocre in 2011-2012, it's time for a change and then let's have the conversations about Firing Brewster.

They get a touchdown instead of a field goal when they were on the 1 they win. They adjusted after that series and used Hoese in short yardage downs. They sure adjusted at halftime and made it a game. After these last two games Brewster is safe for two more years. The other thing is they are improving with each game this year. I think they are a much better football team now than when they played Wisconsin. I think that is key

Southfew- It depends if you consider that 2007 class Mason's or Brewster's. It's probabaly not fair to call it Brew's since he didn't have the season to recruit, you could argue it's not fair to Mason, since his commits may have signed elsewhere. If you discount that season entirely, the recruiting numbers still bode well for Brewster, if you are one who believes in Rivals ratings.

They get a touchdown instead of a field goal when they were on the 1 they win. They adjusted after that series and used Hoese in short yardage downs. They sure adjusted at halftime and made it a game. After these last two games Brewster is safe for two more years. The other thing is they are improving with each game this year. I think they are a much better football team now than when they played Wisconsin. I think that is key

So Illinois must be improving at a greater slope than us then?

Way to caught up

People get way to caught up in the 4 star this 3 star that. Yes its true the most successful programs likely have the higher recruiting classes. But the sign of a true coaching staff is to take the hand your dealt. Find there strong suits and coach the hell out of them. That is what the best head coaches do adjust and prepare. Something ours has no clue how to do.

His second (2009), 3.

I'm in the keep Brew camp, but are we actually supposed to look at his 4* commits as a reason to keep him on after 2009? Of the 7 from 2008 1 never plays, 1 never made it to campus and 1 is done after this season. I have high hopes for Cooper, Green and Gray, and I hope Sam can contribute, but Pittman, Simmons and Hill aren't relevant to the discussion. Our 3 from 2009 include an 8th string WR and someone we need to re-recruit after next season, hardly what I'd be trumpeting as a key point in keeping him on.

You're certainly entitled to you opinion, but I honestly don't know how anyone can say this game shows improvement over the Sconi game. Against Sconi the Gophers dominated the first half against a team that is better than the Illinois. The Badgers were lucky to be as close as they were but clearly made better adjustments at half time to win a close game.

To say the Gophers made halftime adjustments today is being FAR too kind. The difference is the Gophers were blown out in the first half. Since, unlike against Sconi, this had the makings of a blowout, you could make just as good an argument that Illinois came out soft trying to coast to an easy win in the second half. The Gophers never led, against an Illinois team without it's best talent, and had to make a strong effort to get it close at home. I wouldn't brag too much about today's game being an improvement over much of anything.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad the Gophers rallied. It made the game much more entertaining to watch. However, it hardly qualifies as improvement.

I work at for the Stadium in the operations department so I get some behind the scenes access. Every sunday after games Brew has recruits in his pretty little suite for breakfast. I usually get to have some left overs from that, but this past sunday they actually had a full house up there and all the food was gone! Over the course of the season more and more recruits have been showing up. Brewster is gettin kids into our facility! All he needs to do learn how to coach these kids and we'll be doing just fine by 2011.

>>I'm not necessarily sold on Brewster being the savior he came in selling himself as...<<

With the passing of Billy Mays, the perfect job opened up for Brewster.

We can't fire Brewster period!! If we fire him, without giving him a chance to build his program with his recruits, we will never get a top notch proven coach.....They will not come. If they know that the coach gets 5 yrs. to make his mark they will give us a look, otherwise not. I think he is doing the right thing by not throwing all the recruits in right away and redshirting them and bringing them along like OSU and PS. So when they are Jr. and Sr. they will be in the same game. If they are not then he has to go. But we must live with the developement for at least 2 more yrs. Right off the top of my head his biggest blunder is COSGROVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesnt help that we keep bringing in these highly touted recruits for a certain system then change it every year....

I cannot see Maturi/Bruininks firing Brewster at the end of this year. They need to give him at least 4 years for a number of reasons:
1) so that he has the opportunity to play with 95% of the starters being "his" players - that's only fair.
2) I can't recall how many years are left in the Monson/Mason buyouts, but we can't afford to keep ex-coaches (including Dunbar) on the payroll;
3) It will be hard enough to hire a quality coach in the future; adding the reputation that we have zero patience for improvement will make it that much harder.

His second (2009), 3.

your an idiot! fire a coach after 3 years...maybe we should cut the football program in general that way you and your other stupid fire brewster clowns won't be disappointed when we don't win the big ten title in 3 years when taking over a below average program! again your dumb!

People get way to caught up in the 4 star this 3 star that. Yes its true the most successful programs likely have the higher recruiting classes. But the sign of a true coaching staff is to take the hand your dealt. Find there strong suits and coach the hell out of them. That is what the best head coaches do adjust and prepare. Something ours has no clue how to do.

maybe you should apply because its obvious you know more about it than brewster. maybe you could start a thread about all the successful kids you developed and what programs they play for, or maybe the nfl talent you produced with your knowledge!

Michigan State solidified his future for next year. He can get spanked 55-0 against Iowa again and still be back. Coach Brewster should be expected to make USC, PSU, and OSU competitive games next year, and he needs to beat either Iowa this year or Wisconsin next year for the first time. Don't get embarrassed against the big three and win a rivalry game. I don't think Maturi will send him into year 5 on the recruiting trial without an extension and will let him go first if he can't extend him. I think he'll be gone or extended by November 1 next year.

Give it one cycle. If the Gophers aren't playing on New Year's Day by the time Brewster's first full recruiting class are seniors, then it's probably time to move on.

your an idiot! fire a coach after 3 years...maybe we should cut the football program in general that way you and your other stupid fire brewster clowns won't be disappointed when we don't win the big ten title in 3 years when taking over a below average program! again your dumb!
When you're calling someone an idiot you'd be well served to use you're instead of your. :|

When you're calling someone an idiot you'd be well served to use you're instead of your. :|

I also used improper punctuation and lower case letters. I guess I will try and be more proper when I quickly post on a msg board. maybe use a spell check and proof read everything in and out.

maybe you should apply because its obvious you know more about it than brewster. maybe you could start a thread about all the successful kids you developed and what programs they play for, or maybe the nfl talent you produced with your knowledge!

Don't remember staking a claim that I was a coach. Don't remember saying I know more than Brewster just stating the obvious. It does not matter the recruits you get if you can't coach them up.

Its nice that you can come up with a open explanation of why my opinion is wrong. Instead resort to the old, why don't you do it.

Michigan State solidified his future for next year. He can get spanked 55-0 against Iowa again and still be back. Coach Brewster should be expected to make USC, PSU, and OSU competitive games next year, and he needs to beat either Iowa this year or Wisconsin next year for the first time. Don't get embarrassed against the big three and win a rivalry game. I don't think Maturi will send him into year 5 on the recruiting trial without an extension and will let him go first if he can't extend him. I think he'll be gone or extended by November 1 next year.

I agree with that. I have always felt that he needs that time unless he fails to run a clean program.

For those impatient fans go ahead and fire a coach after three years and see who applies. I can envision Maturi introducing the next Gopher coach as lets welcome Coach _____! Who?

Not to nit-pick, but isn't that exactly what Maturi did 3 years ago? Introduce Coach Who?
Frankly, I thought the basketball hire might have saved the AD's job, because the football hire was definitely a reach. Still hope it works out, but he hired a recruiter. There is no strong evidence yet that he hired a Big Ten caliber coach.

Not to nit-pick, but isn't that exactly what Maturi did 3 years ago? Introduce Coach Who?
Frankly, I thought the basketball hire might have saved the AD's job, because the football hire was definitely a reach. Still hope it works out, but he hired a recruiter. There is no strong evidence yet that he hired a Big Ten caliber coach.

That basically sums it up for a lot of us I think. We don't want Brewster canned, but we are very concerned to find that we are merely hoping he's a good coach. As of yet, the data doesn't exactly let us sleep well at night...

Wow! Thoughtful thread after a disappointing loss. I agree with both wels and tato who lead off the thread. The program has been going in fits-and-starts this year. The MSU win was a start and the Illinois loss a fit.

I agree that we need to establish an identity. Hopefully Davis sticks around and can coach up the offensive line. I don't have the big problem with the Cosgrove/Lee combination on defense as I think the defense has been playing okay. I'm not going to pick on one player, but Trey Simmons hasn't played particularly well this season and the tackling in the defensive backfield is spotty.

Fisch was an okay hire, but I still think he's trying to find his way through things. I only listened to the game yesterday, but I still think his play-calling is puzzling at times (and not because some plays don't work). Couldn't figure out why they were trying to go deep as often as they did.

Anyway, I think Brewster is here for at least a couple more years and I think if the consistency/identity thing gets established, we'll be alright.

Top Bottom