"Brewster's future positively in question"

He simply stated his goals for the program. It is where he intends to go. There is no metric as it hasn't been done in modern days. The only question is if the program is improving on a year to year basis. Outcomes are a result of input. As long as we are improving we are on target and nobody can say when the magic happens.

In relation to his proclamation all that needs to be answered is if the program is closer this year than last. And I'm not talking about the record, I'm talking about the strength of the program. Depth, speed, athleticism, retention, consistency. Records will ebb and flow, but how is the program doing? If it is improving we are on the path to Pasadena.

In relation to his proclamation all that needs to be answered is if the program is closer this year than last. And I'm not talking about the record, I'm talking about the strength of the program. Depth, speed, athleticism, retention, consistency. Records will ebb and flow, but how is the program doing? If it is improving we are on the path to Pasadena.
I agree with that. Emphasizing too much on record would be a mistake given the variance of schedule strength from year to year.

You're resorting to ad hominem and attempting to marginalize me because you don't like what I have to say.

Do you even know what ad hominem means? YOU are the one making the ad hominem argument!! You don't like Brewster, so therefore by extension, according to you, everything he says is open to mock and ridicule. That is ad hominem down to a T!

I also don't understand how that quote loses any meaning or takes on any new meaning removed from the context of his presser. It's a bold proclamation, which is good, and what exactly that means in terms of metrics and milestones is of course up for interpretation.

Like I've already said, "sooner or later" means nothing! It's a throwaway quote! You're attempting to attach a concrete definition to a statement which was purposely vague! It's pointless and arbitrary! It's akin to attempting to quantify "a lot".

This is the only relevant portion of the quote: "We're going to win the Big Ten championship." Like I said, if that is too much for you, I'm sure Glen Mason is available.

I also don't know what facts I've blatantly misstated, so if you could point them out to me I'd be happy to address them.

You're attempting to hold Brewster accountable for things he never said. If that's not misstating the facts, I don't know what is.

I really don't think anything I said necessitated such an uncivil response.

It's obviously not just this post, and don't attempt to be naïve and act like it is. It's the result of your inability to be anything other than an insufferable dickhead. It started with your first post, and continues unabated to the present day.

When did I say I didn't like Brewster?

I suppose I just spent a bunch of time in Photoshop trying to come up with a fun way to show support for him because I hate him, right?

Honestly I'm sorry I seem to upset you so much but I do my best to conduct myself here in an even tempered manner and I'd appreciate the same treatment in return.

When did I say I didn't like Brewster?

I suppose I just spent a bunch of time in Photoshop trying to come up with a fun way to show support for him because I hate him, right?

Honestly I'm sorry I seem to upset you so much but I do my best to conduct myself here in an even tempered manner and I'd appreciate the same treatment in return.

Of course you didn't come right out and say "I hate Tim Brewster". You might as well hold a flashing neon sign over your head in that case.

But you have a pattern of coming back with something snarky, cynical, or otherwise negative anytime someone tries to defend Brewster. It doesn't take a genius to pick this up. It's quite easily discernible from even a cursory glance at your posting history.

The only thing I tend to harp on is when people attack posters who have different opinions. I'd like to think that since we're all Gopher fans here we can discuss things in a civil, thoughtful way. Seeing things descend into venom seems counterproductive to me. I have a little bit of devil's advocate in me, that's about it.

There have been a lot of legitimate trolls here and I don't like them either. It's unfortunate that I'm being lumped in with them but there's nothing I can do to change your perceptions.

The only thing I tend to harp on is when people attack posters who have different opinions. I'd like to think that since we're all Gopher fans here we can discuss things in a civil, thoughtful way. Seeing things descend into venom seems counterproductive to me. I have a little bit of devil's advocate in me, that's about it.

There have been a lot of legitimate trolls here and I don't like them either. It's unfortunate that I'm being lumped in with them but there's nothing I can do to change your perceptions.

So explain something to me. Why is it that you only defend the people who are posting negative things about Brewster? I have yet to see you defend a Brewster supporter. That's a little too convenient.

There's a factor that we just don't know ...

... and that's how Maturi and Bruininks feel about the "off-the-field" stuff and their personal relationships with Brewster.

(I still feel that's what ultimately caused them to drop Mason ... the bowl game against Texas Tech was a "convenient" opportunity. Mason's arrogance, the comments about the students in the last year and some stuff that built up over the ten years were tipping points, IMO.)

I don't see Maturi making a decision before the end of the season. I'd think Brewster stays unless either the team does very poorly or he's burned too many bridges with Maturi and Bruininks. Eventually we'll know about the former ... but we have no idea and can only speculate on the latter.

So explain something to me. Why is it that you only defend the people who are posting negative things about Brewster? I have yet to see you defend a Brewster supporter. That's a little too convenient.
I think that's selection bias on your part. One example I can think of was trying to explain why Weber shouldn't be judged harshly for the late game interceptions against Cal since he was forced into obvious passing situations against unfavorable coverage and was put in a position where he had no choice but to throw into coverage.

Making this thread about me is a little silly.

I think that's selection bias on your part. One example I can think of was trying to explain why Weber shouldn't be judged harshly for the late game interceptions against Cal since he was forced into obvious passing situations against unfavorable coverage and was put in a position where he had no choice but to throw into coverage.

Making this thread about me is a little silly.

And that has what to do with Brewster again?

The timing of this seemed a little strange at first, but really it's an article that only makes sense either before the first game, or the first conference game. Yes, the headline was worse then the article itself. You can find 50 other articles in the startribune today that do the same thing.

In general, Brewster the recruiter deserves more time, but only if Brewster the coach can prove he's competent in the meantime. He did not take over a terrible program, so I get tired of hearing heroic things thrown his way for the 'comeback' season last year. The 2007 team should not have gone 1-11, but that is in the past. Whether he recruited them or not, there is talent on this team, and a 2-10 or 3-9 season cannot be tolerated simply because not all of the players are 'his.'

Before the season, I would have 'graded' Brewster as follows given the tougher schedule:

8-4 or better: A--Brew gets his contract extension
7-5: B--Probably gets at least a one year extenstion to prevent damage to recruiting
6-6: C--Maturi probably just sits tight
5-7: D--60/40 on sitting tight/letting him go
4-8 or worse: F--Brew is probably fired

Nothing I've seen so far changes my opintion on this. I'm not a huge Brew fan, but I don't hate him either and I know the next guy can be worse just as easily as better. I hope we win at least 6 games and he buys himself more time.

I was not a huge Childress fan (OK I hated him as much as anyone) but I now can at least acknowledge that he's a medicore coach and I find him tolerable. Sometimes in a moment of frustration you think you want Mike Shanahan out and you end up with Josh McDaniels. Be careful what you wish for. I hope Brew continues to slowly change my opinion of him too.

Brewster will not be fired in the next year. You can bank on it!

The timing of this seemed a little strange at first, but really it's an article that only makes sense either before the first game, or the first conference game. Yes, the headline was worse then the article itself. You can find 50 other articles in the startribune today that do the same thing.

In general, Brewster the recruiter deserves more time, but only if Brewster the coach can prove he's competent in the meantime. He did not take over a terrible program, so I get tired of hearing heroic things thrown his way for the 'comeback' season last year. The 2007 team should not have gone 1-11, but that is in the past. Whether he recruited them or not, there is talent on this team, and a 2-10 or 3-9 season cannot be tolerated simply because not all of the players are 'his.'

Before the season, I would have 'graded' Brewster as follows given the tougher schedule:

7-5: B--Probably gets at least a one year extenstion to prevent damage to recruiting

Nothing I've seen so far changes my opintion on this. I'm not a huge Brew fan, but I don't hate him either and I know the next guy can be worse just as easily as better. I hope we win at least 6 games and he buys himself more time.

I was not a huge Childress fan (OK I hated him as much as anyone) but I now can at least acknowledge that he's a medicore coach and I find him tolerable. Sometimes in a moment of frustration you think you want Mike Shanahan out and you end up with Josh McDaniels. Be careful what you wish for. I hope Brew continues to slowly change my opinion of him too.

What do you think about DickRod at Michigan - should they have thrown him under the bus for his 3-win UM season? Was it worth them waiting for another year? If DickRod doesn't win the BT, should UM fire him?

The expectations of people like you are mind-boggling. Yes Brewster struggled that year, but Mason, with his own guys, was lucky as all hell in getting to 6 wins the previous season; and Mason's recruits who were maturing worsened badly in Mason's last few years. Had Brewster achieved 6 wins that year, he should have been hailed as a hero. That said, 1 win was awful; but let's face it, the defense had very few quality D-1 players on it that year, and the defense caused almost all of those 11 losses. Defense is very hard to coach without quality athletes.

The Gophers would certainly have had more than 7 wins last year had Decker not sprained his ankle and had Weber not had his knee injury. Those two injuries were team-killers.

Do you guys know something I don't? Does Brewster have an extension? Have we won any games of significance? How is his future not in question? I like Brewster, I think he'll turn it around, but that question exists.

As always it's the implication that is at the heart of the discussion. Is Maturi hovering with an axe over Brews head? Or is Brewster in the same situation as any other 3rd year coach with the honeymoon wearing off. By the head line the impication is the first, a "he better win or else" message. The reality is that the coach needs to keep showing progress in building the program as any coach does. Nothing any more ominous than that. In fact less so, as Maturi feels the program is making nice strides. He simply acknowledges what we all know and that at some point that has to translate to real wins and a real shot at the B10 title.

Quite frankly without the Ruesse's of the world tainting everything so, this article probably gets no negative reaction. I hope the Strib is starting to see the damage that unprofessional behavior does to the entire sports section, and sports community.

The longer you wait for an extension on Brewster the bigger the risk. If Brewster goes 8-4 or better this season, many on here think we should then offer him an extension. If he goes 8-4 or better this season, the bigger question will be does he sign an extension. This is a two way street and showing loyalty is a two way street. The timing has to be good or bad things will happen either way. Waiting until there is absolutely no doubt that a guy is going to do a great job only exposes the program to losing a coach. You have to know the coach will be great before it shows up and show loyalty to him, that will keep a coach. Some on here think the U is the only place Brewster can work. Waiting too long could be a serious mistake.

It's tricky isn't it. You don't want to expose the U to another buyout. At the same time you don't want to hobble the program by having what might appear to be a lack of committment by admin. Personally I think they have to do something this off-season, but I think maybe Maturi feels he has another year before he has to act.

FWIW, I painstakingly worked my way through 97 or so posts in the Strib Re: the article and my take was about 2/3 were pro-Brewster. There were a good number of the silly Dungy being the coach posts, Wrens usual 7 or 8 babbles, etc.

Some one else can do what I did but it appears the public realizes that Coach Brewster deserves more time, there is a solid opinion that the article was poorly timed, unrealistic and really lacked a purpose.

Thanks for that leg work Bayfield. In the end if people get enough facts and info they generally come to good conclusions even if you have to turn down the volume on the squeaky wheels to hear it.

Agree Schnoodler.

No doubt Coach Brewster has made his own bed. But he is what he is! And there are those who won't get beyond his initial year which wasn't good in many ways. And the 55-0 aSS kicking Iowa put on us. But that is history and its only fair to move on and attempt to evaluate the current situation and what is reasonable to expect down the road. I have always appreciated what Coach Brewster has brought to the program in spite of his shortcomings. But I like his attitude and it appears his team has bought into his style.

No matter, there will come a time when he needs to be accountable for his oft communicated lofty goals and expectations. But its really unfair to put this on him barely going into his 3rd season, especially being 2-1 and holding their own for 3 quarters against a quality Cal squad. I don't understand the reason for the article and the timing is very strange.

A W at NU will quiet the dissenters for the time being but I'm afraid Craig and the Strib may have created a monster.

Top Bottom