Brewster Announces Hammock Promotion to co-Off Cord, Hightower Departure

If Hightower was let go, was Brew blowing smoke when he told Sid that for the first time since he got here in 2007, he will have the same coordinators and other assistant coaches in back-to-back seasons? Or did something happen or not happen in the last few weeks to cause Hightower to be let go?

Brew blow smoke? C'mon

If Hightower was let go, was Brew blowing smoke when he told Sid that for the first time since he got here in 2007, he will have the same coordinators and other assistant coaches in back-to-back seasons? Or did something happen or not happen in the last few weeks to cause Hightower to be let go?
It's probably just as likely Sid was having that conversation with a coat rack.

1. I think you should look at other programs. Asst. coaches move around every year. This is no big deal.

2. Hammock has been a loyal employee and a good recruiter. Making him Co-coordinator is a way of increasing his pay. If you increase his pay as a RB coach, you start throwing off the whole staff pay structure.

A tweet from Chip Scoggins:

"Let me get this straight: The Gophers now have an OC, a co-OC, a run game coordinator, 2 co-def. coordinators and an associate head coach."

Go Gophers!!

A tweet from Chip Scoggins:

"Let me get this straight: The Gophers now have an OC, a co-OC, a run game coordinator, 2 co-def. coordinators and an associate head coach."

Go Gophers!!

I think one thing that may be missed here is that these titles are a way to justify pay increases rather than a disbursement of duties normally held traditional by a coordinator.

isnt Hightower one of the reasons why Calvin phillips came here??

Hightower was a horrific recruiter. I don't think he brought anyone in this year except Allen Veazie.

Hard to like this "co-coordinator" stuff. Let one guy take over with some authority and get the damned offense moving. What is Brewster's thing of having "co-coordinators"?

My guess, and I have no inside information, is that Hammock was being approached by another program and to keep him, they had to promote him.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

The running backs didn't exactly set the world on fire the past two years and he gets a promotion??

This just gets more comical every day. Three d coordinators in three years. Three o coordinators in soon to be four seasons. Have an offensive coordinator then bring in a running game coordinator. Co-defensive coordinators. Co-offensive coordinators. Run the spread, switch to pro style. QB at his best when he can run so make sure he's anchored in the pocket. Recruit one of the best spread high school QBs in the country then switch the offense up entirely. Now our new co-offensive coordinator gets a promotion because he can supposedly recruit (even though he has yet to recruit a viable back), not because he has shown a darn thing coaching running backs.

It's a Chinese fire drill.

Dumb

I don't claim to be any sort of an expert, but it was quite obvious in the game after decker and then green got hurt that the next tier of receivers didn't know their routes. I know that it was a step up for those guys, but they only play one position and the coach only has one responsibilty and that is to know how to play their position. All of the receivers should be able to step in and run a post route. That has to fall on the coaching, all of the players at this level should be able to make the correct cuts, etc...

Good point. Having two defensive coordinators, two offensive coordinators, a running game coordinator and an associate head coach doesn't reek of panic/incompetence/desparation. Just look at that idiot Ferentz...in his second decade with the same coordinators...like that would ever work.

Good point. Having two defensive coordinators, two offensive coordinators, a running game coordinator and an associate head coach doesn't reek of panic/incompetence/desparation. Just look at that idiot Ferentz...in his second decade with the same coordinators...like that would ever work.

I don't think your characterizations are accurate or fair. Ferentz's situation is totally different. He walked into an established and stable program in which he had strong ties already. Brewster may not be perfect, and he has shown his inexperience at times, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it out to be. I don't think Brewster is pannicking, but he knows this is his make or break season and he isn't taking chances with his coaching staff. I'm gonna predict next fall we flop or we surprise; either 4-8 or 8-4.

Good point. Having two defensive coordinators, two offensive coordinators, a running game coordinator and an associate head coach doesn't reek of panic/incompetence/desperation. Just look at that idiot Ferentz...in his second decade with the same coordinators...like that would ever work.

Who cares? They are just titles, titles don't mean anything. I don't care if they are all called Head Coach of..

[B said:
Gopherprof;183441]It's probably just as likely Sid was having that conversation with a coat rack.
[/B]

this line made me laugh for about 5 minutes, my tummy hurts!

Any rumors on who the Gophers are looking at for replacement WR coaches?

Top Bottom