Brew's visit with Seantrel

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
According to Shooter Now posted today:

"Sean Henderson, father of Associated Press Minnesota high school football player of the year Seantrel Henderson of Cretin-Derham Hall, said this morning that a home visit by Gophers coach Tim Brewster and offensive line coach Tim Davis on Tuesday evening "went great."
"Minnesota's our home school," Sean said. "Coach Brewster has been following Seantrel since he was a freshman and actually was the first coach to offer him a scholarship. So we'll always have a lot of respect for coach Brewster and the Gophers' program."

The elder Henderson said Brewster emphasized the importance of staying home during the 2 1/2-hour meeting at the Hendersons' south Minneapolis home.

"He said that everything's here for Seantrel and how big and important it would be to the people of Minnesota if he stayed home," Sean said. "He said that the Gophers are building something now and they wanted him with them to win a Big Ten title and possibly a national championship in the next few years."

Sean said Seantrel, who visits Southern California this weekend, still has no favorites and doesn't plan to announce his decision until Feb. 3.

Brewster followed up on Tuesday evening's visit by waking Sean up at 7:45 this morning to say how much he enjoyed the meeting."

Brewster followed up on Tuesday evening's visit by waking Sean up at 7:45 this morning to say how much he enjoyed the meeting."

lol

but in all it sounds like he maybe made an impact on his father, he sounds less one-sided about USC lately.

I truly don't believe that Brewster can be blamed for any recruit not committing to Minnesota. There are so many factors in a players decision. Weather, location, exposure, the program, etc. Brewster gives us a real shot at alot of the recruits he and other coaches want

I heard his visit was outstanding. Or maybe it was tremendous.

If you read the responses from the recruits who commit to us, they mention Brew by name. Not the coaches are great, but Brew is great. Brew's strength is his salesmanship. It's the one thing that continues to give me hope.

"Minnesota's our home school," is the line that makes me think there could still be a chance says the guy who goes to school 11 hours away.

It would be a pretty big feather in Brewster's cap if he landed Seantrel Henderson. I think if he can't get him, you can't blame him on it. He really tried hard on this one.

encourage

don't discourage. we are being considered so lets be gracious for that.

It would be a pretty big feather in Brewster's cap if he landed Seantrel Henderson. I think if he can't get him, you can't blame him on it. He really tried hard on this one.

JoeDirt
Member Join Date: Jun 2009

"I truly don't believe that Brewster can be blamed for any recruit not committing to Minnesota. There are so many factors in a players decision. Weather, location, exposure, the program, etc. Brewster gives us a real shot at alot of the recruits he and other coaches want"

It is quotes such as these two above that have me curious why Brewster is given the benefit of the doubt on his in-state recruiting failures :confused:

JoeDirt

"I truly don't believe that Brewster can be blamed for any recruit not committing to Minnesota. There are so many factors in a players decision. Weather, location, exposure, the program, etc. Brewster gives us a real shot at alot of the recruits he and other coaches want"

It is quotes such as these two above that have me curious why Brewster is given the benefit of the doubt on his in-state recruiting failures :confused:

Probably because he's had some wins (Maresh, Gjere, Edwards) on guys who absolutely could have gone to much more prestigious programs and didn't. These are the type of guys Mason wouldn't have even bothered with, or vice versa - they wouldn't have even bothered with him.

JoeDirt

I will explain mine for you. I give him the benefit of the doubt because my biggest complaint with Mason's recruiting was he didn't try hard enough. He was lazy and in the end it probably cost him his job as well as a trip to a better bowl game. If Mason treated recruiting like Brewster does, he would have had a lot better defense!! Anyways, I have faulted Brewster for several things but at the very least, I think he is trying as hard as he can in recruiting. If he doesn't get him, it won't be because Henderson didn't hear everything possible about the U of M.

JoeDirt

Certaintly Brew loses recruits, but I was only trying to say that if a recruit goes elsewhere, that it hasn't been in spite of our coach. All the players being recruited, committed to us or not, seem to love Brew.

:clap:
I heard his visit was outstanding. Or maybe it was tremendous.

I know it should't since it's hardly the first time, but that gave me a good chuckle.

Must give Brewster credit for his recruiting. Would Mason even have bothered or maybe he would have been Jim Tressel's guy on the ground in MN?

The Super Recruiter Looks Like A Myth

This is one of my frustrations. Brew was brought here and tabbed as a "Super Recruiter" by everybody and his brother from Maturi to Lemming to Mack Brown, not as an average recruiter. We are giving him credit for trying?!? "Well he really tried hard to get Seantrel so that is all you can ask." Just because he made a home visit? That is what we get from our so called Super Recruiter? All coaches make home visits. Good grief. If he is as good of a recruiter as we heard upon his arrival in 07 he needs to land the big-time kids in the home state. That was why we all were so excited about his hire. I gave him a pass on Floyd cause it was late in the game when he got here, but good grief, what is he hanging his hat on, Sam Maresh? Anybody can lose home state kids, but a super recruiter keeps them. I am already not impressed with him as a coach, so he sure as hell needs to start impressing me as a recuiter. Giving him a pass on kids that don't stay here because he tried hard is ridiculous.

I really don't think he needs to do anything for you.

Shooter follow

From Shooter:

Seantrel Henderson, the Associated Press Minnesota high school football player of the year, said Wednesday that a home visit by Gophers coach Tim Brewster and offensive line coach Tim Davis on Tuesday evening "went great."

"Minnesota's our home school; coach Brewster has been following Seantrel since he was a freshman and actually was the first coach to offer him a scholarship," Sean said. "So we'll always have a lot of respect for coach Brewster and the Gophers program."

The elder Henderson said Brewster emphasized the importance of staying home during the 2 1/2-hour meeting at the Hendersons' South Minneapolis home.

"He said that everything's here for Seantrel and how big and important it would be to the people of Minnesota if he stayed home," Sean said. "He said that the Gophers are building something now and they wanted him with them to win a Big Ten title and possibly a national championship in the next few years."

Sean said Seantrel, who visits Southern California this weekend, still has no favorites and doesn't plan to announce his decision until Feb. 3.

Brewster followed up on Tuesday evening's visit by waking Sean up at 7:45 a.m. Wednesday to say how much he enjoyed the meeting.

AND

Word is Southern California plans to put out the red carpet for 6-foot-8, 335-pound Cretin-Derham Hall offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson when he makes a recruiting visit this weekend during USC's nationally televised (ABC) game against Arizona.

FINALLY IN OVERHEARD

Sean Henderson, father of Seantrel, on Gophers coach Tim Brewster waking Sean up Wednesday morning to say he enjoyed a recruiting visit to Henderson's home the night before: "That was a good follow-up. Coach Brewster's on top of the job."

This is one of my frustrations. Brew was brought here and tabbed as a "Super Recruiter" by everybody and his brother from Maturi to Lemming to Mack Brown, not as an average recruiter. We are giving him credit for trying?!? "Well he really tried hard to get Seantrel so that is all you can ask." Just because he made a home visit? That is what we get from our so called Super Recruiter? All coaches make home visits. Good grief. If he is as good of a recruiter as we heard upon his arrival in 07 he needs to land the big-time kids in the home state. That was why we all were so excited about his hire. I gave him a pass on Floyd cause it was late in the game when he got here, but good grief, what is he hanging his hat on, Sam Maresh? Anybody can lose home state kids, but a super recruiter keeps them. I am already not impressed with him as a coach, so he sure as hell needs to start impressing me as a recuiter. Giving him a pass on kids that don't stay here because he tried hard is ridiculous.

He couldn't even recruit one of his own kids to play for him. Yeah, Nolan Brewster had always dreamed of playing for Texas blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. That's a common response for the runner-up.

Must give Brewster credit for his recruiting. Would Mason even have bothered or maybe he would have been Jim Tressel's guy on the ground in MN?

Mason would have spent half the 2 1/2 hours talking about Ohio State, and if Seantrel didn't pick Minnesota, it would do his heart proud to see him go to OSU.

A "Super Recruiter", to me, means that all things being equal he gets better recruits to go to his school. For instance, if Brew coached at FIU or Idaho or something would you say he isn't a "Super Recruiter" because he didn't get Seantrel Henderson to go there? No, because there's no fricken way you'd expect him to. As long as he fills the roster with classes that are better than most coaches could get AT THE SAME SCHOOL, I think that would be a "Super Recruiter." When he brags about getting Vince Young, a lot of people say "Well how hard is it to recruit to Texas?" but he still had to beat out some other great schools and it shows you what he can do when put on an even playing field with the big boys.

Mason would have spent half the 2 1/2 hours talking about Ohio State, and if Seantrel didn't pick Minnesota, it would do his heart proud to see him go to OSU.

+1 with a bullet. That provided me with my first good laugh of the day.

He couldn't even recruit one of his own kids to play for him. Yeah, Nolan Brewster had always dreamed of playing for Texas blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. That's a common response for the runner-up.

I thought it was common knowledge that Nolan Brewster told his dad that he would come play for him if he told him to. Tim left Nolan to his own devices, let him make his own decision, and didn't goad him in any particular way, because it's his son, not some kid who lives halfway across the country who you have to wheel and deal with on an NCAA allotted timeframe. This was handled in probably the classiest way possible.

A "Super Recruiter", to me, means that all things being equal he gets better recruits to go to his school. For instance, if Brew coached at FIU or Idaho or something would you say he isn't a "Super Recruiter" because he didn't get Seantrel Henderson to go there? No, because there's no fricken way you'd expect him to. As long as he fills the roster with classes that are better than most coaches could get AT THE SAME SCHOOL, I think that would be a "Super Recruiter." When he brags about getting Vince Young, a lot of people say "Well how hard is it to recruit to Texas?" but he still had to beat out some other great schools and it shows you what he can do when put on an even playing field with the big boys.

I couldn't agree more. Yes, recruiting to Texas is probably easier than recruiting to the University of Idaho, BUT when you are recruiting to Texas, you are recruiting against the best of the best - his final college choices were Arkansas, FSU, Kansas St, LSU, and Miami. It is a lot different than recrutiing your average Minnesota kid who has offers from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and some non-BCS schools.

I thought it was common knowledge that Nolan Brewster told his dad that he would come play for him if he told him to. Tim left Nolan to his own devices, let him make his own decision, and didn't goad him in any particular way, because it's his son, not some kid who lives halfway across the country who you have to wheel and deal with on an NCAA allotted timeframe. This was handled in probably the classiest way possible.

You have to remember to who you are responding here...to Art class is just one of those things he thinks brewster's recruits don't go to....

Some required reading for you:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/

While there, pay particular attention to the rankings of Minnesota's recruiting classes both before and after Brewster was hired. Further, note the Gophers' annual finish in on-field standings, and compare it to where they finished that season in the recruiting rankings.

After you have educated yourself, perhaps you can come back here and have an enlightened discussion. As it is, it is quite difficult to converse with you, what with your head so firmly ensconced in your rectal cavity and all.

As for you, please log off your computer, get in your car, start it, and drive off the nearest bridge embankment. Thanks in advance!

Some required reading for you:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/

While there, pay particular attention to the rankings of Minnesota's recruiting classes both before and after Brewster was hired. Further, note the Gophers' annual finish in on-field standings, and compare it to where they finished that season in the recruiting rankings.

After you have educated yourself, perhaps you can come back here and have an enlightened discussion. As it is, it is quite difficult to converse with you, what with your head so firmly ensconced in your rectal cavity and all.

As for you, please log off your computer, get in your car, start it, and drive off the nearest bridge embankment. Thanks in advance!

You know, you can be a real condescending prick sometimes.

But so can I. And when you're right, you're right! :clap:

Top Bottom