Brevyn Spann-Ford

I think he's playing through an injury or some mental health issue. It's the only explanation that makes any sense to me. I can understand dropping a pass or two here and there, but he was a devastating blocker last year -- like near the top of the nation -- and he looks so inept this year. That part of the game is about technique, knowledge of the system, and heart...and those three things just don't disappear. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that something will come out eventually.

It's painful to watch. The ball hits his hands and goes straight to the turf. I'm sure that they are told to concentrate and watch the ball all the way into their hands. He might be over thinking.
More painful to than Crooms?

A pet peeve of mine with coaches/fans/scouts/analysts is with the over-emphasis on “measurables” with quarterbacks and wide receivers. What I mean by are the following: Size, speed, strength, quickness, vertical jump, (arm/passing strength for QBs).

There are two other things that matter most, by far. For QBs, passing accuracy. For WR’s, catching ability. I don’t give a rip about any of the other things if they aren’t GREAT at those two. Period. By the time a kid is finished with high school, you either have it or you don’t. I don’t believe those two things can be easily taught. Did Fran Tarkenton have many of those measurable? Not so much. How about Adam Thielen? Nope.

Adam Thielen ran a 4.45 40 and had a 36" vertical leap. He absolutely had the measurables. Tarkenton last played 45 years ago.

There are plenty of examples of highly productive college players who didn't have the measurables to be high level NFL players, like Tyler Johnson. DK Metcalf put up pretty pedestrian college numbers, then blew up at the combine. He's turning out alright.

Adam Thielen ran a 4.45 40 and had a 36" vertical leap. He absolutely had the measurables. Tarkenton last played 45 years ago.

There are plenty of examples of highly productive college players who didn't have the measurables to be high level NFL players, like Tyler Johnson. DK Metcalf put up pretty pedestrian college numbers, then blew up at the combine. He's turning out alright.
100% measurables were the one thing Thielen had.

Just keep playing finding ways to win and he will have a big contribution before the year is over.

Jackson was about the only competent receiver yesterday when the ball was catchable.
Ideally this is correct

There is a reason he wasn’t an every down player early in his career

Put Spann-ford in backfield what w all injuries to RBs. Let him toast a few blitzing linebackers, and since he can't catch the ball, hand it off every now and then to see what he can do.

What other game did Crooms have trouble? Every time they’ve thrown to BSF something bad happens.
I’m confused about the people going after Crooms as well. I’m sure he has had a drop or two prior to the Iowa game, but has been one of our better receivers to this point in the season.

I’m confused about the people going after Crooms as well. I’m sure he has had a drop or two prior to the Iowa game, but has been one of our better receivers to this point in the season.
Probably 2nd best after Jackson. Although that’s not saying much

Probably 2nd best after Jackson. Although that’s not saying much
Yeah, and Crooms has made some tough catches and been put in some tough spots to make some others that he almost came up with. In my opinion Crooms has been a really nice pickup. The somewhat disappointing one is the lack of impact Spencer has had to this point. After the spring game it sure seemed like he was going to be a bigger factor in the passing game but he has been pretty much non-existent through 7 games.

Much is due to the mediocre passing numbers we have had to this point but still expected to see him play more of a role in whatever passing game we have. To this point it is pretty much just Jackson, Crooms or a running back out of the backfield.

I have no doubt that nobody is more frustrated by the drops than BSF himself.
Very nice kid and wants to contribute, no doubt he is disappointed but he will keep working at it.

Top Bottom