Bret Bielema Press Conference ahead of MN.

Cool Moment at the 7:30 Mark.

Reporter asks BB if he has a different feeling against MN compared to other Big Ten schools because BB played at Iowa and Coached at Wisconsin. Talks about Floyd and Paul Bunyan Axe. Shared that the Minnesota game is a "rivalry game"

Cool Moment at the 7:30 Mark.

Reporter asks BB if he has a different feeling against MN compared to other Big Ten schools because BB played at Iowa and Coached at Wisconsin. Talks about Floyd and Paul Bunyan Axe. Shared that the Minnesota game is a "rivalry game"
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with having more rivalry games but I'm not going to lie beating this schmuck would be icing on the cake.

He BB is a good football coach. One thing you can always expect from a Bielema coached team is they find one glaring weakness on film and they will absolutely hammer it, until you adjust. If they find a lineman or back that struggles they will overload blitzers. That and they will always give you an offensive look that they have not shown in another game. I would be willing to bet you will see a lot of counters, and fly sweep motion, and certainly passes to wheel routes out of the backfield. Illinois likes to throw the ball on quick outs and on wheel routes to there tailbacks. I expect that WR that burned us a lot last year to see a lot of balls thrown his way by the OLE MISS transfer QB.

You can expect unexpected play action and a five man front from them to try and confuse AK. BB always cooks up a tough game plan against the Gophers. I doubt this year will be any different. Illinois is a better football team than their record, they let Wisconsin off the hook in that game. ILL has a very large physical offensive line reminiscent of those WI Oline's that Bielema used to recruit. Expecting a very tough physical football game on Saturday, definitely no cake walk that is for sure. This will be a slap the chin strap on game because there is going to be some hitting from two teams that do not like each other. ILL knows we recruit their backyard a lot. I think our Head coaches respect each other, but Bielema he expects to beat MN.

Last edited:

He BB is a good football coach. One thing you can always expect from a Bielema coached team is they find one glaring weakness on film and they will absolutely hammer it, until you adjust. If they find a lineman or back that struggles they will overload blitzers. That and they will always give you an offensive look that they have not shown in another game. I would be willing to bet you will see a lot of counters, and fly sweep motion, and certainly passes to wheel routes out of the backfield. Illinois likes to throw the ball on quick outs and on wheel routes to there tailbacks. I expect that WR that burned us a lot last year to see a lot of balls thrown his way by the OLE MISS transfer QB.

You can expect unexpected play action and a five man front from them to try and confuse AK. BB always cooks up a tough game plan against the Gophers. I doubt this year will be any different. Illinois is a better football team than their record, they let Wisconsin off the hook in that game. ILL has a very large physical offensive line reminiscent of those WI Oline's that Bielema used to recruit. Expecting a very tough physical football game on Saturday, definitely no cake walk that is for sure. This will be a slap the chin strap on game because there is going to be some hitting from two teams that do not like each other. ILL knows we recruit their backyard a lot. I think our Head coaches respect each other, but Bielema he expects to beat MN.
This is a perfect opportunity for Fleck to get this monkey off the Goph's back.

Top Bottom