Breaking News: 2 recruits not coming, and a transfer coming

Sid Hartman

Banned
Reaction score
From Sid @ Star Tribune

Defensive backs Herschel Thornton and Dwight Tillman of Lackawanna College signed to play for the Gophers, but they are facing academic problems and aren't likely to be on campus this fall. ... Brendan Beal, a top- recruited linebacker from Bangor, Pa., who enrolled at the University of Florida, is now going to transfer to the Gophers. He will have to sit out a year as a transfer before being eligible to play.

Beal is interesting, if it's true he's coming here. The guy had a very impressive offer list, looks like he's been battling some injuries. \

No one will ever be able to plausably say that Coach Brewster and his Staff failed to come back from taking one on the chin. They are always working on the next man up. I Love It. Big Time College Football Recruiting is not for the faint of heart. Some guys willl make it here and do well and others will not. The ones that do deserve Gopher Nation support but we have no time to cry over spilled milk. We really are trying to get to a Rose Bowl.

more on Beal

More on Beal. First off Sid is the only one reporting this so buyer beware right now although somebody obviously fed him this info or else he would have no idea who this kid is.

He certianly would come in with credentials like no other MN kid in a long time. He suffered a pretty bad ACL tear in his knee which caused him to miss two years, both of which he redshirted so he would sit one season at his new school (MN?) and have three more years to play.

Pretty bad quality but some video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sduz4nwvsmo

Beal was a **** on Rivals, #73 overall, #3 ILB
He was a **** on Scout, #103 overall, #6 SLB
ESPN gave him an 81 rating and #133 overall, #10 LB

He had many offers but most notable from Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, Boston College, Penn State, Pitt, Miami(FL), and LSU.

He visited Florida, USC, BC, and LSU but in the end it came down to Florida and USC.

He'd be an excellent addition if his injury isn't chronic.

Man, I hope Sid is right on this one, just watched a 7 min. video clip of Beal from this spring shot by the Florida people and he looks healthy and really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0-S9Aml8C0

He looks to be running just fine to me(1:59 mark on) and is just killing people in this (the hit on the pick at around 3:55).

He is one big hombre.

I watched this and thought to myself, "if he has enough people ahead of him that he's going to transfer, how good are Florida's other guys?!!!"

No one will ever be able to plausably say that Coach Brewster and his Staff failed to come back from taking one on the chin. They are always working on the next man up. I Love It. Big Time College Football Recruiting is not for the faint of heart. Some guys willl make it here and do well and others will not. The ones that do deserve Gopher Nation support but we have no time to cry over spilled milk. We really are trying to get to a Rose Bowl.

+1

That offer list combined with that film is really impressive. As Stargenes and others have noted, I love how Brewster never stops swinging for the fences.

Wasn't there someone else who was transferring?

Who has to sit out a year? Isn't this guy the second or third transfer in the last few months? Thanks.

Because they have done so awesome in past taking in other programs castaways....

God damn that geriatric for jerking me around AGAIN. Fool me once shame on you, fool me 100+ times and I really need to just stop reading the damn strib...

FWIW Beal is also touring Michigan State. Here's hoping, but at this stage I remain skeptical, with Beal right now shopping "Big Ten or Pac-10 schools".

Unfortunately Sid is told 'visiting" Minnesota and in his mind hears " is coming to' Minnesota and thats what ends up on print. We're pretty used to it by now. Sid is such a legend and it is remarkable he is still doing all his jobs at his age but it's time to take a step back, keep doing the radio show but time to retire the column. The twin cities papers will merge soon enough and shooter will take that spot eventually.

Unfortunately Sid is told 'visiting" Minnesota and in his mind hears " is coming to' Minnesota and thats what ends up on print. We're pretty used to it by now. Sid is such a legend and it is remarkable he is still doing all his jobs at his age but it's time to take a step back, keep doing the radio show but time to retire the column. The twin cities papers will merge soon enough and shooter will take that spot eventually.

Personally I think he is worse on Radio than in print. But he is a legend and has given a ton to the local teams. And is one of the few gopher backers in the media.

Bummer about Senile Sid.. lol Can't say I'm not surprised, though.

Say what you will but I hope I am that functional at age 90.

Big Time College Football Recruiting is not picking off the scrap heap from Big Time College programs.

If Sam was not going to JC, I wonder if we'd be on this kid's radar. Hopefully he sees a great chance at playing time here. Plus, this new stadium we have has to start luring in more and more prospects.

Does anybody have any new information on the possible transfer of Beal to the Gophers! I hope he indeed chooses to come play for us as he would have a great opportunity to start for us!

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom