Breaking from the Athletic: Big 10 to invite Washington and Oregon

If going to 5 team pods, add ND and Stanford:

Pod 1: USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Oregon

Pod 2: Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois

Pod 3: Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, Northwestern

Pod 4: OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers

You play the teams in your pod and two teams from each of the other 3 divisions.
9 game schedule and you play a whole other pod I’d guess would make it simpler.

I think if ND turns it down.....the Big Ten would look to grab an ACC team. Six teams out west makes no sense.....unless the true target is more than 20 teams in the conference.....which I pray that it isn't.
The true target is as many as necessary. I think the only thing that could stop it at 20 would be some government intervention (anti-trust or whatever).

I think if ND turns it down.....the Big Ten would look to grab an ACC team. Six teams out west makes no sense.....unless the true target is more than 20 teams in the conference.....which I pray that it isn't.
Might want to pray a bit harder, only way I see them sticking to 20 is if we stay at 18 now and when the ACC collapses, they only get 2 schools interested....which I think is unlikely. I think 24 is the target at this point and we'll have 2 power conferences with a little brother in the Big-12.

One division could be called the Pac-10 and the other division the Big-10, and then the winners of each division could play each other for the championship. Maybe we could hold the championship game in Pasadena and call it the Rose Bowl.
Maybe even have a big parade with floats and marching bands on the day of the championship. I wonder what day we should do this?

Maybe even have a big parade with floats and marching bands on the day of the championship. I wonder what day we should do this?
Given the new 17 game regular season...Groundhog Day.

If the Pac10 completely disappears I have to wonder what becomes of bowl games. It’s fun to watch teams from different conferences play each other in bowl games but with fewer conferences that makes it less likely to happen and less appealing to me. I’m sure they’ll figure something out so different conferences still play but will feel more like just another non-conference game imo. The fun in college football is beginning to end for me. I’m sure the Rose Bowl just stays a playoff game though.

I think if ND turns it down.....the Big Ten would look to grab an ACC team.
Conveniently, Miami (FL) as of 2023, is now an Association of American Universities (AAU) school...

Forget the Notre Dame pipe dream.

There will be a 20 team Big Ten

Stanford & Cal will be 19 & 20

The Big Ten will have (if you count NYC for Rutgers) the following metro areas:

NYC 1st
LA 2nd
Chicago 3rd
Balti-Wash 4th
Bay Area (Counting SJ) 5th
Philly 8th
Detroit-AA 12th
SeaTac 13th
MSP 16th
Portland 20th

Unless Cal agrees to accept a quarter share of annual revenue for the entirety of their membership they'll never be invited to the B1G. They add nothing.

Stanford's only chance of getting into the B1G is if ND makes it a condition that they are a package deal.

Bring on more PAC teams, the more of em that have to play in our backyards in November the better

Any chance they completely rebrand? Lose the "10" and just call it the "Big Conference" Or maybe lose the "Big" as well...

You can do 20 right now by adding Stanford and Notre Dame. That happens today if Notre Dame says yes. In this scenario Howie's pod allocation is correct.

The biggest you can go is 24. That will take time because the ACC has an ironclad contract.

With 24, you simply do pods of 6. I don't know the ideal number of conference games you'd want to play, but with 24 teams you'd look hard at 10 or 11 with a 4-team playoff. With 11, you play 2 teams from every other pod, so you'd play everyone every three years.

The ACC Targets would be:
UNC
Virginia
Georgia Tech
FSU
Clemson
Miami

The Super Conferences would dictate the championship game. They wouldn't and don't need the NCAA or the other conferences. It'd be SEC vs Big 10 every year.

Notre Dame would have to choose a league or get shutout of the national title. Bigger conferences are bad news for Norte Dame. The big boys gain power and dictate terms.

I suspect Notre Dame and Stanford would join the Big 10. Then the Big Ten would heavily target those 6 schools above. But Stanford could be SOL if too much time passes. They could be greatly diminished.

Stanford should be doing everything it can, right now, to get Notre Dame to hold hands with them and jump to the Big Ten.

If we are adding Washington and Oregon why not add Utah the Utes? They probably qualify with all of the academic stuff?

If we are adding Washington and Oregon why not add Utah the Utes? They probably qualify with all of the academic stuff?

The answer will be the (arbitrary) AAU credential. Edit: They are now bestowed. The truth is the Utes have a rabid fan base, SLC is an awesome place to visit, and they would be a nice addition.

I'm expecting a 20-team B1G will include 3 divisions, 10 game conference schedule and a 4-team conference B1G Championship playoff.

Would be our current E/W divisions plus a 6-team Pacific Division.

Things stay sort of the same and are yet new.

Don't say the NCAA will not allow a 4-team conference play-off. The B1G will be telling the NCAA what they will be doing at that point.
I’m expecting a 20 team big ten will have 4 scheduling groups.
No divisions. But you play your group plus one entire group.

You okay every team in the conference home and home in 6 years.

West: USC, UCLA, Nebraska, Washington, Oregon

North: Minnesota, wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois

Central: Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue

East: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, 2 of Florida State, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Virginia, Clemson

If you add all 6 you no longer are at a number to build a schedule consistently as a conference as we know it. Would need to accept some teams never playing each other or go to a 12 game game conference schedule.
Play your group (5), play an entire other group (6), play one locked opponent for a rival OR a random opponent. You would still play everyone home and home over 6 years in this model.

West:
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Iowa (locked Minnesota)
Nebraska

North:
Minnesota (locked Iowa)
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Michigan (locked Ohio state)
Michigan state

East
Ohio State (locked Michigan)
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue
Penn State
Rutgers

South :
Maryland
Florida State
North Carolina
Virginia
Clemson
Georgia Tech

I’m expecting a 20 team big ten will have 4 scheduling groups.
No divisions. But you play your group plus one entire group.

You okay every team in the conference home and home in 6 years.

West: USC, UCLA, Nebraska, Washington, Oregon

North: Minnesota, wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois

Central: Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue

East: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, 2 of Florida State, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Virginia, Clemson

If you add all 6 you no longer are at a number to build a schedule consistently as a conference as we know it. Would need to accept some teams never playing each other or go to a 12 game game conference schedule.
Play your group (5), play an entire other group (6), play one locked opponent for a rival OR a random opponent. You would still play everyone home and home over 6 years in this model.

West:
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Iowa (locked Minnesota)
Nebraska

North:
Minnesota (locked Iowa)
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Michigan (locked Ohio state)
Michigan state

East
Ohio State (locked Michigan)
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue
Penn State
Rutgers

South :
Maryland
Florida State
North Carolina
Virginia
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Flex schedule concept works with just about any any number teams.

How are people thinking any of the ACC schools are going to get out of their stupid long-ass contract?

Flex schedule concept works with just about any any number teams.
Not 19 21 23 25 27 (because no 9 game schedule works at those numbers)

You are correct. But the flex schedule has a ton of options for 3-4 way ties where no teams played each other. At 18 that number goes up. At 20 that number goes up.
Schedule groups with closed round robins can take the number of possibilities of 3 way ties where no one played to 0

Last edited:

So much for that big schedule release special 🤷‍♂️

The one who comes out looking good here is Rutgers. They were never a part of the old Big Ten, are awful and low-value for football, and now they get to be a part of the Mega Voltron Big Ten when it all plays out

So much for that big schedule release special 🤷‍♂️

The one who comes out looking good here is Rutgers. They were never a part of the old Big Ten, are awful and low-value for football, and now they get to be a part of the Mega Voltron Big Ten when it all plays out
Same with Maryland
And Nebraska

The U chimes in:

Statements From Interim President Jeff Ettinger and Director of Athletics Mark Coyle

Earlier today, the Big Ten, Oregon and Washington announced that Oregon and Washington would be joining the Big Ten conference in 2024.

University of Minnesota Interim President Jeff Ettinger and Director of Athletics Mark Coyle have issued the following statements about this news.

University of Minnesota Interim President, Jeff Ettinger
"Throughout its history, the Big Ten has been an amazing collection of universities and the University of Minnesota is proud to be one of the original members of this conference. Big Ten universities are America's leading research universities, with alumni that live not only in every corner of the country, but across the globe. Washington and Oregon will fit the unrivaled tradition of academic excellence, discovery and innovation that's synonymous with the Big Ten. We are excited for Washington and Oregon to join that tradition and add to the Big Ten's future legacy."

University of Minnesota Director of Athletics, Mark Coyle
"I am excited to welcome Oregon and Washington to the Big Ten. These are two universities that prioritize academic excellence and broad-based athletic success. They will bring tremendous visibility, as well as passionate fan and alumni bases to the league. Their addition strengthens the Big Ten and further solidifies it as the premier national conference in college athletics. As a Big Ten charter member, we look forward to competing against the Ducks and the Huskies."

Go Gophers!!

If it's true that Oregon and Washington agreed to a smaller revenue split then that sets a scary precedent for schools like us in the future.

Top Bottom