BREAKING: Elijah Hawkins to transfer

I'm glad to see Ben has developed such solid, meaningful connections and commitments from his players. :rolleyes:
Right because clearly this is just a Ben Johnson and Minnesota issue. Definitely not seeing tons of players jumping into the portal all over the country.

Look at the thread specifically dedicated to the Big Ten transfers. Michigan State, Northwestern, Oregon and Purdue are the only teams with less than 3 players in the portal right now.

There is very little loyalty and commitment from players across the country. A coaching change is no guarantee to help but if the team struggles in 24/25 we will get to find out.

Must be the microchip controlling his mind. That or the main stream media.
Hey Selection Sunday.....I'm still wearing my mask and am fully vaccinated.........Because my thirty year old son is fighting for his life against a rare cancer and can't get afford to even get a cold. Try thinking about someone other than yoursef for a change. I have been done with you self absorbed assholes for years!.....Sorry for using your comment Gold Vision.

Just in case that's not true, Ben has about 8 days to get five more guys. So far he has one. Poor Ben.
Pretty sure you have to be in the portal by May 1st to be eligible for the upcoming season but you don't have to be committed to another school by May 1st.

That said, who knows what if any rules are even still in effect and I am sure someone can just sue if they want to enter the portal after May 1st and will have no trouble getting immediate eligibility because that is how things seem to work now.

I keep hearing that the NCAA should have done something sooner. The NCAA and the Universities don't mind this new system at all. They found a way to get the players paid, without them paying!! The Gophers make 100M on the BTN contract (or whatever the figure is) whether they field a competitive team or not.
This! The ncaa/universities are coating their pockets while essentially forcing fans to pay for the players and then blaming us if it didn't work! It's one of the greatest scams in history!

Between the failure of college athletics, the terrible ads on this site and the prolification of right wing losers, I am done with this site. Hope you right wingers enjoy the results of Roevember this fall. Later.

Pretty sure you have to be in the portal by May 1st to be eligible for the upcoming season but you don't have to be committed to another school by May 1st.

That said, who knows what if any rules are even still in effect and I am sure someone can just sue if they want to enter the portal after May 1st and will have no trouble getting immediate eligibility because that is how things seem to work now.

According to "the rules" I believe grad transfers can enter anytime but I do agree with your "Rules? We don't need no stinking rules!" sentiment.

This! The ncaa/universities are coating their pockets while essentially forcing fans to pay for the players and then blaming us if it didn't work! It's one of the greatest scams in history!
It's the next float in the endless parade of money pits for the fans to throw their money down. We already pay a good amount for tickets. On top of that, they added the seat license "donations," which now you can no longer deduct from your taxes (when is a donation not a donation?). Then basically requiring people to pay to watch the games on TV, when they used to be over the air. Now we're getting turned upside down and shaken to see what still might be left in our pockets to pay for this bullshit. It's one thing to let players enjoy the preexisting fruits of their labor; it's another thing to keep shaking fans down for more and more of their hard-earned money.

Call me crazy but if Ben has more years like last year - middle of Big Ten pack and being NIT participants - wouldnt that be about the same success that PJ has had? Lets not act like PJ is putting together world-beater rosters every year here
They compete in the Big Ten. Almost every year. They aren't an easy beat year in year out. PJ gets kids to stay and kids to come here. It's not even close comparing these 2 coaches. And he has done it with a program that can be argued as one of the worst power 5 football programs of all time.

It doesn't seem overly complicated what the plan for us at the U should be going forward - We need to need live in the portal for the low to mid major guys AND you really need a coach that has a system, knows Xs and Os, can scout, and do all of the things that are true basketball coaching.

If we can start to build from that and win games, I'd imagine the support and NIL will grow. Maybe then you get more of the talent to stick around.

We've already got an OK NIL base and our support is very low and the team isn't very good.

The VAST majority of kids in college basketball are not getting big money. We need to be better than the other programs that deal with the same issues we do, and that's also the majority of programs.

Alright this is my last response to you because if you're going to continue to post everyday that Coyle is a bigger problem than Ben, then you are clueless. Plus you just continue to make up nonsense to try and support your terrible opinion.

If other sports at the U were having this problem then maybe I would agree with you. This is a Ben Johnson problem, and it ends there. When they hire a new, competent coach after next season, suddenly NIL won't look like such an issue.
I guess I'm just a simple guy trying to understand how this works. Since it sounds like you are in a teaching mode - help me understand. How many more coaches will it take for Coyle to turn the BB program around? Does he need 1, 2, or even 3 more BB coaches to get it right?

Can you give me a rough decade when you think we will all hit the jackpot with Coyle's hiring prowess? (anything beyond the 2050s may become problematic for me)

They compete in the Big Ten. Almost every year. They aren't an easy beat year in year out. PJ gets kids to stay and kids to come here. It's not even close comparing these 2 coaches. And he has done it with a program that can be argued as one of the worst power 5 football programs of all time.
All time??? Multiple national championships say otherwise

Hey Selection Sunday.....I'm still wearing my mask and am fully vaccinated.........Because my thirty year old son is fighting for his life against a rare cancer and can't get afford to even get a cold. Try thinking about someone other than yoursef for a change. I have been done with you self absorbed assholes for years!.....Sorry for using your comment Gold Vision.
Just make sure you don't ever read his Twitter...

Yes. But Hawkins is the only notable transfer we've signed later than that.

Interesting group of teams that have reached out thus far.
This is another example of why I don't think it is poaching, Hawkins got an agent who then reaches out to his contacts to find out what he would command in the market place, then communicates it to his client, who decides to enter the portal.

Yes. But Hawkins is the only notable transfer we've signed later than that.
And? Still doesn't mean he has to fill all the open spots by May 1st. If it takes longer it takes longer. Most important part is finding the right guys, not rushing to fill spots. Johnson knows he has to win in 24/25, if he can't find the players he needs then he will get fired.

This is another example of why I don't think it is poaching, Hawkins got an agent who then reaches out to his contacts to find out what he would command in the market place, then communicates it to his client, who decides to enter the portal.
I mean that is still essentially poaching if it involves a player who is not in the portal. A player not in the portal shouldn't have an agent trying to find him a new deal.

Mountaineer- so sorry about your son. You are doing absolutely the right thing for your situation! I've never been vaxxed but would have in your situation and likely so would have SS, who is a great poster on this site, really decent human being. His frustration and mine is that there was a mass push for people who didn't need the vax or mask to go ahead and do those things anyway. That is just as wrong as if someone belittled you for doing what you needed to do. Go in peace. SS is certainly not a self absorbed asshole from what I can see here.

There is a lot left to be determined about the vax and the origins of Covid. In the meantime the best thing we can do is root for each other to do well, while we make our own decisions. Best to you!

I am not sure "sucks" covers it.

The thing is, I am not sure there is a solution to fix it. We all know the schools will never "hire" the players as employees because they won't want to deal with a players union, and we know the courts seem to have no interest in allowing college sports to be what it once was. Is there any sort of middle ground we can find that will make this all work?

Unlike football what made college basketball great was while there was haves and have nots even no name schools can make a run in the tourny. Sure you might not win, but who cares making the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight or Final Four is still a fantastic season! All it took was a couple really good players on a veteran team and you can pull a couple upsets and become a Cinderella. Everyone loved it because everyone legit had a chance. That is going to go away as now no team is going to be veteran enough to pull that off.
I don't see any way they can make it work with Title IX issues.

I mean that is still essentially poaching if it involves a player who is not in the portal. A player not in the portal shouldn't have an agent trying to find him a new deal.
Having an agent and being in the portal are two different things entirely, an agent is there to find the best NIL deal and let's face it that is through the schools collectives. The communication that goes on between the collective and the program is another issue all together, that is where the sketchiness starts in my mind but it is under the covers and almost impossible to detect in any case.

I suppose it can be argued; and a monkey can fly out of my butt.

One of the worst power 5 programs of all time is a really niave statement. Are you just answering little bit emotionally here?

The NCAA credits us as 10th in football National Championships. We have 3rd most Big Ten titles.

Having an agent and being in the portal are two different things entirely, an agent is there to find the best NIL deal and let's face it that is through the schools collectives. The communication that goes on between the collective and the program is another issue all together, that is where the sketchiness starts in my mind but it is under the covers and almost impossible to detect in any case.
There is all kinds of sketchiness built into the system for teams/players/collectives to hide behind.

Mountaineer- so sorry about your son. You are doing absolutely the right thing for your situation! I've never been vaxxed but would have in your situation and likely so would have SS, who is a great poster on this site, really decent human being. His frustration and mine is that there was a mass push for people who didn't need the vax or mask to go ahead and do those things anyway. That is just as wrong as if someone belittled you for doing what you needed to do. Go in peace. SS is certainly not a self absorbed asshole from what I can see here.

There is a lot left to be determined about the vax and the origins of Covid. In the meantime the best thing we can do is root for each other to do well, while we make our own decisions. Best to you!
Well said, and i agree wish Mountaineer the best

College Sports are broken and will soon be going into a rapid decline. It needs to be fixed by installing rules on NIL money limits (just like all PRO leagues that have salary caps).

The Conference's /NCAA/Congress have got to build the rules that level the playing field so that all teams have the same limit on their pool of money to be spent on players NIL contracts and how much freshman/sophomores/juniors/seniors/grad can make each year. Also some limits on the number of times a player can use the portal/transfer (or sit out the season penalties).

The courts took the power away from the NCAA, now it has to somehow be reestablished a collection of power that can satisfy the courts.

Yeah I know...ugh this sucks.

Can we please leave the politics to the off topic board guys. Good lord not everything has to devolve into that crap.
I agree but SS had to be defended there even though I get Mountaineer's situation and feel for him.

Top Bottom