Breaking Down the Gophers Big Ten Schedule

howeda7

Reaction score
Here's how I see the breakdown this year:

Near "Must-Wins":

Iowa
@PSU (I would normally never put any B1G road game in this category, but I will make an exception here)
Nebraska
Northwestern (This is borderline, but it's the type of game we really need to win.)

Likely Losses:

@Illinois
@MSU
OSU (I would again normally never say never for a home game, but this seems a valid exception)
@Wiscy

Toss-ups: We likely need to go 5-5 in these to reach the 9-9 target:

@Michigan (border-line, this should be a likely loss but we've won @ Crisler before, not so much at Illinois)
Purdue
@Indiana
Illinois
@Iowa
@Nebraska
Wiscy
@NW
MSU
Indiana

Finding a way to get 2 road wins out of trips to Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern and IU is key. If they can do that, I think they can find 3 home wins and get to the magic 9th B1G win.

Let us keep this in mind for the next week, as the Gophers likely start 0-2 and everyone freaks out. Those 2 games do not define the season and getting a win would be nothing but a huge bonus.

We have a chance of going undefeated this season in the B1G, and the same chance of going without a win.

for all stats people, that is (1/2)^18 which equals 1/262,144 either way.

Now let's place our bets.

We have a chance of going undefeated this season in the B1G, and the same chance of going without a win.

for all stats people, that is (1/2)^18 which equals 1/262,144 either way.

Now let's place our bets.

Every game is a coin flip?

Very true, and some are 2-headed coins, and some 2-tailed coins. Aw hell, I don't know.

That would be the coin used when you play at Kohl Center. The 'talks' Bo Ryan has with the officials before the game ensures they will use it. Either that or the horse head he leaves in their hotel beds.

howeda7...silly me to have forgotten about the magic of Bo at the Kohl Center.

We have a [(1/2)*(5/8)]^2 chance to win in Madison.

I thought I heard Doc Don did not like predictions?

I thought I heard Doc Don did not like predictions?

Parski...Doc does NOT make predictions. I use probability and statistics to make educated guesses only.

After all, GopherHole is made up of gazillions of experts who use statistics from the past to predict the future of experimental probabilities.

After all, GopherHole is made up of gazillions of experts who use statistics from the past to predict the future of experimental probabilities.

Well, gazillions of experts and one old man that thinks he is far wittier than reality may suggest. No offense intended or anything, but as I said earlier: the schtick has gotten a bit stale for a fair amount of folks.

Well, gazillions of experts and one old man that thinks he is far wittier than reality may suggest. No offense intended or anything, but as I said earlier: the schtick has gotten a bit stale for a fair amount of folks.

Stoa...then put me on your ignore list.

btw, when you make a lead in statement, and follow it with the word but that means you did intend offense.

I have never attacked you with personal crap.

To re-visit with the games ranked, after two tough losses. To sum up, we played the 14th and 15th easiest games on the schedule and nearly won both. Let's not panic yet.

Here's how I see the breakdown this year:

Near "Must-Wins":

1. Iowa
2. Nebraska
3. @PSU
4. Northwestern

Toss-ups: We likely need to go 5-5 in these to reach the 9-9 target:

5. Purdue
6. Illinois
7. @Iowa
8. @Nebraska
9. Indiana
10. @NW
11. Wiscy
12. MSU
13. @Indiana
14. @Michigan (L 61-56)

Likely Losses:

15. @Illinois (L 81-72, 2OT)
16. @MSU
17. OSU
18. @Wiscy

Finding a way to get 2 road wins out of trips to Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern and IU is key. If they can do that, I think they can find 3 home wins and get to the magic 9th B1G win.

Let us keep this in mind for the next week, as the Gophers likely start 0-2 and everyone freaks out. Those 2 games do not define the season and getting a win would be nothing but a huge bonus.

To re-visit with the games ranked this after two tough losses. To sum up, we played the 14th and 15th easiest games on the schedule and nearly won both. Let's not panic yet.

"Finding a way to get 2 road wins out of trips to Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern and IU is key. If they can do that, I think they can find 3 home wins and get to the magic 9th B1G win."

That road win at IU is looking more and more difficult.

"Finding a way to get 2 road wins out of trips to Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern and IU is key. If they can do that, I think they can find 3 home wins and get to the magic 9th B1G win."

That road win at IU is looking more and more difficult.

True. I wasn't buying the hype before, but it's tough to write-off wins over Kentucky and OSU. I guess we will need to hope for 2 of 3 road wins over Iowa, Nebraska and NW.

Indiana seems like it will be like a lot of old clem teams. No winning in assembly hall, but the road will be a different story

Top Bottom