Breaking down POD Concept for Realignment

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Our guy Greg Flugaur is breaking down information on Twitter about the SEC considering going to 4 PODS of 4 teams in realignment to create more championship content and money. 8 games conference season with the 4 POD champs meeting in Conference semi-final and the rest of the conference getting cross-overs for 9th game. Might push the Big 10 to go get 2 more teams and do the same. He's a good follow if you like to keep up on the football realignment.

This would keep all teams at 12 games plus a 13th for the two teams that get to championship.

I don’t really see how that increases their ability to monetize it and exposes them to greater risk by existing potential championship caliber teams to late losses, which have seemed to historically tank your odds more than early ones.

fun for teams in the sec to hang banners (pod a champion sure has a ring to it 😂) but yawn to most CFB fans id imagine

I wonder what the unexpected information is here? sec looking at pods is not new...been out there for a while.

I don’t really see how that increases their ability to monetize it and exposes them to greater risk by existing potential championship caliber teams to late losses, which have seemed to historically tank your odds more than early ones.

fun for teams in the sec to hang banners (pod a champion sure has a ring to it 😂) but yawn to most CFB fans id imagine
3 win championship!

The SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas doesn’t mean that the big ten is more profitable by adding Kansas and Oklahoma state

I wonder what the unexpected information is here? sec looking at pods is not new...been out there for a while.
That the B1G might be looking at expansion sooner than some thought.

The problem for the SEC with going to 9 conf games has always been that four of their teams have yearly in-state rivalries with a corresponding ACC team. That gives them a defacto extra P5 game. We (the Big Ten) has the same situation with Iowa, but that's only a one-off.

Also, I assume these semi-final games would be on-campus. But that means basically two of the teams are getting shafted for a 5th road game, and it is never guaranteed to balance out.

He
The SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas doesn’t mean that the big ten is more profitable by adding Kansas and Oklahoma state
He's thinking an East team and a Midwest team

All likely depends on if playoff goes to 8 or 12 teams and what the auto bids become.

He doesn't see it being an ACC or PAC12 team.
Which makes sense, given the new Alliance essentially being a soft agreement not to raid each other. But Big XII teams (and others, if it made sense) are still on the table.

If you're talking truly East though, not in the ACC, but in the AAU or academically/research good enough to be it, and good enough athletics/fanbase/market to warrant the invite ..... who is there to talk about?? UConn? West Virginia is just not good enough academically.

He

Name one team that adds more than 100 million in revenue?

Right now 15 way split of 55 million each is 825 million dollars.

to raise the payout to 60 million divided 16 ways you’d need 960 million in revenue.

Are you going to change the conference structure for an extra 1 million per school. Because if you are willing to do that the new add would have to add at least 70 million in value per year.

PS it was estimated that the ENTIRE BIG 12 was worth About 170-180 million per year after Texas and Oklahoma leaving but before adding.

to up 2 teams and have teams come out even…the two schools would need to add at least 110 million in revenue to the pot. To break even. To break even.

So B1G would get?
3- Non-Conference Games (1 G-5, 1 PAC12, 1 ACC)
9- Conference games (3 POD, 5other, and 1 Cross-over in final week)

All likely depends on if playoff goes to 8 or 12 teams and what the auto bids become.
The alliance is going to absolutely stonewall playoff expansion without objective criteria for getting in and league next bid numbers like 2 per league max.

the “alliance” is for scheduling
But the alliance is for a voting block on playoff future

A voting bloc, but only 3 out of 11 that get a vote (which includes Notre Dame).

He

With the alliance, I don't see B1G expansion, certainly not by grabbing an ACC team. With the additions coming to Big XXII, I'm not seeing where the teams would come from...no way B1G looks at the remaining G5 teams to expand.

I think folks are selling this alliance thing short because of the lack of concrete details.

Their big idea will involve steamrolling over the NCAA by adding conference semi-finals, effectively expanding the college football season halfway through December.

With the alliance, I don't see B1G expansion, certainly not by grabbing an ACC team. With the additions coming to Big XXII, I'm not seeing where the teams would come from...no way B1G looks at the remaining G5 teams to expand.

I think folks are selling this alliance thing short because of the lack of concrete details.
It would have to be remaining Big XII teams, and the AAU ones are Kansas and Iowa State. Like it or not, Some Guy has a valid point: adding those two would probably, at best, just maintain the pro rata on the media contracts to continue getting the $5x million per school, per year. Schools would enjoy a bit of an uptick as the two newbs had to ramp up their piece of the pie, like Rutgers and Maryland have had to do. But then onward ... not sure.

Their big idea will involve steamrolling over the NCAA by adding conference semi-finals, effectively expanding the college football season halfway through December.
Would have to be true additional games, to make it work. It's not going to work to have the semis be the 9th conf game among four unknown teams.

So B1G would get?
3- Non-Conference Games (1 G-5, 1 PAC12, 1 ACC)
9- Conference games (3 POD, 5other, and 1 Cross-over in final week)
4 nonconference games as PAC12 and B1G would go back to 8 conference games. Would mean 10 P5 games every year.

2 G5 home games
alternating home/away with PAC12 and ACC teams (1 home/1 away per year)
8 conf games (4 home/4 away per year)
- 6 West games
- 2 East games (1 long-term or locked in if rivalry - like Purdue IU - and 1 rotating over the other six ?)

Would work nicely.

Iowa can substitute one Alliance game for the Iowa State yearly game. The ACC will have four teams like that as well. It'll work out.

It would have to be remaining Big XII teams, and the AAU ones are Kansas and Iowa State. Like it or not, Some Guy has a valid point: adding those two would probably, at best, just maintain the pro rata on the media contracts to continue getting the $5x million per school, per year. Schools would enjoy a bit of an uptick as the two newbs had to ramp up their piece of the pie, like Rutgers and Maryland have had to do. But then onward ... not sure.
Not going to happen. First, the alliance was put in place to address the feeling of a need to expand. Second, Big XII expansion plans. Third, there are no desirable teams of the current eight left.

Basically what I figured would happen. And it would work out if (once) they expand to 20 teams. Really with the scenario I have set up below.....if would great as every other team in your pod would play the exact same conference schedule (other than home/away) and one team wouldn't end up with Alabama while another gets Vandy:

The more I think about it....the more I think 20 team conferences makes sense. Four pods of five teams. Then you crossover with one other every year. So that's four games against the rest of the division and then five against one other region. You end up hitting every other team in the conference at least once every three years.

Then you could also do a four team conference playoff.

Really.....this is what the G5 conferences should do. Three 20 team conferences. More exposure with a conference playoffs and a chance to tack on a few extra wins for CFP contention.

4 pods - final week of scheduling includes teams with similar records (East vs East Central) (west central vs West). Each pod fighting the similar ranked other teams pod members for "Pod supremacy." Plus, it creates a two week playoff system where Pod champions play another pod champion and the winner of those pod games gets to play in the SEC championship game. This would create more must see games and hence create more media coverage. The goal of the SEC is to become so dominant even a 2 loss team would be seen as more favorable than a 1 loss team from other conferences. With ESPN and CBS already slanting their coverage to the SEC and officials who are willing to call games as the SEC see fit (Auburn vs Penn State) its not about reality but the narrative on creates. things don't balance out unless B1G can get some playoff games in the North.

I think the whole point of this discussion is more pointing out that the current big ten divisions are probably going to change in the next 5 years anyway because a lot of schools don't like them. If the SEC goes to a POD structure, that might force the B1G's hand a bit because a lot of the schools also like the idea of pods, but you need 2 more teams to do it.

I don't think this is a situation where the B1G gets to pick the school they want, but more that if the SEC moves to pods and it is successful in any fashion, a lot of the current member schools will want the same and may not care as much about some of the current "requirements" for epansion.

Maybe someone can explain how doing 4x4 instead of 2x8 allows for more opportunity to monetize.

Pods are not about money. Pods are about one thing: no one in the SEC wants to have Alabama (and Auburn) in their division, and the Mississippi schools have no say in the matter.

Top Bottom