Braelon Oliver (Sr LB) Into the Portal

Ok, those are fair points, but what's your solution to the current NIL system?
I don’t have a magic bullet solution. It could take years for the college game to normalize again. There are college QBs getting $5M NIL offers. There are hundreds and hundred of college football players busting their asses and being “paid” nothing. The disparities are creating a highly-paid professional class, a moderately paid middle class, and large and essentially unpaid “underclass,” all playing in the same field, laboring for the same league of teams. NIL could be democratized in some ways, like team NIL total dollar caps, and minimum NIL revenue payments to all team members, but how to accomplish this with the NIL dollars entering the system outside the NCAA and the teams themselves makes regulation dicier. But something will happen or the college game might self-destruct. Easy movement via the transfer portal combined with big NIL dollars available for top transfers is making for roster chaos.

Even coaches have buyouts and other contract clauses that make a change more difficult than just walking out the door. There needs to be some sort of skin in the game for players jumping ship too. Fans (paying customers) expect at least some semblance of team loyalty or they won't be fans anymore.

If I'm understanding the news correctly, transfers will get more difficult next year. That might be one reason there's a rush to the exits for many players right now.
Coaches can and do leave easily (Riley, Kelly, Satterfield and even Brohm). Buyouts and other clauses have little effect, if any. Players should be allowed to transfer at least once without any consequences.

Maybe he wanted to play closer to home but isn't GT terrible?

I don’t have a magic bullet solution.
I know it sounds bass-ackwards, but I actually think it would be better will collective bargaining for P5 players and contracts with teams. The NFL doesn't have this level of "free movement" for players (even though the coaches do!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Shock horror!!! Not fair!!!!), and that's a good thing!

I think players coming into a P5 program should sign a two or three year contract with the school.

Something along these lines. We will see what ends up happening.

I know it sounds bass-ackwards, but I actually think it would be better will collective bargaining for P5 players and contracts with teams. The NFL doesn't have this level of "free movement" for players (even though the coaches do!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Shock horror!!! Not fair!!!!), and that's a good thing!

I think players coming into a P5 program should sign a two or three year contract with the school.

Something along these lines. We will see what ends up happening.
In the NFL coaches don't have free movement, nor do players. In college, both have free movement at this time.

The portal is the worst thing to ever happen to college football!
Free market vs held in captivity? I take free market everytime. College sports are an extended income maker and business for Universities. Workers should have unrestricted options. This puts a check on abusive coaches.

In the NFL coaches don't have free movement, nor do players. In college, both have free movement at this time.
What are the restrictions on coaches in the NFL, that aren't in place in college?

I'm not surprised I didn't know they were more, but I guess the general point I was making is that coaches have more freedom of movement than the players do.

It benefits the product (on the field, on the TV) to have some, SOME restriction of movement of players between teams.

Not saying almost none, like it was .... but we've swung all the way to the other side.

What are the restrictions on coaches in the NFL, that aren't in place in college?

I'm not surprised I didn't know they were more, but I guess the general point I was making is that coaches have more freedom of movement than the players do.

It benefits the product (on the field, on the TV) to have some, SOME restriction of movement of players between teams.

Not saying almost none, like it was .... but we've swung all the way to the other side.
Contracts are what holds them in place

Like I mentioned when we were talking about Ky Thomas. You can't be mad at Braelon for wanting to go home and play and at the same time be happy when players like Quinn Carroll comes home.

Contracts are binding in the NFL and if they want to move the team gets picks or compensation in return. Also assistants can only move to promotions and not laterally without compensation or picks.

College coaches don't have contracts?
The entire structure of a league negotiating together makes it different than schools in one state compared to the other
But yeah, contracts prevent them from leaving. It’s why teams have sometimes given up draft picks for coaches under contract.

Contracts are binding in the NFL and if they want to move the team gets picks or compensation in return. Also assistants can only move to promotions and not laterally without compensation or picks.
Honestly did not know that or forgot it!

Good!

Then a similar thing should apply to college coaches, and it should be part of when P5 players organize. One of their demands. Don't know the mechanism to be able to make it work though. Obviously NFL is a single organization, where as the Big Ten and SEC don't want to do anything to help the other and hurt themselves.

Honestly did not know that or forgot it!

Good!

Then a similar thing should apply to college coaches, and it should be part of when P5 players organize. One of their demands. Don't know the mechanism to be able to make it work though. Obviously NFL is a single organization, where as the Big Ten and SEC don't want to do anything to help the other and hurt themselves.
College has buyouts, that's about all you can do. Can't trade players. Maybe cut scholarships for one year, but seems like a stretch.

College has buyouts, that's about all you can do. Can't trade players. Maybe cut scholarships for one year, but seems like a stretch.
Especially since state to state have different laws

Trading has little to do with it. I'm just talking about movement between P5 teams.

The Big Ten itself could enforce NFL like restrictions on movements within the conference, but that of course doesn't stop them from leaving the conference which is probably what happens most of the time.

I don't know how we physically get there, but P5 should be under one national organization/governing body. The NFL has it correct. That's why it is a superior product to college football.

It would have nothing to do with state laws. The NFL isn't hampered by that now.

Didn't Oliver make a clutch interception or two over his career with us?

Top Bottom